Author Topic: How Not to Wild Camp  (Read 11130 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: How Not to Wild Camp
« Reply #15 on: 10:51:13, 26/08/17 »
Sadly we have imported other nations dross into this country courtesy of Blair opening the borders to all and sundry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_for_workers_in_the_European_Union

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Treaty

The free movement of workers within the EU started under the Treaty of Rome and was clarified to include residence under the Treaty of Maastricht so that would be your man Heath and Baroness Thatcher that you should rant at.

« Last Edit: 11:34:19, 26/08/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:21:09, 26/08/17 »
Dare i say it, but the people who caused this mess, are not true walkers.

Don't faint but, I agree.

Quote taken from the original article LakelandLorry provided:

"  They say the practice of abandoning camping gear at music festivals is spreading to wild camping.     "  

With that in mind, it sounds more like "party animals" recreating their own private festival for a night or two to get their money's worth out of their camping gear and then simply abandon it because they've all got monstrous hangovers the next day and can't face packing up and clearing up....it's just easier to leave it there "for someone else".

I'd be inclined to think that people living off the land (regardless of race, religion or political belief) ...whilst they may leave litter, etc. they would take their tents and such like, simply because it is their "home" and they'd need it for the next spot they decide to stop at.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:33:34, 26/08/17 »
I'd be inclined to think that people living off the land (regardless of race, religion or political belief) ...whilst they may leave litter, etc. they would take their tents and such like, simply because it is their "home" and they'd need it for the next spot they decide to stop at.

Not always the case, Mel. From time to time I have come across long-abandoned tents, always of the really cheap sort, hidden away in bits of woodland, where it is quite evident that someone has been living there for a period of time.

Alan Kilroy

« Reply #18 on: 13:24:53, 26/08/17 »
Mentioned on BBC News just now..........wild camping / Lake District..............................including the above picture.  ???

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:36:00, 26/08/17 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_for_workers_in_the_European_Union

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Treaty

The free movement of workers within the EU started under the Treaty of Rome and was clarified to include residence under the Treaty of Maastricht so that would be your man Heath and Baroness Thatcher that you should rant at.

I am fully aware of that.A lot of East Europeans were working in the UK in the nineties.In 1947 several thousand former members of the 14th Waffen SS Division (Ukranian) were allowed to settle in the UK,working mainly in the farming and mining industries.This was on an as-needed basis,rather than a free for all that results in the wages and living standards of the indigenous working class population being driven down.

BTW,just because my views might be a bit distastful to those of a sensitive dispostion it dosen't mean I am a Tory voter or supporter.I was a life long Labour voter until Blair decided to open the flood gates in 2004 (he did have a choice in the matter and could have deferred free movement for several years)I would say my views have more in common with Old Labour voters who feel they have been deserted rather than right wing bigots in the Tory party.

Taz

« Reply #20 on: 17:11:22, 27/08/17 »
I think you need to keep politics out of it.
In my experience, it is people doing it, no matter what race, nationality, background, gender, age, a percentage of all those people think its okay to drop litter or to leave stuff behind.
People throw poo bags in hedges, dump their car rubbish in lay-by's, drop fag ends and chewing gum in the street, leave empty bottles on mountain paths etc, they are not all East European, and no I am not 'of a sentimental disposition'. The UK might have been tidier years ago before we created a throw-away society.

willow229

« Reply #21 on: 13:19:25, 29/08/17 »
This mess has not been caused by wild campers.My money would be on East European alcoholics/drug addicts who are too tight to pay for proper accommadation or local yobs out for a **** up.Where I live we have had a quite a few problems with several East European undesirables causing a similar mess on wildlife parks.Before anyone calls me a racist I will point out that I am part East European myself but find the attitude of those who arrived after 2004 to be a disgrace.

I'm not racist but..... ::)
You only need to drive around the country to see how so many people treat this country like a tip with no respect for their environment. I live near a McDonalds and it's a common occurrence that people park up on my road, eat their burger and chips and then just hurl then rubbish out the window. I've had a go at several people doing this over the years and they've always spoken with local accents.
Whether the picture is staged or not, you can but camping eqiupment dirt cheap form Aldi etc. Maybe they all chipped £20 quid each to buy the tent and chairs and just left them. If you've ever been to Glastonbury you'll know how many people go home and leave their cheap tents behind without a second thought.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:13:10, 29/08/17 »
I'll confess to enjoying an occasional quarter pounder but McDonalds litter is a nationwide problem, I get their litter chucked out of car windows but the nearest branch is more than 35 miles away.
Worst I've had was a bag thrown from the passenger window of a passing car which landed on my driveway. Disposable nappies -just like Greggs sandwiches - freshly filled.  >:(  And people come to Wales to enjoy the beautiful countryside.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:13:29, 08/09/17 »
I agree they're not "true walkers" or backpackers. There are scumbags who turn up and do this stuff but they're usually not proper outdoorspeople.

I've seen them on the Ridgeway - campfire and a tarp. Nothing wrong with that. But the next day the tarp is left, pile of beer cans, litter and so on. Disgusting. But they've driven close by and walked about 10 mins. Likewise you get groups of youths who pretend to their parents that they're going camping but actually just turn up and get wasted on booze and drugs and don't give a **** about how they leave things.

When I lived in London, near a largish, quite nice park. In the summer you'd get a group of maybe 10-20 people go for a picnic - bags and boxes of food, chairs etc, get drunk and lairy and let their dogs bother other people. And at the end of it, literally just walk away - paper plates, half eaten sarnies, cups, bottles, bags and even chairs. It would blow about the park for a month after. Amazing.

99% of people who are there to enjoy the scenery, carry their kit in and out - "true" backpackers if you will - they're not doing this stuff. I've seen walkers chase a windblown sweet wrapper for hundreds of yards just to avoid littering.

Jays

« Reply #24 on: 17:50:55, 05/01/18 »
Great reply’s on this thread.
So what do we do about it?
Well We have stated to pick it up!
Even gone as far as picking up dog poo, with a bag!
Anyone can voluntarily pick up litter, one or two pieces a day would be a start! O0

tenmilesplus

« Reply #25 on: 18:36:00, 05/01/18 »
We don't go to the Lake District or Peak District very often but the litter and 'disposable bar-b-qs' left by thoughtless selfish numbheads is something we have come across more often in the Lake District.. We always pick up what we see in the way of sweet wrappers but the amount of discarded tissues is what we find most disgusting.. Why would anyone want to go around picking up snotty wragg ? I don't understand why people don't take their snotty wragg home... ??

Fact.. With people comes litter, then more litter, then destructive behaviour.. Just consider the 'Zip Wire' as vandalism..

What can be done ?? Nothing.. Dumbass does what dumbass does.. How about pricing these idiots out of the Countryside by making staying in these beauty spots extortionate ? Hang on, that is already happening.. If something is cheap there are a portion of the population that will take it for granted, if something is made expensive there will be a portion that will expect to be pampered or have the Fells covered in Sherpa Tensing types and a helicopter to bring the tea.. ( just look at the figures for Mountain rescue call outs ).. People = litter end of... The 'Problem' is attitude.. Starts with the parents, ends with the parents... Me and some mates lived near some woods when we were growing up, we used to go and 'enjoy' them but we never left piles of crap around because we didn't have any money to buy the crap with.. Maybe the 'availability' is the problem ? After all pollution isn't just an issue in Cumbria, pollution is a Global issue and cheap plastics seem to be the most common culprit.. Sooner or later Plastic will become very expensive and there will be fewer abandoned tents and folding seats in our Countryside..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

scottk

« Reply #26 on: 15:15:21, 22/02/18 »
This kind of behaviour is what led to the camping ban round Loch Lomond. Would be a shame if the same thing happens in the lakes. No easy answer without a lot more ragulations and people to enforce it but I feel that isn't a solution.

Troggy

« Reply #27 on: 08:53:49, 27/03/18 »
I looked at that picture and thought how much it represented a growing number of "wild campers" and "bushcrafters." The majority, whether we are day walker/rambler/ambler''' or plain old potterer, in fact, anyone who loves nature and looking after mother earth, would do their best to leave no trace that they have been along this way

It is a problem and it is getting worse. I like looking on you tube and a number of sites are really interesting. But there are a considerable number who leave nothing as it was. One walker in a nice bit of woodland, took a morning to get rid of similar rubbish in her local woodland, including a doggie bag left hanging in a tree! She filled a bin bag with the rubbish left.

I'm not say ing that the photo hasn't been arranged but I will say that I think the only "arrangement" is to put the rubbish that the scumbags left, close enough together to have the lot in the pic. I'd bet the wood fire, the, cans and all the other detritus has been left by those who have the means to reach these sacred places; but no love for them, in fact it's the opposite, some are like Orcs and will have no feeling of shame for what they have done.

I know I'm on an orange box here but I went to pay homage a couple of years back, to Castlerigg stone circle and was sorry I went. There were tents camped in the middle of the circle with their litter arrayerd around them in a gross desecration of a place of magic.

This circle is in the middle of farm land, so god knows what the local people think about the those who gather, usually at the time of the summer solstice and to me, they are desecrating the very soul of the place of which presumably they are gathering to see the sun rise.

That's just one example of which more and more are occuring. Unbelievable really, and I guess there will be growing backlash from those who would look at all, walkers, campers (whether wild or tame!) visitors of the wild places and beauty spots like Friars Crag, in the category as the Orcs.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:45:13, 27/03/18 »
Orcs?

Troggy

« Reply #29 on: 10:18:55, 27/03/18 »
Yes mate; Orcs. In the way that whoever despoil our land and our rivers, either uncaringly or purposefully, are just like the orcs in lotr. I can't help but think of them as Orcs a very suitable title for them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy