Author Topic: Lake District Tourism Traffic  (Read 5800 times)

nightmair

Lake District Tourism Traffic
« on: 13:33:42, 31/03/07 »
Hi Guys

I'm doing a dissertation on Tourism Traffic within the Lakes and was wondering if some of you could spare 5 mins to fill in a quick survey!

Link Is below

Thanks

Chris

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=780633598292 [nofollow]">Click here to take survey</a>

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Lake District Tourism Traffic
« Reply #1 on: 21:52:39, 31/03/07 »
O.K i have done the survey, What can i win ;D ;D ;D (only kidding)

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will stay awhile.

By the way what is your opinion on the subject? ;)

walkingforlife.piczo.com
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

nightmair

« Reply #2 on: 22:37:35, 31/03/07 »
My opinion? Mmm, hard to say really. I used to live and study there (now in Edinburgh) and the traffic drove (excuse the pun) me mad.
However Ive read the LDNPA 'solutions' and they all seem to be halfway houses, nothing committed enough because as usual those with the power are too frightened to upset anyone.
I think something needs to be done, and this is the only 100% committed solution that I can think of!

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:01:18, 01/04/07 »
I do agree but without getting to political, if they stop certain areas access by traffic or bring in higher charges for people to use these areas by their car. Then how would this effect people with a restricted abilty? Would it mean that they no longer can enjoy certain areas because of a disabilty?
Also the likes of Langdale, that does get extremely busy in the fine months, with traffic and motorhomes, would their be a extra charge to use the only road in/out of the area and if so how would this effect the local buisnesses in Langdale?

O.k i will step off my little box now but it is food for thought, so to speak :D

nightmair

« Reply #4 on: 12:56:34, 01/04/07 »

The way Ive been thinking for the past 2 or 3 yrs and the study Ive done in bits and pieces in the combination of a park and ride and congestion charge. Without restricting access as a rule but offering attractive carrots whilst holding big sticks.
Cars are convenient, which is why we use them but if that convenience were to be countered by financial penalties and then the option of a truly integrated transport system presented itself there could be no legitimate complaint.
People with restricted ability would be subject to the same laws as with the London congestion charge, whereby they have full uncharged access.

Essentially, force visitors to use sustainable transport however to allow visitors access to places such as Great Landale charge a daily congestion charge. That way motorhomes and caravans, sail boats etc can be driven in, then the towing vehicles can be driven out and parked in large parks until the end of their holiday.

I admit is a bit draconian but the Lakes could really benefit, it would create jobs which con operated tolls would not, it would benefit the environment, visitor and resident experience and it would establish the LDNP as a world eco-centre, a major USP!

Not one regualr visitor or resdient as agreed with me yet mind you, but thats because it removes the ones thing we are all used to. Convenience. We like new energy saving, world fixing, ecologically sound ideas......so long as they don't put us out in anyway!

If you want I'll e-mail you a copy of the final thing.

Cheers

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:14:34, 01/04/07 »
If you could email a copy of your final findings that would be great, it does seem a double edged sword,
eco-friendly Vs big car parks, con charge Vs road tax (for resisdents, who use mainly 4x4s).

I can see this being a main subject for debate tonight. ;D

Cheers

nightmair

« Reply #6 on: 13:57:53, 01/04/07 »
Residents would be exempt but second home owners would not! (a major contributor to the economic wasteland in the langdales)

Deerplay

« Reply #7 on: 14:05:40, 04/04/07 »
I did the survey but didn't find out how to comment on the "other" option. In my case it was stay with relatives who live there/nearby
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:15:56, 15/09/07 »
Hi Guys

I'm doing a dissertation on Tourism Traffic within the Lakes and was wondering if some of you could spare 5 mins to fill in a quick survey!

Link Is below

Thanks

Chris

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=780633598292">Click here to take survey</a>
O0 i'd be glad to Chris but it says its closed and to contact you,so here i am,now what?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy