Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292163 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #795 on: 19:57:47, 20/06/19 »
I think the stylus would work on a wet screen but I'm not 100%? I'm going to drill a small hole through the top end of the stylus tomorrow (I also bought two) and with a thin string, I'm going to permanently attach it to one of my rucksack shoulder pads. I've bought them before and with me, they go missing so easily.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #796 on: 20:41:19, 20/06/19 »
I have one which I use with my Garmin GPS it works fine in the wet. I've attached it to the lanyard of my GPS with some thin string.

Litehiker

« Reply #797 on: 06:37:35, 21/06/19 »
Dunno if I already mentioned it but Had a little saga in replacing my heavy (7 1/2 lb.) Dana Designs Terraplane winter backpack.

So I bought an Osprey Atmos Large and found my -20 F. LL Bean down bag would not fit the sleeping bag compartment.
I returned the pack to my local REI in Henderson, NV (USA) and got a Deuter AirContact 65+10 which worked out perfectly.

Now I am truly ready for winter with my February purchase of an Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition parka (E.B. sez it's good to -30 F. but I've been in -40 F./C. and I know it will be OK at that temperature as well.)
Finally I got an REI FLASH All Season (R 5.3) insulated air mattress. Can't wait to try everything out next winter. I've even re-coated my ski climbing skins with new glue in anticipation. My MSR Whisperlite Universal is ready for white petrol use as well.

Been 2 years getting all this gear selected and purchased (and the old pack sold).

Eric B.
Oh, yeah, Just got an LL Bean nylon long sleeved summer shirt with avented mesh back. Living in theMojave Desert requires both synthetic material and long sleeves for sun protection. My older synthetic shirts (one is 20 years old) are, amazingly, showing signs of wear.
« Last Edit: 01:16:31, 22/06/19 by Litehiker »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #798 on: 07:47:27, 21/06/19 »
Gathering the gear together all helps to build up the anticipation for your trip, Eric. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #799 on: 07:50:43, 21/06/19 »

As posted elsewhere - a Terra Nova Quasar short alloy tent pole to replace the one I recently broke in my Trisar. Cost £36 + £3.95 P&P - that'll teach me to be clumsy! Stronger pole though, and only took a day to get to Orkney.

All set for our planned family wild camping trip to the Yesnaby cliffs!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #800 on: 11:23:16, 21/06/19 »
Something a little different for me, a rack for my mountain bike and two panniers to go on it. I'm not really much of a cyclist but there are quite a lot of hills around here with very long walk in's often along estate roads (Landover tracks). You can't take your car along them but bikes are ok. If they arrive on time I might even get to try them out this weekend.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #801 on: 12:08:09, 21/06/19 »
My Rab Vital windproof has just arrived, looks good but as reviewers suggest the hood design looks a bit 'goofy!' Can't disagree with their opinion, but what do I care as long as it does its job properly, all it has to do is protect me from windy conditions! What I am now interested in is, when in use and assuming it does its job, will I be able to carry one less layer of clothing? That's what I'm hoping to achieve.

Litehiker

« Reply #802 on: 01:19:29, 22/06/19 »
Speaking of new gear:

"It is not, 'He who dies with the most toys wins" but rather 'He who wears out the most toys wins'.   O0

Eric B.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #803 on: 09:44:57, 22/06/19 »
My Rab Vital windproof has just arrived, looks good
Is this the order you though you had made a mistake with?????
Or did you have pay out again to a different company.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Pitboot

« Reply #804 on: 15:41:48, 26/06/19 »
Two Klymit Static V sleep mats from a company in the Netherlands, half the price of UK kit:

www.frank.shop

They have some good kit on there if you look.

Just tried one of the mats here in the living room, inflation two minutes, deflation and pack away in stuff sack supplied, three minutes. Mat feels good even on bare floor in side sleep position.

taxino8

« Reply #805 on: 17:28:43, 26/06/19 »
Two Klymit Static V sleep mats from a company in the Netherlands, half the price of UK kit:

www.frank.shop

They have some good kit on there if you look.

Just tried one of the mats here in the living room, inflation two minutes, deflation and pack away in stuff sack supplied, three minutes. Mat feels good even on bare floor in side sleep position.

I have two of those. One is the Static V and the other is the insulated one.
I got mine me off Amazon last year, £49.24 for the Static V and about £64.95 for the insulated one.
I’ve just checked and they are still available on Amazon for £59.95 for the Static V.
I’ve used both of them and love them and I’m a side sleeper, they stay up and the side baffles help you from sliding off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Realtree/dp/B01BKCAWTK/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?crid=232TZ1D2VIM4T&keywords=klymit+static+v&qid=1561566075&s=gateway&sprefix=Klymi%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #806 on: 10:54:01, 27/06/19 »
My Rab Vital order was placed with another company, £42 with Trekitt, the cheapest I could find. My original cheap order (£25) just never materialized.

I'm still a little worried about it though. I still have a copy of my order which said the money had been taken, but nothing has come out of our account. To try to be safe we closed our credit card details and was told that new cards would be issued.

Replacing our credit cards proved to be difficult! My only stipulation was that my wife and I wanted NON-contactless cards. They took SIX WEEKS to arrive. I was told that they would be with us between 5-7 working days but nothing came through the letter box. I phoned them every 7 days and was told, 'lost in the post, it happens!' as their fallback throwaway line. Each week I phoned I became more and more irritated. By last Wednesday I had had enough and told a young man (he sounded young) that unless we got our cards, or a valid explanation as to why they have not arrived, I would be sending a personal letter to 'my mate' the boss of the whole shebang! I don't know him or her obviously, but it worked.

I discovered, from reading between the lines of what he told me, that nothing had been lost in the post because the various staff that I had spoken to had not ordered them in the first place. When asked why I didn't want a contactless card I replied along the lines of, I'm NOT going to accept a card and especially a credit card which has NO SECURITY attached to it whatsoever. None of the staff knew how to respond with an intelligent reply so I concluded that they are just infatuated with their training and have never thought of querying anything! I think they didn't like it because I refused to be persuaded, I actually had the gall to question the technology's lack of security, or maybe they just didn't know how to deal with a customer who was making such an outrageous request, it wasn't in their script!? After each of my phone calls were they then told not to order them? Who knows??? I did get loads of waffle though!

Our none-contactless cards arrived yesterday morning.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #808 on: 17:20:55, 27/06/19 »
I treated Mrs N to one of these
 https://www.amazon.co.uk/RFID-Blocking-Wallet-Genuine-Leather/dp/B07GN3LJL2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1UBU3FBGPXH61&keywords=credit+card+holder+rfid+blocking&qid=1561633358&s=gateway&sprefix=credit%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-6
They prevent the contactless element being used until you want it to be,
That looks a good idea for day to day use when you want to carry a few cards.

You can also buy 20 card sized blocking envelopes for less than a fiver for those who only want to carry one card or join the ultra light brigade.

They do work because I frequently test them in Asda.
Too little, too late, too bad......

taxino8

« Reply #809 on: 20:03:37, 27/06/19 »

I went for a walk up Patterdale at the weekend and decided to take my Nikon DSLR.
After several uncomfortable hours with it swinging around my neck I decided to look for a rucksack harness mount and found this on Amazon.
I’ve only tried it at home but it seems to do the job of taking the weight off my neck.

Movo Photo MB200 Universal Camera Holster Attachment System for Backpacks and Hydration Packs
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RF0CQL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy