Dantheman

Re: TRs
« Reply #15 on: 20:08:26, 07/11/18 »
thanks, I will need to try this out..Dan

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:59:02, 07/11/18 »
I agree re signal and battery. im new to this and walking the uk coast so prob easy to get signal in South East. I will need to bare this in mind when I get to remote locations..I wont be able to find my way!!!..Help.. Dan

You will be able to find your way.  ViewRanger doesn't need a phone signal (eg. EE, O2, etc.) to work - it uses your phone's GPS and satellites.  Switching your mobile data and wifi off, just leaving the location/GPS active will save battery life too.

However, to use buddy beacon on it you DO need a phone signal (eg. EE, O2, etc.) so that might be an issue in more remote places.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:52:49, 08/11/18 »
Very true Rob, also including killing battery life.  I think gunwharfman has some sort of beacon locator device so perhaps he'll chip in on the thread with what that is as he has a tendency towards value for money.

I read up about it, there's a dedicated satellite network called COSPAS SARSAT that personal locator beacons broadcast to when you're in distress. No good for just showing your GPS location to the internet though.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:06:57, 08/11/18 »
I read up about it, there's a dedicated satellite network called COSPAS SARSAT that personal locator beacons broadcast to when you're in distress. No good for just showing your GPS location to the internet though.
Try Spot https://www.findmespot.eu/en/  requires a subscription to use it.
Solvitur Ambulando

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:29:26, 08/11/18 »
I try to do trip reports with photos...and often fail.....best of both worlds!! :D :( O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy