Author Topic: Route suggestions around Aviemore?  (Read 2765 times)

Steve922

Route suggestions around Aviemore?
« on: 21:25:14, 13/02/18 »
I'll be staying in Aviemore next week. Any suggestions for easy (3-6 miles) walks from the town?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Route suggestions around Aviemore?
« Reply #1 on: 21:33:45, 13/02/18 »
The Speyside Way passes through Aviemore and is quite a low level route on good paths. It's a nice easy 6 mile walk to Boat of Garten mainly following the steam railway which you could get back though I'm not sure about winter timetables.

http://www.speysideway.org/boat-of-garten-to-aviemore/
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 22:05:11, 13/02/18 »
You can walk up the logging track for about 7 miles from Aviemore up to Loch Morlich, it more or less follows the ski road or alternatively walk up the Lairig Ghru track from Coylumbridge up to the Cairngorm club bridge and use the forest tracks to walk up to Loch Morlich again about 7 miles. You can get the ski bus back from Loch Morlich to Aviemore.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:09:41, 13/02/18 »
Walk round Loch an Eilean?

Addingham

« Reply #4 on: 07:13:01, 14/02/18 »
I'll be staying in Aviemore next week. Any suggestions for easy (3-6 miles) walks from the town?

Just go into the Aviemore information centre and take your choice. Too many routes to recommend. Plenty that are even waymarked. ;)

Steve922

« Reply #5 on: 19:30:14, 14/02/18 »
Great stuff guys - thanks for all the info. We travel the day in three days time and my mind is a little easier now :-)

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:37:48, 14/02/18 »
Hi Steve   -   we go to Aviemore a lot. I am assuming you haven't been B4 so here are some suggestions. Hope you don't mind me putting these up. Places to eat: Cairngorm Hotel - can't book a table but food is good and lots of it.
The Italian restaurant at the round-a-bout on the way in - booking recommended as its always busy. The Mountain Cafe - can't book but they use a paging system to let you know when its your turn for a table Great lunches!
Places to visit/things to do: go on the steam train (Strathspey Railway). Tour the Cairngorm brewery - load of free beer!
Take the kids to Landmark Adventure Park about 8 miles away (you'll love the canoe flooms!).
Walk to Boat of Garten on the Spetside Way and take the train back to Aviemore.
Enjoy sledging at the Hay field just past Glenmore on the right of the road.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:21:33, 14/02/18 »
Walk round Loch an Eilean?
Beat me to it! A magical place.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Steve922

« Reply #8 on: 11:34:36, 15/02/18 »
The Landmark Adventure Park looks interesting for a 'day off'  Is everything included in the Admission price or are activities inside extra?

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:56:02, 15/02/18 »
Everything is included.........the butterfly area is very good! Have fun in the inclined house!  O0

scottk

« Reply #10 on: 14:35:24, 19/02/18 »
Don't let your kids tell you that they need an adult to come down the slide at Landmark. I had been up about a dozen times when the guy tells me the kids can go alone!
The Old Bridge Inn is a good place to eat and I have had decent food at Glenmore lodge too.
Ptarmigan cafe at the top of the ski centre is good-great hot chocolate and our kids enjoyed the ride in the funicular.

Steve922

« Reply #11 on: 00:37:20, 26/02/18 »
We went to the Landmark Centre but it was in 'Winter Mode' which means not much was open. So we called in at the Aviemore Karting instead.
   I think ya'll must be rich or something. Everyone seems to have as the main focus of their holidays. eating out at Restaurants. The Ptarmigan was especially noticeable for their 500ml £2 bottles of Coke and water!  :-)
    Noticible 'accident looking for somewhere to happen'  was two lovely Philipino guys who had come up the funicular asked me which was the easiest Route to ski down the mountain. Understandable since the wind was 30mph gusting to 50mph, low visibility and piste of hard ice. All lessons had been abandoned because of the conditions.  The conversation went something like this :

Them : Excuse me, can you tell us which is the easiest route to ski down?
Me :  Sure, the Green route over there would be the best. Is this your first time here?
Them : Yes, we just hired the gear this morning.
Me : You done much skiing back home?  <Do they even have snow in the Phillipines?>
Them :  No, not really.
Me : You do know what you're doing, right? This is serious weather here./
Them Oh yes, we know how to ski.
Me : How many lessons have you had? What sort of level are you?
Them :  Oh we haven't had any lessons.
Me : So how do you know what your doing?
Them : We watched a YouTube Video before we came.

After they had demonstrated difficulty in getting their skis on and a complete inability to execute a simple plough-stop, I made them go back down on the Funicular to practice at the bottom!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy