Author Topic: Cattle again...  (Read 6455 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Cattle again...
« Reply #60 on: 17:52:42, 22/09/19 »
Always tricky to judge, what some people as an attack others see as normal cow behaviour.  I have been bothered by boisterous cows on several occasions, even had them running about and chasing towards me but I have never seen it as an attack, more playfulness coupled with curiosity.
If older cows with calves give me the eye I give them a wide berth if I can or chivvy them very gently if I can't.  The nearest to a real attack was a cow in the Alps that was confined on a path and did not want to back up.  It went head down and did a bit of hoof scratching so I told it off and waited until it calmed down.  Perhaps I have been lucky.  The hardest thing is keeping Mrs N calm - she really doesn't like them.

Standfast dog walkers - that is another debate.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 18:36:12, 22/09/19 »
There is a herd of these long horn not far from my home..they are the most docile you are likely to come across...(I think  ;) ) )
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Monsoon

« Reply #62 on: 20:51:43, 22/09/19 »
We have those Long horns here on Bodmin Moor.99% of the time as you say pretty docile,however when they have Calves with them they turn into out and out nightmares.Been chased a few times now usually when Mother is one side of the path and the Calf is the other.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 21:07:32, 22/09/19 »
We have a lot on Exmoor too.  Mostly very docile. Once met a lone mother and calf on a path who werereluctant to get out of the way. Gentle slow chivvy worked, pushed them along with kind words until they found  a place they are happy with.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 08:19:33, 23/09/19 »
Sorry to be pedantic but despite having long horns I think they are Highland cattle.

Longhorn cattle are a specific breed https://www.longhorncattlesociety.com/       Much bigger beasts

(still unable to use the buttons so can't post pics)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 08:42:18, 23/09/19 »
I agree, Jac. Looks like a Heilan' Coo to me.

PS - try Google Chrome for posting images.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 08:49:42, 23/09/19 »
Always tricky to judge, what some people as an attack others see as normal cow behaviour.  I have been bothered by boisterous cows on several occasions, even had them running about and chasing towards me but I have never seen it as an attack, more playfulness coupled with curiosity.
If older cows with calves give me the eye I give them a wide berth if I can or chivvy them very gently if I can't.  The nearest to a real attack was a cow in the Alps that was confined on a path and did not want to back up.  It went head down and did a bit of hoof scratching so I told it off and waited until it calmed down.  Perhaps I have been lucky.  The hardest thing is keeping Mrs N calm - she really doesn't like them.

Standfast dog walkers - that is another debate.

It depends what you mean by lucky.

The sort of things you recommend....being confident, being assertive, etc...work a very high percentage of the time. So you would be unlucky if it didn’t work unless you are constantly interacting with cows.

But they don’t work all the time. 4 members of my family do a lot of work of cows..they know all the “proper” techniques. All four have had a scary experience with cows at some point...with one getting a horrendous broken arm as a result of a kick.

My way of looking at it is that I’d be unlucky if the sort of stuff you recommend didn’t work on some occasion...but the result of that bad luck is potentially so extreme, that if I can sensibly do a detour round them, I will do.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 08:54:35, 23/09/19 »
Sorry to be pedantic but despite having long horns I think they are Highland cattle.

Longhorn cattle are a specific breed https://www.longhorncattlesociety.com/       Much bigger beasts

(still unable to use the buttons so can't post pics)
Interesting yes..no need to be sorry  :)

My way of looking at it is that I’d be unlucky if the sort of stuff you recommend didn’t work on some occasion...but the result of that bad luck is potentially so extreme, that if I can sensibly do a detour round them, I will do.
I agree with that ...minimise the risk & enjoy the walk
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 09:09:06, 23/09/19 »
I agree, Jac. Looks like a Heilan' Coo to me.
Definitely a Highland Cow. They look impressive, but I wouldn’t want to get too close to those horns. We once came across a group of 3 or 4 of them, including a bull. They were blocking the track on our return from a walk to the ruined village of Slaggan on the west coast. I didn’t fancy trying to squeeze between them, so we took a detour across a ditch and up the slope. They watched us, but didn’t approach any closer, although 2 more were descending the hill towards us. We got past without any issue.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 09:24:47, 23/09/19 »
I remember Slaggan - north of Poolewe, isn't it?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 09:31:25, 23/09/19 »
I remember Slaggan - north of Poolewe, isn't it?
Yes, that’s the place. It is a pretty easy walk, apart from the cows and huge numbers of buzzing insects on the way back. There were quite a few (non-Highland) cows on Slaggan beach. We saw nay a handful of other walkers at most.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 09:35:04, 23/09/19 »
I don’t usually get with kicking range if I can help it but there have been times when I have had to give them a shove to shift them!  My view is if they have room to move but are placid enough to let a stranger get close then you are probably ok.  Had an Austrian Cow that wouldn’t move no matter how hard I pushed and there was no way round. Just had to let her finish her elevenses.
I have only had one jab from a horn (up the btm too). I was taking a picture of the view and didn’t realise I was on Daisy’s lunch until she “pointed” it out.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 11:43:25, 23/09/19 »
If landowners were prepared to trust the overwhelming proportion of the public, who are law abiding, responsible and largely more supportive of their interests than the reverse, they might have seen that technology has provide the tools to overcome this and many other problems that they fail to deal with.
Most people carry mobile phones today, when I go to the cinema an usher scans a QR code immediately knows that I have payed and where I can sit.
A simple device that could be tacked onto the way mark posts the landowner and his supporting cast try to destroy.
 Should such a simple idea be explored by a more imaginative generation of landowners than we are blessed with today, I think safety protocols that circumvent the fears of invasion of precious private land as orchestrated by Lawyer / Landowner Sarah Slade could simply fall into place.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

robrymond

« Reply #73 on: 21:42:46, 29/09/19 »
I have a German Shepherd and we have had some interesting encounters over the years. However I have learnt a lot about cattle this year and behaviour and make plans for crossing fields with them in.

I have had a good herd of 30 cattle following us (mostly young). As soon as they came in a short radius of me and the dog, the dog would bark and they would disperse.

I also had my dog accidentally chase a group as I hadn't seen them in a field. He rounded them up and started to herd them back up to me. There were some calves amongst the group which worried me. The bizzare thing was, after I managed to grab and get him back on the lead, the cows all lined up and followed us up several fields in a line, no charging or hint of being put off by the dog chasing them.

I guess it depends on the herd/breed. I always try to go uphill to avoid them again as someone said on the idea that they are lazy. But I'm much more confident at shouting at them now if they get too close whereas before I used to run and that just meant they chased.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 22:47:15, 29/09/19 »
There is a herd of these long horn not far from my home..they are the most docile you are likely to come across...(I think  ;) ) )
Fluffy Coo, I do love Highland Cattle.  Yes there are plenty in Cornwall Bodmin moor near Cardinham and down on the Lizard.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy