Author Topic: Right, I'll Show Ya!  (Read 2108 times)

False_Summit_Veteran

Right, I'll Show Ya!
« on: 20:35:56, 11/04/07 »
We've all got them, friends, family, aquaintences that cant see what all the fuss is about.  Pictures mean nothing, they can't see the depth.  You describe traverses and ascents that have you shaking with excitement and they shrug their shoulders.

So you finally convince one of them to come on a walk, where would you take them.  First outing, so you don't want to scare them off coming again, sure, you want it to make them ache, make them feel like they are alive, but you want the views to make them want to do it again and again... views weather permiting naturally!

Where would you take them to?

First walk and first scramble?
Any Moel's a goal.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Right, I'll Show Ya!
« Reply #1 on: 22:33:25, 11/04/07 »
As I don't scamble (apart from eggs) I can only name a walk.

For people to get the idea what it's all about and it's really difficult to explain why, you really have to do it.

My walk would be Bamford Moor then round Stanage Edge as it's fairly easy and has some good views if the weather is fine (like it was last Friday). It also has views of Ladybower Res and some stone circles, Stanage Edge itself is also something to behold.

Start at the parking area at Dennis Knoll north of Hathersage. Follow the road SW the the footpath entrance to Bamford Moor. At SK 21555 84830 cross the heather heading NW past the glory stones (for a quick bite to eat) to the hut enclosure at SK20705 84845. You get some good views of Ladybower there. Then circle around Jarvis Clough onto the Stone Circle at SK 21525 86855 (and if you like this kind of thing it's not bad). Then back track and follow the vehical access to the road. Follow the road NE to the foot patch at the start of Stanage Edge. Then follow the footpath at the base of Stanage Edge (or the top depending on how they are) returning to the carpark.

Attached is the view of LadyBower from Bamford Moor. We'll be going back no doubt.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:40:47, 12/04/07 »
Nice pic, looks like you had a great day :D

When i have took people out for their first time, i try and arrive in Langdale when its still dark and then i just sit back and watch their faces as the sun rises, the walking to be honest, for the first time could be anything its the fact that you have them there, give them a good day and they will be back ;D

In my view anyway ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:15:28, 12/04/07 »
Exactly. I chose that one (and didn't get lost this time) as whilst you do gain a bit of altitude it's so gentle they'd not notice. Moorland, some stone circles, a nice view and some rocky bits. Oh and a pub at the end (cos you can do this by train if you want to)

Can't fault it.

Edale next for us.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:33:46, 12/04/07 »
Which way up are you going to go?

ladder or not to ladder :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:44:07, 14/04/07 »
Not decided yet. Will probably do a shortish circular route first then take in the rest on subsequent visits.

Dazza
--------

marmot

« Reply #6 on: 04:40:02, 15/04/07 »
I'd take them on shortish walks if it was me, so as not to scare them off.
1st walk Walla Crag - excellent views for the effort.
1st scramble - maybe Raven Crag to Holme Fell - quite easy scramble to a very pleasant isolated fell.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:14:45, 18/04/07 »
You know, I feel stuck out on a limb here.  I'd love nothing more than to take someone on a first hike into the hills of Cumbria, or up the spiky crags of the Peak District.

But since I happen to be born in the relatively flat region of East Yorkshire, I'd just take someone along a section of the Wolds Way - probably the Mkt Weighton - to Sth Cave section, which is a lovely stroll, full of rolling hills and gentle fields.

My first walk was down an old converted railway track, flat, fenced in by bushes, ten miles of 'sameness'.  It was the height of Summer, and I didn't take enough water with me.  A dreadful way to begin, I'd never take anyone down one of them as a start!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:50:51, 18/04/07 »
We haven't done any really big walks yet, save those until we're in Yorkshire in Sept-Oct.

We typically average between 8-12 miles on a walk. We generally do these in 4-5 hours, which isn't a lot if you're in a car for a similar amount of time. We always do circular walks (hey we like a pint at the end!)

First walk we did was around Dovedale late January. Now at Milldale there's a steep hill (for us, I'm 35 he's 30, so obviously we need to get a bit more in shape). In case you know it, it's not the one that leads to the bridge, it's 100yards past the cafe on the left hand side near some cottages (SK 13773 54737). Bloody [censored]**** Hill I called it.

Despite nearly having a coronary it didn't put us off. The sheep didn't even try and nick our sandwiches!

I now appreciate the 3D fly view on Memory Map even more.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy