Author Topic: How long do you keep your sandwiches?  (Read 8383 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
How long do you keep your sandwiches?
« on: 20:37:49, 19/10/18 »
Most people seem to take sandwiches out with them but on the Internet it says you shouldn't keep sandwiches with meat in out of the fridge for more than two hours (according to the FDA) or four hours (according to a few other US government departments). Now I'd like to take sandwiches out with me as I usually take beef jerky instead (nice but very expensive) but there's not much point for me for if you have to eat them in two hours. How long do you keep your sandwiches?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: How long do you keep your sandwiches?
« Reply #1 on: 20:45:14, 19/10/18 »
What a load of Tommy rot to be blunt. People have carried sandwiches for decades to see them through a day at work.I myself carried my sandwiches for most of my working life and cannot think of any time when it caused me a problem.
Maybe the people at the FDA are being heavily donated to by a "sandwich renewal" corporation in return for information which can lead them to huge profits. I would say typical of the US except I know  so many who are not of that ilk from over there.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:56:25, 19/10/18 »
And I used to eat ham sandwiches that my mum made for me at school that had been out of the fridge for 3 - 4 hours before I ate them too with no ill effects. How long would you push it jimbob? What about meat choice? I've been told ham is more resilient than chicken but I don't know if this is true or not. I suppose after 4 hours I'm usually going to want to eat my sandwiches but I'd like to know the longest you keep yours for without getting sick.

jo90

« Reply #3 on: 21:10:58, 19/10/18 »
When doing a multiday and providing it's not too warm,  I've carried and eaten ham and chicken that's been a few days old and it's never effected me🤢

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:12:17, 19/10/18 »
My sarnies stay cool all day when I walk in the Winter, so no chance of the meat going off then.
On hot Summer walks, I usually have a spare bottle of frozen water in my rucksack, which acts as a 'freezer block' too. Keeps my lunch nice and fresh 8)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:21:48, 19/10/18 »
I second jimbob's utter tosh and piffle sentiments  :D

The longest I've kept a chicken wrap unrefrigerated is 24 hours.  Yes, it's a bit squashed, limp and lifeless but I'm still alive and didn't get gut rot.  (wraps fare better in a rucksack than bread and are twice as filling for half the amount)

In these cooler months I wouldn't bat an eyelid at carrying any meaty type sarnie - chances are it's as "chilled" in your rucksack as in a fridge anyway.  In summer, I'd be more hesitant (particularly the summer we've just had).  In those circumstances I take a non-meaty sarnie - cheese and pickle or egg mayo.  If I really needed meat, I'd take a pork pie as they are already preserved/cured so don't need refrigeration.

Ham is a cured meat which is why it has a better unrefrigerated shelf life than chicken.  Having said that, all shop bought, pre-cooked and cut meat is processed and salted anyway to increase its shelf life.

If you're still concerned about the "chiller" factor, get one of those squishy insulated packed lunch bags from Asda/Tesco/Aldi/Morrisons/Lidl/Sainsburys/Fortnum & Mason, etc. and pop it in the freezer the night before. 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:33:45, 19/10/18 »
I've eaten some risky stuff in the past and been fine but I wondered if it was just dumb luck. I don't know why I'm so worried about the sandwiches really I'll probably take some with me tomorrow and stop being such a sandwich coward. You're all doing it and are fine so why wouldn't I be.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:48:06, 19/10/18 »
Exactly  O0

You're more at risk of getting food poisoning from a kebab than a meat sarnie that's a few hours old.

....at least you're getting out for a walk tomorrow.... I'm doing overtime at work  :'(

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:09:25, 19/10/18 »
Poor Mel.  :(  I'll think of you on my walk. It's only a short walk anyway with lots of waiting for public transport but Ridge recommended it and his last recommendation was good so I thought I'd try his other one.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:37:30, 19/10/18 »
No pressure on Ridge then  ;D

Enjoy your walk  :)

(and your sarnie  :D  )

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:06:06, 19/10/18 »
A tuna sandwich will last at least a week. Unless you leave it on the radiator. :-[

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:00:41, 20/10/18 »
Brie sandwiches are much better left on the radiator. ;D ;D
More chance of being bitten by a tick than having problems carrying sarnoies that you made up yourself.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:03:53, 20/10/18 »
I don't think I'd ever risk eating a prawn sarny that was more than a day old, even if I'd kept it cool all day but hadn't got round to eating it.
I'd most likely bin it!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:05:15, 20/10/18 »
To be honest I have never given it a thought.  What I haven't eaten one day I'll eat the next!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:16:27, 20/10/18 »
If the temperatures are cool, and let’s face it, in the uk it is for most of the year, then I’ll put anything on a sandwich, ham, egg whatever, and will leave for hours in the pack before eating.
I never eat them the next day, always making fresh but that’s just me.

On a hot day, I use jam, no need to worry about heat and you get a much needed sugar boost  :D

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy