Author Topic: Chamonix to Zermatt haute route  (Read 6867 times)

Boweyes

Chamonix to Zermatt haute route
« on: 21:30:19, 18/09/12 »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has done this walk? I did the TMB last year and fancy doing this next year.

I've ordered the cicerone book as it was a godsend when doing the TMB but was just after any hints! We're planning on camping so it would be useful to know of anywhere on route where we could pick up food as it was a killer carrying going on for 25kg of gear on the TMB!

Any other info would be appreciated. We're thinking of doing it early to mid September

Cheers

Boweyes

:)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Chamonix to Zermatt haute route
« Reply #1 on: 19:28:47, 19/09/12 »
Presumably you mean the walkers' version, not the original Haute Route.  I started that many years ago with a clubmate, shattered after a couple of very hot days, so turned back and did M.Blanc instead.  But to the point, he recently did the walking version and still found it very satisfying.  Did not camp.  I think there is a chain of hotels servicing the route - check out one of the walking company programmes for the schedule. 

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:33:03, 19/09/12 »
Oh, just checked back.  You could meet mixed weather in early September as summer changes to autumn.  Many refuges close middle of the month.  Could be very lonely on the trail and new snow. I always like late June/early July because of the flowers. Although you can still find snow banks then. Both times, advisable to carry a lightweight axe.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:43:01, 19/09/12 »
I followed the walker's Haute Route to Zermatt last year, started from Le Châble (I had covered the first few stages when I did the TMB). You will pass through villages along the way, so no need to carry loads of supplies. 25 kgs is a collosal amount of weight to carry!

If you're doing this in late summer the passes won't be snow or ice covered so you won't need an ice-axe.

In many of (but not all) the valleys you will find campsites, not sure if it's permitted near to the Refuges though, you could (discreetly) wild camp, if you are that way inclined.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:20:33, 20/09/12 »
MMm. Wouldn't be so certain about an axe (speaking with the benefit of decades of alpine experience rather than once round the TMB).  'Late' summer, up to end of august probably OK.  But all seasons are different, all areas different. Some very experienced friends of mine had very unexpected problems in late June, with extended snowbanks having decided not to bother carrying axes.  Can be early snow high up end of August.  Soft not hard, passes not snow and ice covered but still awkward. Actually, I remember seeing someones post online of their walkers haute route trip - I think they abandoned it (try googling the name). An axe is also very useful for crossing the occasional gully of wet loose shale where a trail has been swept away.  I'm not a trekker, but if I were going out for a fortnight trek in the swiss alps crossing above 1500m I would carry an axe such as the Raven Ultra on the pack.  Too light to be noticeable (far less so than those huge loads for camping).  Also poles of course, especially with the heavy packs.  Best to be safe not sorry.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:12:45, 20/09/12 »
MMm. Wouldn't be so certain about an axe (speaking with the benefit of decades of alpine experience rather than once round the TMB). 

Been to the Alps every summer for the past 6 years, done many treks, never once needed an axe. Don't see how much good an axe would be in soft snow anyway. Even when there has been unseasonable snow, trekking poles have been sufficient.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:33:13, 21/09/12 »
Owned.
solvitur ambulando

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:13:10, 21/09/12 »
Early and late season, you never can depend on continuous fine weather.  And of course, the area is critical.  Mercantour for instance the snow gets burned off very early.  And I repeat, those alpine mountaineering friends were caught out in June without axes.  Had to alter their route.  Can't see the point in arguing about it.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:06:45, 23/09/12 »
Might be instructive to google the route.  One description of a July on the route, Pardoe.net, someone called steve is particularly interesting.  No need for an axe?

Boweyes

« Reply #9 on: 20:30:58, 25/09/12 »
Cheers for the info guys, the book has arrived so im on with reading it!!

Shrops

« Reply #10 on: 08:25:09, 30/09/13 »
I am thinking of walking this nest year poss in August and do it self guided and was wondering what it is like to navigate. I walk North Wales and Lakes with out any problems so I would imagine it can not be that much different? Any tips?

I have bought the Trailblazer guide (2008) to get an idea of the walk and will have maps and guides from the tour company I will be arranging accommodation with.
Hadrian's Wall 2009,10,13
Coast to Coast 2009,2014
Offa's Dyke
Sandstone Trail
Cotswold Way
Severn Way
South Downs Way
Coleridge Way

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:59:15, 30/09/13 »
The difference between walking on popular routes in the high alps, and in this country, is that there is normally only one safe route across a very big mountainside.   On somewhere like the walker's haute route there will be a beaten path and probably national and local signs, perhaps down to splashes of paint on rocky sections.  I suppose I am almost saying there is no 'navigation' in the sense you understand it. You just can't take off in a straight line on a compass bearing. Switzerland is usually very good for signs, even giving average times to the next named point. That doesn't exist in this country. The walkers' haute route crosses a series of ridges coming down off the big peaks with most of the overnight stops in the valleys.  But I presume you are talking about the walk version, not the original high level route which is a climbing expedition?

Shrops

« Reply #12 on: 13:13:35, 30/09/13 »
Yes the walking version. There is an option to walk with group with a leader but this is not how i like to walk I prefer being on my own or 1/2 others not a group.

But if navigation is going to be a problem I will go with group 
Coast to Coast 2009,2014
Offa's Dyke
Sandstone Trail
Cotswold Way
Severn Way
South Downs Way
Coleridge Way

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:28:58, 30/09/13 »
I haven't done the Haute Route, but I have walked quite a bit in Switzerland and around Zermatt.

I'd agree with altirando - it's a major walking route in the area, and Alpine routes are usually quite straightforward to follow being mostly clear paths, obvious on the ground and well-signed to boot.

Obviously, this is not as easy if there is snow on the ground! But even then, there is often evidence of where the path should go. Especially if you have the appropriate mapping as well, it should be reasonably easy to keep on the right track. Paths are much fewer than in England, so junctions are good markers as to progress, as are stream crossings and other geographical features.

I wouldn't have any qualms about going it alone (or with one or two others) as long as there was not lots of lying snow or substantial falls forecast.  O0    

Shrops

« Reply #14 on: 13:34:40, 30/09/13 »
Thanks for that I think I will go it alone as usual. But read up alot more about the route before I go so I can be ready for it. I will be going in July/August so hope for good weather.

Many thanks for feed back
Coast to Coast 2009,2014
Offa's Dyke
Sandstone Trail
Cotswold Way
Severn Way
South Downs Way
Coleridge Way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy