Author Topic: Self-catering cottages for walking holidays :-)  (Read 7028 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: Self-catering cottages for walking holidays :-)
« Reply #15 on: 22:57:43, 30/06/20 »
Any chance of putting links in for the cottages. We camp but have stayed in cottages over the years in various places so any recommendations are good  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:04:26, 30/06/20 »
Maybe rather than long reviews with photos just a cottage name, where it is and a link. Otherwise
I can see this thread being very long!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:25:07, 01/07/20 »
Maybe rather than long reviews with photos just a cottage name, where it is and a link. Otherwise
I can see this thread being very long!

I'm afraid that posting reviews with photos is my thing. Surely you've been following my Completely Covering Kent thread?  ;)

But the great thing about threads is that you can ignore them at your leisure!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:29:48, 01/07/20 »
Any chance of putting links in for the cottages. We camp but have stayed in cottages over the years in various places so any recommendations are good  O0

I'm afraid I deliberately don't include links because I don't want to be accused of promoting or advertising businesses. However, I am including the names so it should be a simple matter to google them...   :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:58:24, 01/07/20 »
Price is a factor for many, Dave. Any chance of including a ballpark figure for a week?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:09:20, 01/07/20 »
Price is a factor for many, Dave. Any chance of including a ballpark figure for a week?
£1227 for the only free week in August. Sleeps 3.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:26:49, 01/07/20 »
I had good grounding in hill walking in my late teens, combined with rock climbing and by my 20s I was combining the two, mostly staying over night in barns, bunk houses or under canvas. When I came to walking in later life, I wound up my business 4 yrs short of the 2008 crash, but Mrs BWW continued to work. We did B&B's on her free days, which led to self catering cottages.

I was fairly confident that I knew all I needed to know about walking, it was these marvellous breaks that made me realise that there is far more to walking than I had assumed I then knew. It is the variety of terrain, combined with the freedom of the day that these often gorgeous locations allow, less likely to be influenced by recommendations about where you should go by well meaning locals, yet close enough to to get into the feel of the place.

We stayed in a converted  manorial gate house in the Gatehouse of Fleet, I had done tons of preparation for The Galway Forest, but the weather made it chancy to get a day to take risks, but we were fortunate, a one day gap gave us the opportunity the Walk the Merrick and to find the Grey Man of Merrick. Mrs BWW had told our host that it was one of our aims during our week, the day after, when he came round and she told him we had done it, he said, "Lots of people say they are coming here to do that, but you are first to actually do it".

The cottage was beautifully done out, we climbed to the bedroom by a stone spiral stair case up a tower, decorated with a fantasy mural and had red squirrels feeding outside the kitchen window when we breakfasted. The furnishings were as similarly classy as the OP's photos and I think we negotiated an extra night outside the fixed weeks on the booking schedule. The nightly charge was similar to cheap B&B.

One of my abiding memories were the colours of the stone of the Solway Firth, when the weather was claggy, the close-ups were as vibrant as any of the distant views we might have been missing on hilltops, we even had a deserted island to explore. I put down a marker on the tideline as it was falling, had I not so, we would have spent the night on that island.

Sadly the one thing I did notice was the local walkers had really failed to develop routes in keeping with freedoms given to them by the 2003 Land Reform Act. We could have walked better routes low down, if there was a true understanding based on the intention of this law change.

That is just one experience of these marvelous examples of our developing hospitality trade, shame a properly evolving share of the countryside, they are situated in, is not keeping pace.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:19:40, 01/07/20 »

So, yes - please do resist the temptation to promote holiday lets as they are a scourge on the survival of local communities and village life in general.

I can't agree with your sentiments on holiday lets run as a business.  Regardless of where the property owner lives, they provide jobs in the service industry and income from those staying spending in the local community.  The simple economic fact is if a local village cannot generate enough local income to sustain it's population then the money either comes in from elsewhere or the village dies.  Blaming the people buying and running the holiday lets does not solve fundamental issues.  Second homes left empty apart from when the owners care to visit is a different if related matter.  Those I do take umbrage with.
« Last Edit: 12:22:48, 01/07/20 by BuzyG »

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:24:48, 01/07/20 »

I can't agree with your sentiments on holiday lets run as a business.  Regardless of where the property owner lives, they provide jobs in the service industry and income from those staying spending in the local community.  The simple economic fact is if a local village cannot generate enough local income to sustain it's population then the money either comes in from elsewhere or the village dies.  Blaming the people buying and running the holiday lets does not solve fundamental issues.  Second homes left empty apart from when the owners care to visit is a different if related matter.  Those I do take umbrage with.
That's the same old argument always trotted out by the Holiday Home Owners Association.  At least owners of second homes pay council tax. O0    Yesterday I saw the owner of a holiday let in a local village making preparations for re-opening on July 4th.  She looked a little sheepish when she noticed me watching because she was actually committing a fraud with one of her actions, by doing so she was undercutting the running costs of her competitors who do do the right thing along with the pubs, hotels and other businesses in the village.  Over the years that particular property/business, and the one fifty yards from it, have defrauded the council and its tax payers of thousands of pounds by receiving services to which they are not lawfully entitled.  ???
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:34:11, 01/07/20 »

OUCH!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:39:00, 01/07/20 »

OUCH!
and £30 extra to take Tess.

Too pricey for me but it has high occupancy for the rest of the summer so they are clearly pitching it at the right price for their market.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:45:06, 01/07/20 »
Assuming you're referring to Clogwyn Cottage, we had a week at the end of September 2018 for around half of that price.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:53:20, 01/07/20 »
Assuming you're referring to Clogwyn Cottage, we had a week at the end of September 2018 for around half of that price.
I was. I just looked through for the next available date which was mid-August, which is always going to be their peak rate. I've no problem with them charging that price or with people paying it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:21:52, 01/07/20 »
..........  Over the years that particular property/business, and the one fifty yards from it, have defrauded the council and its tax payers of thousands of pounds by receiving services to which they are not lawfully entitled.  ???

If they have not paid council tax and are in consequence not entitled to certain services why are the council providing them?
Would appear that the council need to get their act together
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:06:08, 01/07/20 »
If they have not paid council tax and are in consequence not entitled to certain services why are the council providing them?
Would appear that the council need to get their act together
I agree. I pay my council to enforce their own interpretation of national legislation. This is not the same as someone committing fraud or a criminal act.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy