Author Topic: What path?  (Read 992 times)

mouseluxi

What path?
« on: 09:25:49, 01/03/18 »
Folks, if you see on an OS map that there is a national trail path, but then looking on both Google and Bing maps (satellite view) neither show any sign of a footpath, in fact both show a ploughed field; would you risk going there to walk that section? As well as the ploughed fields there are some green fields around a farm that at full zoom show no sign of a path.  

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: What path?
« Reply #1 on: 09:29:44, 01/03/18 »
I would go for it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:39:58, 01/03/18 »
Yes.  Chances are the map is wrong in detail about the line but there should be a route if it is a national trail.  The green dashed line is based on the definitive map which is often inaccurate about the line of the path.  If it was a PROW, especially one drawn ruler straight, I would be more skeptical about it existing in reality. Also follow the trail to a road intersection and try Streetview in GoogleEarth for signs of a stile or gate indicating its existence. Finally, check on the map for a black dashed line nearby indicating the existence of the actual path.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:34:38, 01/03/18 »
Maybe Mr, Mrs or Ms Farmer has ploughed it up and wants, or hopes you will go around the edge of the field?

What about Bing Maps, OS section, is it all correct on this screen?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:51:36, 01/03/18 »
....(satellite view) neither show any sign of a footpath, in fact both show a ploughed field; would you risk going there to walk that section? ....

Yes.  The satellite views are snapshots of the state of the field/s at the time of the photograph.  It's just unfortunate that at the time they took the pic, the fields were ploughed.  Common round here.  Causes me an inward groan if the fields are ploughed at this time of year and I often walk around the edge instead rather than end up with half a field of clay stuck to my boots  ;D

As for the green fields, chances are, when you get there you will see a faint trod on the ground heading in the general direction of the path marked on the map.  The satellite images aren't always that clear when you zoom right in so may not show faint detail of a green trod on a green field.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:17:00, 01/03/18 »
Another GoogleEarth imagery trick I forgot mention is to check where the path is supposed to cross field boundaries.  There is often a wear mark by gates or stiles. By the way Mel - they aren't satellite images; they are aerial photographs.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:26:02, 01/03/18 »
Another GoogleEarth imagery trick I forgot mention is to check where the path is supposed to cross field boundaries.  There is often a wear mark by gates or stiles. By the way Mel - they aren't satellite images; they are aerial photographs.

I think I tried to draw members attention to this 5 or more years ago.

The reason for this is compaction by the tractor wheels, when the seed bed is being prepared for a crop, thus the pattern of the preparation the crop can be seen on an areal photo taken in the early summer period when the skies seem to be clear enough to get the full area for patching together an areal map.

When the cultivations are finished the machinery heads back to the gate for the return to the main farm holding or assembly point.

As a by product of this observation it should be possible to work out which holdings or previous farm type buildings are no longer part of the agricultural system.

May give you a clue when you can safely take a liberty with the righteous way network and improve a route.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:13:39, 02/03/18 »
... By the way Mel - they aren't satellite images; they are aerial photographs.

Aye, I do actually know that but google used to call it satellite view once upon a time and it's just stuck with me.  ... A bit like me still saying I'm taping [insert telly programme of choice] when I haven't had a VHS or Betamax for years  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy