Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9842 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #60 on: 18:35:20, 01/05/19 »
I would also add that Paramo are generous in their sizing, if you would normally be in a large I would try a medium first and so on.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 19:21:53, 01/05/19 »
I would also add that Paramo are generous in their sizing, if you would normally be in a large I would try a medium first and so on.
I didn’t find that to be the case.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 19:30:12, 01/05/19 »
Oh well there you go, it’s been the case for me with both my Velez smocks, two windproofs and a baselayer.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 19:46:27, 01/05/19 »
It might just be my shape  ;D . I was trying on zipped waterproofs rather than smocks, so that could make for a different fit.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 19:59:53, 01/05/19 »
It might just be my shape  ;D . I was trying on zipped waterproofs rather than smocks, so that could make for a different fit.
Could be, I’m a bit of a funny shape myself, I find Berghaus and Rab come up short on me and Paramo quite big, if they did something between a large and extra large it would be perfect  ;D

Jim Parkin

« Reply #65 on: 20:41:52, 06/05/19 »
Yeah I need to pay for my car MOT this month. My waterproof jacket is OK on the flat but I suspect I'll get covered in sweat going uphill. I'll give it a chance but I bought it thinking it was the best I could do, possibly I could have done better.

It's good research for the future.
I get covered in sweat going uphill when only wearing a baselayer at about ten degrees.  No jacket is almost always going to be less sweaty than a jacket. 

Pitboot

« Reply #66 on: 12:19:03, 07/05/19 »

They used to be generous in sizing, I have a Cascada size L from years ago and it is roomy, great for winter layers.
I recently bought a Helki as I wanted to go lighter and now have to wear XL, same goes for shirts and t shirts, and NO I'm not fatter than I was.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 21:48:53, 07/05/19 »

They used to be generous in sizing, I have a Cascada size L from years ago and it is roomy, great for winter layers.
I recently bought a Helki as I wanted to go lighter and now have to wear XL, same goes for shirts and t shirts, and NO I'm not fatter than I was.
I find the complete opposite, are you sure you’ve not been at the pies?  ;)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 22:49:58, 07/05/19 »
I am of ‘large build’ and couldn’t find anything in Paramo that was remotely in my size. I am taller and a few stones  lighter than Rob, but in no way could I be described as a sylph.On that basis, I suspect that Paramo wouldn’t suit him, but perhaps I am just an odd shape

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 22:54:51, 07/05/19 »
I am of ‘large build’ and couldn’t find anything in Paramo that was remotely in my size. I am taller and a few stones  lighter than Rob, but in no way could I be described as a sylph.On that basis, I suspect that Paramo wouldn’t suit him, but perhaps I am just an odd shape

I'm on a diet now so it would be silly to buy expensive Paramo clothes for this size. In a few months I should be a few stone lighter (and more importantly for clothes, inches thinner). In a year I might even fit into off the shelf clothes.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 23:06:53, 07/05/19 »
Rob, I wish you well on your weight loss campaign. I need to lose several stone myself so that it takes less effort walking in the hills. Losing weight will also take some strain off my knees and back neither of which are not in a pristine state and may also assist with my Achilles tendonitis. I am the upper end of the size range for a lot of outdoor gear and off the peg clothes and it would be good to have more choice.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 10:08:39, 08/05/19 »
We easily lose weight in our house, neither of us likes shopping and we always seem to leave it until there is nothing but crumbs (or less) in our cupboards. Some people we know would fall apart if their kitchens are not FULLY stocked! One friend even has a War Store, a 6' x 3' metal cabinet in their garage stocked to the gunnels with tins and so on, just waiting for the day when...............? We know exactly where to if when the bomb drops, or if we become hungry after Brexit!  :)

I've no real experience of waterproof trousers, I only ever owned one pair but I do have a Paramo jacket, I bought a 'S' and its always been a bit too big for me.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #72 on: 13:10:21, 08/05/19 »
When we started out on our walking career we bought over trousers, I wore them once and have never bothered since, I found the sweat from the inside is as bad as the rain on the outside and because the rain is generally accompanied by cold weather 'Breathable' fabrics should work but don't in my experience.. I find lose fitting clothing best, the rain pelts down and the wind blows, the fabric flaps around flicking the ain off meaning the rain doesn't soak through.. I have been soaked to the skin by failed fabrics, water getting in through holes ( neck, arms, open pockets, tops of boots and poor stitching ) there is actually not much you can do about it but find a distraction and know that getting wet is part of the whole outdoors experience. Spending £hundreds to stay dry is all OK if you have that sort of money to buy, replace and spend time maintaining the apparel.. I prefer to keep the extremities protected, gloves, hat, socks ( carry dry spares ) neck tube, fleece layers.. there is a lot of clothing you can carry that doesn't take up much space or weight.. Getting out is the most important thing, keeping dry might just mean carrying a brolly ? The Weather is different every time, there is so many different types / permutations of Weather, keeping dry is difficult, coping is the best method.. Mountain climbing is a different kettle of fish, keeping warm and dry is very important when hanging off a cliff at 4000ft..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 13:44:02, 08/05/19 »
looks like you and I think in the same sort of way. I now treat getting wet as a totally different subject from ALL other clothing needs. My clothing purchases, except for boots, are all now about the other weathers, cold, wind, heat and so on.

To keep dry I use my gaiters, they in my model are the most important items and a £15 waterproof long coat, it works very well. I used them this morning, went for a walk in the rain and came home dry.

At the moment I'm thinking about buying a second £15 long coat and cutting the bottom area off to make it just a posterior covering jacket, specifically to use with my rain skirt. The short jacket for the summer, the long coat for the winter perhaps?

Pity I didn't understand all this when I bought my expensive Paramo jacket a few years ago. Looking back, a total waste of money!

tenmilesplus

« Reply #74 on: 13:51:57, 08/05/19 »
I bought a Paramo too, I haven't felt the need to use it yet...
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy