Author Topic: Camping mat  (Read 9695 times)

ogy

Camping mat
« on: 21:54:12, 15/04/08 »
I've personally never used a mat for my one nights out but I'm wondering if it's worth it when doing the Cleveland. After all it's not like they weigh a ton ;)

Does anyone use one, any recommendations, any reasons not to bother

Cheers all

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

muymalestado

Re: Camping mat
« Reply #1 on: 22:06:01, 15/04/08 »
Can't say about carrying one any distance, but sleeping on one is a real enhancement to a good night's rest.  Assume you mean ThermaRest.  She got one & convinced me.  I got a Gelert look-a-like for £10 and would say  the quality difference is nil, weight's are the same, compressibility is better with Gelert.  Its comfort Vs leg strength.  For multi-night you must factor in quality rest.
I think this next one will be the top ...

ogy

« Reply #2 on: 22:35:04, 15/04/08 »
Cheers for that mate,
Do you have a link for the gelert one that you have.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ogy

« Reply #3 on: 15:27:43, 16/04/08 »
Think I've found it

http://www.best-buys.co.uk/camping_detail.asp?ProductID=1351

Anyone else using similar??

Ogy

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:37:08, 16/04/08 »
I've got a 3/4 length thermarest, but it doesnt self-inflate. (I'm not sure if its supposed to do or not) Very comfy, though and well worth the little bit of extra weight.  Looks very similar to me - except that the gelert one is a bit longer.
And a different colour.
And mine doesnt inflate itself, you have to blow it up.
Apart from that..... (!)

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:38:00, 16/04/08 »
I got a inflatable airbed for Millets, the Eurohike backpacker airbed. Weight 800g, only £10. Cant fault the quality of it either and it is lighter than a thermarest.

Mr Sam

« Reply #6 on: 19:23:06, 16/04/08 »
I got a Gelert look-a-like for £10 and would say  the quality difference is nil, weight's are the same, compressibility is better with Gelert.  Its comfort Vs leg strength.  For multi-night you must factor in quality rest.

I've got a similar Gelert mat and it seemed ok the first and only time I used it.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

ogy

« Reply #7 on: 20:20:49, 16/04/08 »
Cheers all, Seems I'm missing out here

I'll check Millets tomorrow

Ogy

Snowman

« Reply #8 on: 20:50:39, 16/04/08 »
I got a inflatable airbed for Millets, the Eurohike backpacker airbed. Weight 800g, only £10. Cant fault the quality of it either and it is lighter than a thermarest.

Me too.   I had the ultra lightweight Therm-a-rest, which is so thin it doesn't do a lot, so I considered the additional weight of one of these airbeds to be well worth a good night's sleep.

S.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:09:10, 16/04/08 »
ALPKIT, do some really good self inflating matts,pretty cheap too. Check em out.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:12:51, 16/04/08 »
One thing no-one seems to have mentioned, unless I missed it, is that a sleeping mat insulates you against the coldness coming up from the ground you're laying one, so you'll sleep warmer as well as more comfortable.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:53:25, 17/04/08 »
Sorry pal.., YES it stops the cold from the ground otherwise it would be very cold in your sleeping bag. O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

muymalestado

« Reply #12 on: 09:45:18, 17/04/08 »
The quest for lightness doesn't always work - a friend has back/hip problems and ditched the normal Thermarest for a really thick and extra-wide one.  Helps greatly with a good night's rest.  Someone suggested a motel to her; and received dogs abuse.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Solofool

« Reply #13 on: 10:41:20, 17/04/08 »
Ok mats, have tried the closed foam ones (yuk)
Have had the cheap self inflating Argos one with inflatable pillow (ok about 3cm thick but cover not attached to foam so if you over inflate prepare to foll off) full length is too big and heavy.
Opted for the 3/4 length gelert quality one (and pm ogy if your interested lol) and i think was 4.5cm bit thicker but colder and less comfortable on the legs, but still not enough padding.

I have now gone for the daddy of all sleep mats :
http://www.sailgb.com/p/exped_downmat_down_filled_mats/
Warmth, 9cm of height, small pack size and also fits in my bivvy bag along with sleepingbag, also means i can carry a lighter sleeping bag. Not for all tastes, but after 16+ miles over hills and mountains i would much rather carry the extra weight and have a great nights sleep.

Mr Sam

« Reply #14 on: 16:55:36, 17/04/08 »
Loads of money though.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy