Author Topic: Anglesey coastal path  (Read 3977 times)

flo_rence

Anglesey coastal path
« on: 12:31:57, 05/12/17 »
Hi everyone. I've just made an account on here to ask for some tips. Me and my mum (not serious walkers, but not complete couch potatoes either) want to walk the Anglesey coastal path this Easter to raise money for a charity. I was wondering if anyone has done it before and has any tips for us.

It's split into 12 stages. I can't post the link but they're on the visitanglesey website, with maps.

The different legs seem to be of very uneven length. Does anyone know why, and would it be fairly easy to change how the walk is split up, to do it in fewer than 12 days? We want to stay in B&Bs so the difficulty is making sure each leg ends up in a village with somewhere to stay.

Thanks in advance!

werringtonwalker

Re: Anglesey coastal path
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:20, 05/12/17 »
Hi Florence.

It's a wonderful walk but, as you say, some of the stages are longer than others - primarily so that they start/finish at towns/villages.

I didn't do it in a single expedition but instead in a series of day walks.  I drove to my intended finish point for the day and then caught a bus to my start point - this avoided having a race against time, with buses at a premium in parts of the island.  If you need to change some of the start/end points, you can always phone for a taxi to take you a few miles to the nearest B&B and back again the next morning.

I'd certainly recommend getting some training in before you start - with full rucksacks to replicate the weight you'll be carrying (the same recommendation holds good for any long distance walk) and you'll need to be aware that some days have quite a bit of climbing (Holyhead to Trearddur, Cemaes Bay to Amlwch, Amlwch to Church Bay in particular).  You'll also need a head for heights on occasion - especially on the aforementioned Cemaes Bay to Amlwch section. 

Tides come in to play on a few sections - so be aware of these (the website will provide details).  They might not stop you walking but they might mean a detour so plan ahead - it would  be a dreadful shame to miss the Church in the Sea near Newborough because of a high tide, for example.

I don't know if you'd find this of interest but it may give you an idea of what a wonderful walk you have in front of you:

http://angleseycoastalpath.blogspot.co.uk/
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

flo_rence

« Reply #2 on: 09:49:44, 06/12/17 »
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. That's all really useful to know, and I'm going to read the blog properly this week.

Is there any advantage to walking clockwise vs anticlockwise, and would you recommend definitely starting from Holyhead?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:08:00, 06/12/17 »
You might find this blog useful ; her writing is quite brief but detailed and the photos good too.

https://coastalwalker.co.uk/category/16-anglesey-and-north-wales/
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:19:15, 06/12/17 »
You may enjoy Coastal Walks around Anglesey by Carl Rogers (ISBN: 978-1-902512-20-4)
When I lived on the Island in 2011 I walked the Coastal Path as a series of circular routes, completing all the walks in this book during the course of a year plus a few of my own devising. All my walks were day trips so I hesitate to offer any advice on accommodation.  None of the walking was especially strenuous in my opinion but there are a quite a few steep ups and downs along the north coast that will make you blow but they don't last long and most have steps.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:44:08, 06/12/17 »
Living very close to Anglesey, ive walked most of the path, with just a few sections nearer Holyhead to complete the full 125miles.
Its only the Pentraeth, Benllech, Meolfre and Amwlch  to Wyllfa power station sections that are moderately challenging, being quite undulating, but still very easy going.

I would start from Menai Bridge, and work your way anticlockwise, so that all the undulating sections are completed first.

Holyhead back to Llanfair PG and Menai Bridge, passing through Newborough and Trearrdur Bay, is mostly flat and easy going.

Its still a magnificent walk, and the sea life, can be pretty dramatic, especially off Bull Bay near Amlwch.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #6 on: 20:41:13, 06/12/17 »
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. That's all really useful to know, and I'm going to read the blog properly this week.

Is there any advantage to walking clockwise vs anticlockwise, and would you recommend definitely starting from Holyhead?

I walked anti-clockwise and started from Menai Bridge - no real reason, purely that nobody ever left Holyhead and thought it would be a good place to walk back to  ;)  (whisper it quietly but it's not a particularly attractive town).  The walk in to Holyhead isn't a great way to finish either - it was my least favourite few miles on the island.  The walk from there to Trearrdur Bay WAS my favourite of the entire circuit though.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:02:23, 06/12/17 »
The section from Bull Bay towards Amwlch, is my favourite section.
Magnificent coastal views, and the possibility of seeing porpoise, dolphins and September (2016) a pod of killer whale was sighted by a local resident out for a walk with his dog.

Ive seen the dolphins and porpoise on two occasions, and i am not quite sure, but might have caught a sighting of a whale some distance out to sea near Porth Wen brickworks.

Every time ive ventured to this part of the Anglesey coastline, its been an adventure, frisky cows and horses intent on trampling me, and the chance encounters with rare coastal visitors.

flo_rence

« Reply #8 on: 08:58:28, 07/12/17 »
Thank you so much everyone for your replies and tips. You've definitely got our appetites whetted for the walk. We think we'll start from Menai Bridge as you suggest. Very excited about the possibility of dolphins and porpoise - we've been promised sights of them from the Dorset coast on several visits but never seen them, so hopefully the Welsh ones will turn up.

You may enjoy Coastal Walks around Anglesey by Carl Rogers (ISBN: 978-1-902512-20-4)

Thank you; I'll check it out.

You might find this blog useful ; her writing is quite brief but detailed and the photos good too.

Thank you!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy