Author Topic: Ambling round Aston on Clun & a stride up Burrow hill , Shropshire . 24th June .  (Read 2562 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
A serious hat tip to Mr Bww for recommending a walk round this area and to take in Burrow hill , Shropshire . The panoramic views from Burrow hill are wonderful with plenty of Oak trees and natural seats to sit in the shade which was a God send in the heat yesterday .

It was around 12 mile in total and I had to change my plan for the last two mile as after walking half way up Clunbury hill , which I had walked down only a week earlier , the path became so overgrown that I couldn`t safely make any headway . It is amazing how the sun and heavy rains have created perfect conditions for the brambles and backen up there . I honestly could have done with a machete . I was dismayed at having to backtrack but in the heat around 4pm I decided discretion over my wants .  :)

I started & finished my walk at Aston on Clun , with a perfect parking spot opposite the Aston hall driveway .

A view down from the church yard at Sibdon Carwood .

The views from Hopesay hill toward Burrow hill .

Some locals at Hopesay village .

On the way up to Burrow hill .

Looking back toward Hopesay village .

In the forest surrounding Burrow hill .

A lovely seat under the shade of a huge Oak tree , near the top of Burrow hill  .

Walking down the opposite side of Burrow Hill .

A whole field of Foxgloves .

Walking toward Clunbury .

Red Campion in the shadows .

I met many of these fellows after turning back from Clunbury hill . So some nice consolation .

I returned to my car around 4pm . I was surprised at how high the temperatures were by late afternoon and so glad I took extra juice and water along with me .

Thanks for looking . O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A lovely walk again, crisp clear views and pics  O0
The shots of the foxgloves and the damsel were well captured.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great pics, looks a really nice area.
It must be perfect conditions for foxgloves this year.
I know what you mean about over grown paths, I had to alter my route when walking on Wednesday and also, towards the end of the walk, just pressed on through getting scratched and stung as there was no easy alternative.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Lovely photography, and Shropshire has a lot to offer the keen walker, so it would seem. Those foxgloves trump Ridge's.

And I didn't know that South Park was in Shropshire  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Great photos and glad your walk lived up to my recommendation. If my memories are on course I have traced out a line from Clunbury hill, which should be a walkable route and free of undergrowth owing to land management. It is a superb area of walking yet the access to Broome station is so flawed that it's value is too hidden to become popular.

I must look through my photos, I think I recall the sloping ground covered with foxgloves, but I am sure I was not able to get a picture of them at just the prime time of flowering that you have caught.

I would be interested in your observations on the footfall on the fort. Looking at your track it seems you may not have walked the NW rampart, it is from there that you get interesting glimpses into parts of Radnorshire, another area that takes second place to the peak bagging districts that draw too many first timers away from the areas that could be valuable learning terrain.

There are two blocks of hereditary estates that sadly flaw this area. One the landowners family escaped the massacre mentioned on the information board. Probably because the locals did not tell the Parliamentary forces of the location of his estate, their religious beliefs live through to this century yet the have no desire to share the countryside more than where the definitive map requires.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member
A lovely walk again, crisp clear views and pics  O0
The shots of the foxgloves and the damsel were well captured.
Thanks VG , it was indeed a lovely walk . I more often than not , used to drive into Wales to walk but since lockdown I have discovered the gems of Shropshire , and what it has to offer .

Great pics, looks a really nice area.
It must be perfect conditions for foxgloves this year.
I know what you mean about over grown paths, I had to alter my route when walking on Wednesday and also, towards the end of the walk, just pressed on through getting scratched and stung as there was no easy alternative.

Thanks , yes agreed about the Foxgloves they are rampant . I used to carry secateurs with me at one time, but on that walk I do not think  secateurs would have even touched some of the brambles .

Lovely photography, and Shropshire has a lot to offer the keen walker, so it would seem. Those foxgloves trump Ridge's.

And I didn't know that South Park was in Shropshire  ;)
Thanks . Yes those South park folk really brought a smile to my face . I only took one quick photo as I saw a woman sitting in the garden out the corner of my eye . I m paranoid about making sure I allow people their privacy , even if a right of way goes directly through a garden etc .  O0

Great photos and glad your walk lived up to my recommendation. If my memories are on course I have traced out a line from Clunbury hill, which should be a walkable route and free of undergrowth owing to land management. It is a superb area of walking yet the access to Broome station is so flawed that it's value is too hidden to become popular.

I must look through my photos, I think I recall the sloping ground covered with foxgloves, but I am sure I was not able to get a picture of them at just the prime time of flowering that you have caught.
I would be interested in your observations on the footfall on the fort. Looking at your track it seems you may not have walked the NW rampart, it is from there that you get interesting glimpses into parts of Radnorshire, another area that takes second place to the peak bagging districts that draw too many first timers away from the areas that could be valuable learning terrain.
There are two blocks of hereditary estates that sadly flaw this area. One the landowners family escaped the massacre mentioned on the information board. Probably because the locals did not tell the Parliamentary forces of the location of his estate, their religious beliefs live through to this century yet the have no desire to share the countryside more than where the definitive map requires.

Thanks Bww , the GPS track was really just a rough guide for me , that was pre plotted . I entered the grounds through an unmarked gate on the East side of the hill . I then had a good walk all round what I can only guess were the original ramparts . There was one area Nor` West of the hill that I missed as I was taken by surprise to see two women sitting chatting in the sunshine in one of the deep hollows , so I waved and then decided to make my way down the South West side of Burrrow hill , so as not to disturb or be overlooking them .

The walk round the top of the hill was a wonderful . There was good shade from many of the Oak trees and views which were a delight . I spent around an hour up there . If it wasn`t for the deciduous trees which I didn`t expect , it would have been very hot up there .

Mel

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics G&P.  More rolling English countryside in the sunshine.  The knitted people made me smile  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics G&P.  More rolling English countryside in the sunshine.  The knitted people made me smile  :)
Thanks Mel..yes I loved those guys !  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
Great stuff, Englands green and pleasant land  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
Fabulous countryside, stunning views, flamboyant foxgloves, wish Shropshire was a bit closer to me.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
Great stuff, Englands green and pleasant land  :)
Thanks . I cannot get enough at the moment .  O0

Fabulous countryside, stunning views, flamboyant foxgloves, wish Shropshire was a bit closer to me.
I have driven through Shropshire to get to Wales for years . The continuing lockdown in Wales , forced me to greater appreciate what is almost on my doorstep .  :) ps Jac , love that word , flamboyant . !  O0

April

• Veteran Member
More lovely pics from Shropshire  O0 Love the foxglove field, I've never seen as many!

I have been to Shopshire but it was almost 40 years ago and I can't remember much of it now. It was a boating holiday and I remember going over an aqueduct from Shropshire into Wales. Shame there was no walking during the holiday  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Beautiful pics once again G&P. The landscape shots are lovely but I really like the close ups O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Your photos really show how hot it was.

Flower and insect shots look great with dark background.... 'love the wee people'

What an impressive field of foxgloves!

GnP

• Veteran Member
More lovely pics from Shropshire  O0 Love the foxglove field, I've never seen as many!

I have been to Shopshire but it was almost 40 years ago and I can't remember much of it now. It was a boating holiday and I remember going over an aqueduct from Shropshire into Wales. Shame there was no walking during the holiday  :)
Thanks April . Yes those Foxgloves close up were mesmerising  , & still , even with no walking those memories sound really fine . I wonder if it was the Chirk Aqueduct . https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/chirk-aqueduct . You have given me what sounds like a great place to visit soon .!  O0

Beautiful pics once again G&P. The landscape shots are lovely but I really like the close ups O0
Thanks for looking , Karl .  O0

Your photos really show how hot it was.

Flower and insect shots look great with dark background.... 'love the wee people'

What an impressive field of foxgloves!
Thanks Dodgylegs . I hope your knees are on the mend . O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy