Author Topic: How long do you keep your sandwiches?  (Read 8390 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: How long do you keep your sandwiches?
« Reply #15 on: 09:25:14, 20/10/18 »

I've certainly eaten yesterday's sandwiches many times, not older than that, but because I'd have eaten them by then, not because I binned them.
I maybe wouldn't risk a prawn one though.
I suppose those of us who grew up before sell by dates came in take a different view of these things.  An acquaintance of mine told me that his granny's sausages always tasted much better than his mother's and he didn't know why.  He couldn't understand his mother's reaction when he asked her why she never got green sausages like Granny's!

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 10:03:41, 20/10/18 »
I sometimes bring home a sarnie uneaten from a night shift, it goes in the fridge and gets taken next night. Never had a problem.
The problems arise from listening to health and safety "advice", it's bad for your mental health.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:11:47, 20/10/18 »
As a child I was bought up on bread! My fondest memory is, when hop picking in Kent with the family, I being the oldest, had to walk early morning into Cranbrook, a local village then, to the bottom of a hill by the local windmill and buy warm loaves!

Nowadays I rarely eat bread. My wife and I stopped buying ordinary bread from supermarkets a few years ago, most of it then (is it still the same?) was just air filled, chemically laden plasticy pap, which had a horrible habit of sticking like glue to the top of ones mouth. My wife rarely eats bread anyway so if purchased a loaf it will be wasted anyway. We do have a local Polish bakery, they sell very good bread and made on the premises, but its pointless in us spending out the extra money for a loaf just to waste it.

I rarely buy sandwhiches when I'm hiking, in fact I can't remember the last time? All I remember is having to eat mouthfuls of salt and all sorts of sticky goo, not nice! Plus, nowadays I'm just not prepared to pay the prices that they charge! Give me cashew nuts any day!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:25:18, 20/10/18 »
If the temperatures are cool, and let’s face it, in the uk it is for most of the year, then I’ll put anything on a sandwich, ham, egg whatever, and will leave for hours in the pack before eating.
I never eat them the next day, always making fresh but that’s just me.

On a hot day, I use jam, no need to worry about heat and you get a much needed sugar boost  :D

Jam sandwiches are greatly improved by the addition of peanut butter. They taste better and provide some slower energy release plus protein and salt. Perfect hiking food. 🙂

When I was hiking in the French Alps, I bought a baguette and some cheese, which lasted n my rucksack for several days, even with the temperature above 30 Celsius.  French cheese benefits from not being kept in the fridge.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:29:04, 20/10/18 »
If you take oatcakes n a banana with you, can be brought back n eaten next day, if not hungry!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:30:23, 20/10/18 »
Meat I prefer to eat that day except ham which has a .lot of nitrates in it so doesn't go off for ages. Cheddar will last days as far as I can tell. Peanut butter too.

I don't do sarnies longer than that as it becomes a weight-innefficient way to eat I think and I want a hot meal after a day or two.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:51:07, 20/10/18 »
No pressure on Ridge then  ;D
I can't even remember where I suggested, I hope it is ok.
On the subject of sarnies then I would happily take out ham all day though this summer I did use a small cool bag and cool block a few times as it made them more pleasant.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:37:56, 20/10/18 »
Why do the so called experts feel it necessary to put such ridculousr figures on such fundermenal things?

Ok so there will be circumstances were a chicken sandwich could go bad in  a couple of hours, but surely the guidelines should say specifically what those circumstances are, rather than just posting the worst case to cover their butts. >:(

If I don't eat my lunch sandwiches one day, I happily pop them in the fridge over night and eat them the next day.  Ok if it's really hot they go in the bin, but not often.  Waste of good food.
« Last Edit: 21:42:11, 20/10/18 by BuzyG »

Jim Parkin

« Reply #23 on: 23:49:47, 20/10/18 »
As a child I was bought up on bread! My fondest memory is, when hop picking in Kent with the family, I being the oldest, had to walk early morning into Cranbrook, a local village then, to the bottom of a hill by the local windmill and buy warm loaves!

Nowadays I rarely eat bread. My wife and I stopped buying ordinary bread from supermarkets a few years ago, most of it then (is it still the same?) was just air filled, chemically laden plasticy pap, which had a horrible habit of sticking like glue to the top of ones mouth. My wife rarely eats bread anyway so if purchased a loaf it will be wasted anyway. We do have a local Polish bakery, they sell very good bread and made on the premises, but its pointless in us spending out the extra money for a loaf just to waste it.

I rarely buy sandwhiches when I'm hiking, in fact I can't remember the last time? All I remember is having to eat mouthfuls of salt and all sorts of sticky goo, not nice! Plus, nowadays I'm just not prepared to pay the prices that they charge! Give me cashew nuts any day!
I grew up around the Weald of Kent - I think some of Dad's family came from Cranbrook way. 

There was one decent bakery, and quite a few that weren't much better (if at all) than supermarkets.  When that baker retired after a short time trying different breads, my one of my parents' friends recommended a Panasonic breadmaker. 

I have one - a previous one eventually wore out after ten years use (about eight times a week on average - some days we'd make dough for pizza as well as bread).
I have only used Panasonic breadmakers - and having spoken to quite a few people with breadmakers, it seems that only owners of Panasonic breadmakers actually keep using them, but I don't know why. 

You get a decent white loaf in four hours, and a wholemeal one in five, with a timer option up to twelve hours.  They do have a quick loaf option, of about 90 minutes, but that bread is pretty rubbish.  You also need to get the right flour. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:45:01, 21/10/18 »
Jam sandwiches are greatly improved by the addition of peanut butter. They taste better and provide some slower energy release plus protein and salt. Perfect hiking food. 🙂

Mmmmmmmm...... peanut butter and jam sarnies  :smitten:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy