Author Topic: Flickr  (Read 3230 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Flickr
« Reply #15 on: 09:48:56, 07/11/18 »
Does this Flickr issue raise a problem with the internet generally? Is it a good idea to store anything on line? I don't think I would choose to do it, whether it be documents or photos or anything else really. The other possible problem is electricity supply! Almost everything we rely on these days relies on electricity, even to get our gas supply. My old Mum, as a young woman in WW2, always warned us that in the event of a new countrywide emergency most of the population of the UK will face major difficuluties, no heat for a start, because most houses today depends on electricity for their central heating. After watching the Syrian war unfold over the last few years its easy for me to tell myself, if it can happen there, a similar conflict could possibly happen here. Without electricity......!!!

To date I've bought two apps, both maps, I am very reluctant to buy anything else. In todays capitalist world it suggests to me that everything is built on sand, businesses come and go, takeovers and so on, what can we rely on? It used to be that one selling point for some firms, to help us feel confident about the future, was that they had been in existance for 200 years or more, that although life around us would change they wouldn't. So for me, the idea that the internet world I know today will be the same reliable internet world in 20 years time is, in my view, not possible. So I tell myself, putting something important on the internet is potentially putting me in peril at some later date!

I'm not suggesting that we go back to paper but as a complete amatuer with regard to PCs, I keep all my photos/documents and so on on 2 separate hard disks and I make hard copies of the ones I consider important. I keep nothing on my PC, only the programmes I use.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:02:11, 07/11/18 »
Cheer up, it ain’t that bad!
Today’s risks are just high tech versions of the old ones. If you kept everything in hard copy under the matresss you could be robbed or your house could burn down.  At least with the internet you can put your eggs in more than one basket. What is you plan against the loss of your two hard disks to fire or burglary or obsolescence?
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:29:26, 07/11/18 »
What is you plan against the loss of your two hard disks to fire or burglary or obsolescence?

Keep them in the shed at the bottom of the garden?

In GWM's gloom and doom scenario, I think most users of this site would have far greater chance of coping than a large proportion of the general populace, as we've all got suitable warm and weatherproof clothing, know how to find shelter, some of us additionaly have sleeping equipmemnt suitable for most conditions, and I imagine most of us know how to make a fire. Mind you, I once spent a pretty miserable four days indoors dressed in baselayers, pile jacket and fleece hat when the central heating broke down, while the cat looked ready to find another home.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:55:48, 08/11/18 »
My external hard disks I believe are well hidden. I may be a bit simplistic in my PC knowledge but I just feel that if someone stole my PC I wouldn't lose anthing, all of my programmes can be replaced easily and because I use Last Pass all of my sites and passwords are safe as well.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:32:51, 08/11/18 »
My external hard disks I believe are well hidden. I may be a bit simplistic in my PC knowledge but I just feel that if someone stole my PC I wouldn't lose anthing, all of my programmes can be replaced easily and because I use Last Pass all of my sites and passwords are safe as well.

If you stored your files in the cloud and something happened to your PC you could just download them from the cloud again. People usually keep a local copy of their data too. It's unlikely something would happen to the cloud storage and something would happen to your PC on the same day. If you use LastPass, all your passwords are stored online, you're relying on online storage already. Relying on multiple hard drives is probably good enough (although if you store them in the same building as your PC, like ninthace says your vulnerable to fire and possibly theft even if you've hidden them well) but storing your files online would add an additional layer of protection not make it less protected. If a cloud storage facility goes down you can just upload your files again to a new storage facility from your local copy.

The super, super prepared thing to do is store them on hard disks AND online. Personally I don't have anything important enough to worry that much about but if you do maybe you should think about it.

As for the electricity supply going down, your PC and backups would be useless without power so you'd only have your hard copies. I don't have anything important enough to worry about in the event of such an infrastructure failure but if the Russians decide to bomb us you'll be glad you made those hard copies :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:10:13, 08/11/18 »
I store all my photos on two external hard discs. One is in front of me on a shelf above my monitor, the other is on a shelf a few metres behind where I'm sitting. In the event of my house catching fire, I'll have more important things to be worried about.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy