Author Topic: A week in Mallorca  (Read 9176 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
A week in Mallorca
« on: 22:40:10, 04/10/09 »
Have just returned from a week in Mallorca, my third visit but the first time doing any decent walks – Many thanks to Muz for the route suggestions, but his weather prediction was not so good. But I suppose a little rain on one day was ok. We were staying in Deia up in the Tramuntana range of mountains, a world away from Magaluf – very peaceful and fantastic walking country. Here are a few pics of the walks:-

Deia to Port Soller – a coastal walk.

This is walk along a crumbling eroded path in places – but that made it more fun. High above the sea at times – typical Med coastline.

Port Soller below

Back in Deia – the view from our digs

Es Teix – typical Manchester weather

I ignored the rain clouds high above and walked up to Es Teix, a 3000ft mountain above Deia. The walk linked up with the walk ways that are a legacy of the Archduke Lluis Salvador. They run high along a limestone escarpment with superb views apparently. There were also snow holes here and there – they used to pack snow in and use the ice later in the year. Lots of old mule routes – steep but interesting. I got royally soaked on my way up, but dried out by the end of the day.

The Archduke’s path runs along the top of the limestone scarp close to the edge

With good views along the coast

Sa Ratteta and L’Ofre from Cuber

More 3000footers, but cheated a bit by starting relatively high up at the reservoir at Cuber. A good ridge walk along bare limestone pavement. Some interesting little rock walks, but annoyingly L’Ofre had a cloud hat on, so I didn’t get the best views. I returned to the start via the GR221 – a long distance path from the SW to NW of Mallorca. Great big skies though so some good pictures today.

Soller to Deia via the Cami de Castello

An easy walk up the GR221 to Deia. Got the bus to Soller and wandered along the old mule paths. First stop was at Son Bleda for a beer – what a view up to the mountains. I didn’t realise that there was a freshly squeezed orange juice place just around the corner – so we stopped there as well. Then it was a gentle ramble back to Deia – too many people around this path though.

Back to L’Ofre

As a quiet day we decided to walk back up to L’Ofre to see if we could get the views down over Soller – alas the geography of the place got the better of us and the clouds were forming as we watched. Irony of all, as we walked back down the valley and looked back – it was as clear as a bell….Victor Meldrew etc

A great week and a superb place to walk – any questions ask MUZ!

Sara

Re: A week in Mallorca
« Reply #1 on: 09:39:59, 05/10/09 »
Looks like a fantastic place to walk. Excellent photo's.
Sara

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:44:48, 06/10/09 »
Ta Sara - it is a very relaxing place to walk, as long as the locals aren't out shooting things. But lots of places to go to as well - easy walks to a little more taxing. I expect Muz will post some spectacular mountain scenery in a couple of weeks, as the weather was looking good for his visit, which started as mine finished.

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:10, 06/10/09 »
Great photo's Pete! O0 Looks like an interesting place to visit so maybe I'll be tempted to go next year. I bet Muz is soaking up the glorious weather over there, lucky so-and-so! ;)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:54:45, 06/10/09 »
Great photo's Pete! O0 Looks like an interesting place to visit so maybe I'll be tempted to go next year. I bet Muz is soaking up the glorious weather over there, lucky so-and-so! ;)

Cheers Mike - I think the spring or September - October is perfect walking weather. Warm enough and plenty of water springing out of the ground - assuming you have a filter/steripen etc.

Muz

« Reply #5 on: 19:52:27, 19/10/09 »
Hi Pete!
Sorry your weather wasn't so good in the end - although it seems to have been warm enough. You must have been cursing me something rotten when you saw the weather clearing up for my arrival - and for your departure  >:(

If anything, my weather was a bit too hot for the first week - 28/29c with a lot of heat haze spoiling the views. 2nd week was fresher and a bit better for walking - although I had one day of heavy rain and another couple of windy days. Got a good few walks in though. I'll post a few pics up when I've downloaded them.

cheers

Murray
Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 20:20:27, 19/10/09 »
I am sure it must have been horrible for you 28/29c and a heat haze spoiling your view. We had 8/9 degrees and lots of rain clouds spoiling the view.

We are not feeling sorry for you  ;D

Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:31:38, 19/10/09 »

It wasn't so bad - almost perfect walking weather. I only got really rained on near the summit of Es Teix, but that didn't spoil it and nor did the San Miguels afterwards.

Looking forward to seeing two weeks in Mallorca pictures.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:47:49, 19/10/09 »
I like Majorca...or Mallorca...especially Magaluf and Palma. I've done the Island tour etc but never realised there was this kind of scenery around. Great photos Pete. Looks cracking. You could do a week walking and a week partying/boozing! Sounds about perfect! lol  ;D

Pity about some of your weather though. I went to Benalmadena, costa del sol a few weeks ago and everyday was 25 degrees and above. Weather was fantastic and I did a 9 mile walk along the coast (I've posted about it on here along with photos)  :)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Muz

« Reply #9 on: 22:01:52, 19/10/09 »
a few pics to add to Pete's......

The Formentor Peninsula in the very north east of the island, from the summit of El Fumat

Me on a slight detour from the Cami de s'Arxiduc with the sea about 900m below :)

The sunset over the Med from the summit of L'Ofre

Night hillwalking! Sa Mola from the Cases d'en Galileu path

The impressive bulk of Puig Tomir, from the Vall d'en March, near Pollenca

vertigo girl

« Reply #10 on: 22:04:50, 19/10/09 »
Great pictures.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 22:05:39, 19/10/09 »
Muz do you find any problems with local wildlife? Any snakes for instance?

Not the nuptys in shagaluf.

Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Muz

« Reply #12 on: 22:13:45, 19/10/09 »
Muz do you find any problems with local wildlife? Any snakes for instance?

Not the nuptys in shagaluf.

Apart from the unseasonally hot weather causing a plague of mosquitos, no not at all. There are no poisonous snakes on the island and although there are scorpions, they are not the deadly variety and only give an unpleasant sting - although you'd have to be pretty unlucky to encounter one. The hornets are a wee bit nasty but again they won't sting you unless severely provoked. I got dive-bombed by some gulls on the cliff walk in the first pic as I was obviously close to a clifftop nest though!

Generally the wildlife there is pretty benign - and the bird life there is fantastic. As Pete says, the most danger is from the locals who tend to like shooting things and class feral goats as caca mayor or 'big-game'!

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:52:21, 19/10/09 »
Great photo's Muz! O0 It looks like you had a good time.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:52:24, 20/10/09 »
Impressive photos, impressive scenary!

Thanks, gentlemen, for opening my eyes to an exciting foreign walking opportunity.
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy