Author Topic: Backpack - Mistake?  (Read 3292 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Backpack - Mistake?
« Reply #15 on: 17:02:05, 31/01/20 »
I am pretty sure that you can get extension straps for Osprey rucksacks that clip into the existing connectors. I almost (but not quite) needed some for my rucksack.

Little Foot

« Reply #16 on: 18:26:04, 31/01/20 »
I went to Blacks and had a look at the Osprey bag I had tried previously and it was a 68L Kestrel in s/m so bigger Litre pack than I thought. I spoke with a staff member but she said changing the straps in conjunction with Osprey is not a service they provide, but she showed me some webbing so in theory I could try make my own if there was no other alternative. I think I might try my luck and order one then deal with Osprey.

Just having an extension sounds good Bigfoot_Mike. Certainly a lot easier than undoing old then reattaching new webbing.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:36:20, 31/01/20 »
Have you considered an additional chest pack as well, I used one for some time until I learned how to get my gear down to a minimum.

Little Foot

« Reply #18 on: 18:39:37, 31/01/20 »
No, I don't know about chest packs. Is it just a normal pack situated on the chest then?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:57:53, 31/01/20 »
I'm only confused as I thought on some of the models, the actual hip belt could be changed for a more suitable size.

I'm pretty sure that it's only the top of the range models which have the replaceable full hip belts. All the other models have webbing straps which are attached to the wings of the hipbelt and hip belt extensions can be obtained via Osprey if necessary. They are basically a pair of longer replacement straps with the central buckle on (they just thread on in place off the existing straps) - you just need to let them know which model and how long you need the webbing strap to be via their online form.   

NB The Kestrel 68 is the men's model the Kyte 66 is the equivalent women's model.
https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/200929-osprey-kestrel-68l-rucksack-grey.html
https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/119311-osprey-women-s-kyte-66l-rucksack-grey.html

My advice would be to take your time makng the decision on which model you want and shop around online for the best available price.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:05:17, 31/01/20 »
The chest pack I had was sold by OEM and was 4L in capacity. It just fitted to my shoulder straps and worked well. I thought the main drawback was that it wasn't a waterproofed pack. I tended to use it as my 'kitchen,' I think others would have used it for their cameras etc.

Little Foot

« Reply #21 on: 19:24:58, 31/01/20 »
Kinkyboots - The Kestrel 66l is a little bit too big, but felt both easy to get on and comfortable to wear. I have taken a chance as I have managed to get the last Osprey Kestrel 58L for £60 from Blacks!

It must have been the last as it has now vanished from the site. Great deal, as it had money off, then I managed to get another 20% off with their promo. Hope they don't realise lol. If it is unsuitable it should be easy to return. It seems you can get the extra 20% off some branded items (on items that have not already been discounted by the 20%), despite it saying it excludes other offers.

Gunwharfman - a chest pack seems a good idea, although might be slightly easier for flat chested guys to wear.  ;D
« Last Edit: 19:34:18, 31/01/20 by Little Foot »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:50:41, 31/01/20 »
That's a bargain price at around half the price of the Kestrel 66 and as long as it has the features you need, fits you properly and is comfortable that's all that matters.

The key now is to try to reduce the weight you carry in it by resisting the temptation to fill it with loads of stuff you won't/don't use but still have to carry.

Little Foot

« Reply #23 on: 19:59:24, 31/01/20 »
That's a bargain price at around half the price of the Kestrel 66 and as long as it has the features you need, fits you properly and is comfortable that's all that matters.

The key now is to try to reduce the weight you carry in it by resisting the temptation to fill it with loads of stuff you won't/don't use but still have to carry.

Certainly is a bargain. It's back on the site now, but without the original price showing. Funny that it said 'one left' when in the process of buying. Here it is. When you go to the checkout it reduces to less than the £60.

I have a 30L Berghaus that I have used for a few days without camping so think this one will be the right size when you consider the extra kit I will have.

Butchersboy

« Reply #24 on: 09:42:14, 01/02/20 »
I can vouch for the Exos 48.
Very light, comfortable and I suspect it holds way more than 48L.

I got Go Outdoors to price match promise somewhere online so got it even cheaper 8)

I couldn't imaging wearing anything bigger on a long-distance walk.

The bigger the bag the more stuff you don't need you will pack!
I've since switched to a 33L bag.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:31:17, 01/02/20 »
If I wanted or needed to spend out the money on a new rucksack I could easily hike and camp with a smaller one. I think the maximum capacity that I would need is between 42-45L. I'm not going to, of course, for now, my Exos 48L is fine.

When we look at new rucksacks they mostly seem to be from the same group of manufacturers, even the people who test seem to go for this group. There are lots of others, of course, for example, I've been looking at the 50L Naturehike ones, on the screen they look fine, I personally like the look of their black one. I won't buy it because I have no idea if it's any good or not? If I did have to buy a new one I would like to go for the make Nigor, their rucksacks are made from Dymeena which I personally like and rate highly but I won't buy it, their prices are just too high!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:42:42, 01/02/20 »
I can vouch for the Exos 48.
Very light, comfortable and I suspect it holds way more than 48L.
I got Go Outdoors to price match promise somewhere online so got it even cheaper 8)
I couldn't imaging wearing anything bigger on a long-distance walk.
The bigger the bag the more stuff you don't need you will pack!
I've since switched to a 33L bag.

I really don't know how you can say that. My 75L pack (that includes lid and side pockets) only weighs 8.17kg (18 lb) with spring and autumn gear, or a grand total of 10.4kg (23 lb) with a litre of water and four days food, yet my sleeping bag, ground mat, tent, base layers and spare undies, fleece jumper, down jacket and then the above mentioned food, fill it pretty much right up, while waterproofs go on the top and small bits and pieces in the pockets. So how you can say you go on a long distance walk with only a 33L bag or even a 48L one is beyond me, unless you're staying in B&Bs and not carrying camping equipment.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:06:38, 01/02/20 »
I use a 48L and always have space to spare. OK, I don't take cooking equipment (I eat out) with me but if I did those items would go in easily. I have used my 48L rucksack on 2, 3, and 4-week hiking trips and have always had more than enough space. I also don't carry a camera, just my smartphone.

One reason for this, of course, is that I have actively tried to make my load lighter and smaller in overall size and so now only take what I need, rather than what I THINK I need. I also have some really good items that roll up very small, like my Thermarest Neoair mattress (to the size of a Coca Cola can) for example and I also try to develop the idea of dual-use for clothing, for example when I sleep I wear a clean and dry base layer and will hike in it the next day, and will use my single skin waterproof coat as a wind jacket as well. Hiking like this with the equipment and clothing that I now use has helped me to make very useful progress for myself. I have also deliberately bought lightweight items, a down sleeping quilt rather than use a (heavier?) down sleeping bag and I use a very lightweight rain skirt rather than use (heavier?) waterproof trousers. I've learned that as I get older, every little step forward helps me a lot!

My way of needing less rucksack space is that I also carry items on the outside of my rucksack, my tent, for example, that just sits on the top of my rucksack horizontally, held by two short lengths of elastic.

Little Foot

« Reply #28 on: 12:21:38, 01/02/20 »
I think a 58L will be ok for me, as I'll have to carry a large amount of my son's gear, as well as a couple of things so he is not bored in the evening, like mini football, travel games. I've looked at an online review of the Osprey Kestrel and it can be sinched up if it's not full, so it won't be wobbling about all over the place.

I think I'm going to test things and do a long walk then have an overnight stay on the Yorkshire Wolds Way, see how things go, then progress bit by bit.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:30:11, 01/02/20 »
A person’s size will dramatically affect the volume and weight required to be carried (and probably the weight that can be carried). If you are 5 feet tall and weigh 7 stones, your spare kit won’t take up much space or weigh much. If you are over 6 feet and weigh considerably more (I  might fit into 1 or more of those categories), then your spare kit will be bigger and heavier and a 2 person tent might appear to be a 1 person tent to you. I have never worried too much about weight of walking kit or my photography gear. I can always reduce the weight being carried by going on a diet. In the end, the best rucksack, waterproof or camera is the one you have to hand when you need it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy