Author Topic: Camping mat  (Read 9717 times)

Solofool

Re: Camping mat
« Reply #15 on: 20:47:43, 17/04/08 »
loads of money yes, but look around enough got mine for £75 and well worth the monet for a good nights sleep, had that a rab storm bivi and a snugpack sleeping bag with tarp overhead in freezing conditions in a snow storm, and had a warm and comfortable night

kkm

« Reply #16 on: 00:17:14, 19/04/08 »
rapidly trying to remember what the name of the mats we used for sleeping on were, and failing.....

it was a foamy type one, which resembles an egg box in shape, folds up concertina ish.....

found it! http://www.ryedalerambler.com/product/2296/Thermarest_Z_Lite.

we found this really good, light weight, and very comfortable. for someone who sleeps badly i slept like a log. although that could have been because i was shattered by the end of the day..... ::) :D

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:39:32, 30/04/08 »
The brand new TORSOLITE is the smallest pack size and excellent all round so the add says, but Trail recomend it and costs only £50 and it packs down to 20cm x 14cm, oh and its self inflating, im thinking of buying it maybe if i can talk to someone that has actually got it already and see what they say about it, but it looks all good.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:10:24, 01/05/08 »
I've personally never used a mat for my one nights out but I'm wondering if it's worth it when doing the Cleveland. After all it's not like they weigh a ton ;)

Does anyone use one, any recommendations, any reasons not to bother

Cheers all

Ogy

I have one of the old karrimor mats but don't bother with it these days as its too bulky.I have found that newspaper is quite adequate if the night is going to be cold.The main purpose of a mat is to insulate you from the ground and for that purpose newspaper is an excellent choice.

ogy

« Reply #19 on: 13:54:22, 01/05/08 »
I ended up buying a 3/4 Gelert self inflating one from solofool (I get all his cast offs ;))
Have to say the improvement is fantastic. Yet to try it out camping but it weighs next to nothing and once inflated really does create a nice barrier between you and a cold floor, pretty comfy too.

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Mr Sam

« Reply #20 on: 16:27:49, 01/05/08 »
I'm a bit dubious abouts its size. I would want to be able to lie my whole body on it.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:01:07, 01/05/08 »
I ended up buying a 3/4 Gelert self inflating one from solofool (I get all his cast offs ;))
Have to say the improvement is fantastic.'''' O0 Yet to try it out camping but it weighs next to nothing '''' O0and once inflated really does create a nice barrier between you and a cold floor, pretty comfy too.

Ogy
Hi oggy..,what size is it when its packed, do you know ? and exactly what does it weigh ?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

chorleydave

« Reply #22 on: 14:14:11, 21/08/08 »
I saw these (albeit packed) in Millets, Ambleside, yesterday.  What put me off buying it there and then was having to carry round a pump in my rucksack to inflate it.  How do you inflate yours?

ogy

« Reply #23 on: 16:58:39, 21/08/08 »
Damn Darksky I will weigh it for ya some time;)

To inflate it mate you just unscrew a little cap and the foam sucks air in, then tighten the screw to seal the air in. To de-inflate it you just open the screw and as you roll it up it pushes all the air out, then tighten the screw to stop it sucking in any air...... clever eh, no pump needed O0

After many years without one I'd not be without it now ;)

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:41:52, 21/08/08 »
Damn Oggy.., nice one pal. O0

muymalestado

« Reply #25 on: 19:16:35, 21/08/08 »
Got a Gelert full length xtreme lite for £23 from http://www.campmania.co.uk/.  Rolls down to 250x150mm and 740g.  Seems very good IMHO.  Possibly not an item to carry for miles and days on end.
I think this next one will be the top ...

chorleydave

« Reply #26 on: 22:27:52, 21/08/08 »
I got a inflatable airbed for Millets, the Eurohike backpacker airbed. Weight 800g, only £10. Cant fault the quality of it either and it is lighter than a thermarest.

Sorry, everybody.  My original question referring to a pump was to ukmase and his reply quoted above.  I thought I had quoted it earlier, but I had to go out in a hurry and obviously hadn't!  :idiot2:

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:42:30, 21/08/08 »
Try checking this mat out,  its the dogs do,dah's :-Thermarest Neoair. it is the buisness. or the Torsolite mat, these 2 are the best and lightest ive ever seen, but saying that Gelert have a newish one out that only weighs 520g and these are all self inflate. if you like to travel very lite then these are the ones, BUT the 1st one i mentioned is the latest and lightest  and smallest packed in the world apparently, and costs quite abit too.

twiglegs

« Reply #28 on: 01:05:15, 22/08/08 »
I have the Vango ultralite 3 quarter mat. Weight 570 grm i pack it down to 12 by 24 cm by folding it lengthways then rolling it up.
It does self inflate but you have to blow it up a little more.
You can get this one for 14. 99 online.
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Ultralite_Self_Inflating_Mat_34_Length.html
Another thing, beware of shiny sleep mats, if you pitch on anything but the flattest land you will slip down the mat guaranteed, can be a real pain.

muymalestado

« Reply #29 on: 09:37:01, 22/08/08 »
.... Another thing, beware of shiny sleep mats, if you pitch on anything but the flattest land you will slip down the mat guaranteed, can be a real pain.
Turns out, this is very true!
I think this next one will be the top ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy