Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573279 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3105 on: 09:17:54, 20/07/20 »
Some city walking in Edinburgh that took in the Royal Botanical Gardens, some of the Leith Walk, the Castle and the Royal Mile, and to cap it all, a walk up Arthur's Seat, a real mountain in miniature. We were visiting my daughter prior to her moving south to London.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3106 on: 16:34:46, 20/07/20 »
Got around to the trip report. Took me longer than the actual walk.
Including tea breaks.

https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40629.0
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3107 on: 19:48:12, 26/07/20 »
I walked today from Denton, on the outskirts of Newhaven, via Firle Beacon to Bishopstone near Seaford, taking in a swathe of the South Downs.  Beautiful panoramic views    :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3108 on: 20:16:51, 26/07/20 »
A short walk up and over mighty Great Burney (298m), south west of Coniston Water. Pleasantly wild, but the descent down steep ground to the north was badly scarred by scramblers (the bikes that is, not rock climbers). High point of the walk was meeting a herd of 5 semi feral ponies on the walk back down a minor road to the car - lovely to see such beautiful creatures running wild. No photos sadly - phone battery flat as a pancake.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3109 on: 00:32:50, 27/07/20 »
Out on Bodmin moor today. Great to meet up and walk with cornwallcoastpathdweller.  The weather was kind to us.  Well after you stood in the rain while I put my gaiters on it was.  ;D   Not sure I quite sold the idea of boots and gaiters.  More the idea of staying off Bodmin moor in damp conditions.

Any way a good days walking and chatting. 12 miles and 580m up and down, by my measure.

SWCP next time and hopefully Mel can make it too  O0

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3110 on: 23:23:41, 28/07/20 »
Out on Bodmin moor today. Great to meet up and walk with cornwallcoastpathdweller.  The weather was kind to us.  Well after you stood in the rain while I put my gaiters on it was.  ;D   Not sure I quite sold the idea of boots and gaiters.  More the idea of staying off Bodmin moor in damp conditions.

Any way a good days walking and chatting. 12 miles and 580m up and down, by my measure.

SWCP next time and hopefully Mel can make it too  O0

Yes a nice day BuzyG, good to meet and spend some time chatting in a new place.  Bodmin moor first time for me with the miracle of only 2 mins worth of rain.  For those not in the know Bodmin is generally wetter than Atlantis on a poor day.

Pleased to report no signs of trenchfoot after using my trail shoed feet to test the depths of a few 'puddles' at the start. 
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3111 on: 15:28:12, 02/08/20 »
4 mile walk around Shingle Street this morning. Only a small car park there and when we got back the narrow road starting to resemble the road to Seathwaite. I think all the locals must be avoiding Southwold and Aldeburgh!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3112 on: 17:08:57, 02/08/20 »
Nice photo - looks like an interesting bit of coast.

By way of contrast, I walked 4 miles along forestry roads through Chapel House Plantation above Windermere. Knee didn't grumble too much. I'm glad to say.

Hadrian

« Reply #3113 on: 17:25:36, 02/08/20 »
4 mile walk from Rothbury up to Lordenshaws Iron Age hillfort. Dry and sunny with a light breeze and the moorland turning purple as the heather comes into bloom.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3114 on: 19:40:13, 02/08/20 »
Out this morning on Dartmoor.  A quick 11 mile walk in to Fur tor via Tavy cleave and back via Great Links.  A group of around 20 youngsters having a wild camp and enjoying some tunes on their beat box.  I Sat on top and listen for around half an hour, tapping my toes. Then the heavens opened, so I high tailed it back in time to watch the British GP on the tele.  O0

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3115 on: 20:36:40, 02/08/20 »
Nowhere for me today, set the alarm for a 6am 'usual' route along the cliff path but decided against it and went back to sleep.  Furthest i went today was around the garden with the lawnmower - need to have a word with myself!
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3116 on: 22:31:02, 02/08/20 »
Nowhere for me today, set the alarm for a 6am 'usual' route along the cliff path but decided against it and went back to sleep.  Furthest i went today was around the garden with the lawnmower - need to have a word with myself!
I wise choice, I see a chunk of cliff near to you is now on the beach since Friday.  The chap walking his dog. Will be in need of new undies. :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-53616483/huge-cliff-fall-in-cornwall-stuns-onlookers

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3117 on: 07:55:00, 03/08/20 »
4 mile walk from Rothbury up to Lordenshaws Iron Age hillfort. Dry and sunny with a light breeze and the moorland turning purple as the heather comes into bloom.
Nice.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3118 on: 08:18:45, 03/08/20 »

Yes, another who has noticed the heather flourishing to it's finest purple in the past week or so.  O0

Hadrian

« Reply #3119 on: 08:23:09, 03/08/20 »

Yes, another who has noticed the heather flourishing to it's finest purple in the past week or so.  O0

A week ago up here there was no colour at all in the heather - what a change in 7 days!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy