Author Topic: Meals during two day hikes  (Read 1886 times)

dan1210

Meals during two day hikes
« on: 16:06:12, 06/10/08 »
Hi

I am new to this forum, I am currently a member of the explorer scouts.  At the end of the month I am taking part in a 2 day hiking competition over the weekend.  I do this quite often, but have decided to come on here to get some hints and tips on food for the weekend

I intend to have Saturday Lunch- Packed Lunch; sandwiches etc
Saturday tea- Dehydrated hotpot and reiter pudding
Sunday b'fast- Boil in bag sausage and beans

I have used this menu in the past, and have traditionally had another dehydrated meal on the sundry (it is compulsory you eat), but I find I am never hungry and just waste time waiting for the trangia to boil.  I would take sandwiches but they may be dodgy after two days.  I am considering taking a tin of tuna and a bread roll etc, what would you recommend??

Thanks

Skinny Walker

Re: Meals during two day hikes
« Reply #1 on: 16:25:21, 06/10/08 »
For the sunday consider a small tube of primula and some pitta bread. Food of the gods (blind gods but gods all the same!)
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Chesney

« Reply #2 on: 16:36:36, 06/10/08 »
i would consider buyin uncle bens rice because u can cook that in ur pot with a bit of water, thenadd somthing like some salami or cheese, in it to improve the flavor
if u dont want to take soem mea the i advise to take some powder soup like oxtail for example nd mix it in.
it gives great flavors and  it weighs [censored] all

smash its brilliant it light agin and it is simple to make,
 things like dried fruit for snacks are brillian small handy and very good for energy
oats so simple is an other good option add some water sugar and dried fruit ur laughin then,
and use things like resealable packs packs small and reusable

hope thats helped

dan1210

« Reply #3 on: 16:45:02, 06/10/08 »
thanks, I would normally use 'proper food' but with this being a competition (although rules state it is non competitive) i want to be able to get straight out there without having to mess about washing dixies, there are bets riding on this weekend!

Steelystan

« Reply #4 on: 18:27:33, 06/10/08 »
Despite being a sort of joke food, things like pot noodles or other rehydrated pasta type things are quite a good option in the situation you describe.  Pasta/noodles generally are great foods for the night before a walk because they act as a terrific slow release energy source owing to high carbohydrate levels.  Years ago when I did mountain biking, we would always eat a big plate of pasta the night before, and you never get that "out of petrol" feeling in yer legs.  |If you can be bothered to carry it, a ready made pasta salad will be a welcome fast food at the end of the day if you don't mind a cold meal.

I often carry some dried apricots and dried banana chips too - they are faster acting than carbs so you can use them on the trail and get the benefit within about 2 hrs.

SS
178/214.

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:42:47, 06/10/08 »
Yeah, dried fruit is a good idea, and chocolate hob [censored](oats and chocolate together). For a two day hike why bother taking anything that needs cooking, I mean it's just more weight to carry.

Jordans Frusli cereal bars are light weight and contain oats and dried fruit so are as good as porridge but without the messing around with pans and stoves. Some buns and a bit of marge, and those small tins of Pek ham with maybe some chilli sauce or something and your laughing.

My mouth is watering already!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Dave Kirton

« Reply #6 on: 22:28:21, 07/10/08 »
 :D My local army surplus store does a 24 hr ration pack for £4.50 gives you all you need. You can pick them up on e bay for about the same price. Morrisons do a packet of egg fried rice 96p add a chopped up peperami its delish. Morrisons also do small packets of varrious yummy dried fruit for 38p.
    PS .... i dont work for morrisons....lol O0
Into moutain biking / paragliding  & wild camping.............

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy