Author Topic: Camping kettle flaking inside, advice needed  (Read 1781 times)

Doddy

Camping kettle flaking inside, advice needed
« on: 11:16:17, 27/06/18 »
I have small camping kettle which I think is anodised aluminium, certainly aluminium with a coating. I noticed that in the inside the kettle the coating is coming off in small flakes. I am not keen on continuing to use it; is there any way I can reseal it or do I just bin it.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping kettle flaking inside, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 11:37:33, 27/06/18 »
I have small camping kettle which I think is anodised aluminium, certainly aluminium with a coating. I noticed that in the inside the kettle the coating is coming off in small flakes. I am not keen on continuing to use it; is there any way I can reseal it or do I just bin it.

Are you sure its not limescale ?

You can buy limescale removal 'stuff', or even just boil a marble and as it rolls around it knocks off limescale and you can just 'swill it out'.

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 11:53:46, 27/06/18 »
Thanks I thought about that but it is the coating.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:13:52, 27/06/18 »
Thanks I thought about that but it is the coating.

Doesn't sound too pleasant/healthy. I guess you could try an acid descaler in an attempt to get all the flaking over and done with - if it reacts to the acid that is. Or a brillo pad with the same aim.

Otherwise I think I'd be tempted to bin it. I can't see flakes of aluminium being a good idea to ingest in any quantity.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:20:35, 27/06/18 »
Urrgh, get rid.  If you're convinced it's not limescale then flakes of anything isn't good.  Plus, if the sealing/coating has come off the "base metal" (so to speak) then god knows what's being released into the water when it's heated.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:50:14, 27/06/18 »
Just bin it, Doddy; replacement kettles are dirt cheap, and goodness knows what is in the flakes that are coming off.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:07:15, 27/06/18 »
Hang it in a hedge or tree in a way that rain/water doesn't get in easily. Wrens love nesting in them.
I have two old kettles in a thorn bush in my allotment one of which has been home to a wren, smashing little bird.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 14:52:12, 12/07/18 »

I will be putting the kettle in the garden or use as a house plant watering can. I have bought a Camelwill stainless steel kettle which looks good. I will be using this in my Citroen Berlingo micro camper which I use for some multiday walks when I can get back to it with public transport. I use a MSR Titan kettle on lightweight tenting trips.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy