Author Topic: Spot Gen 3 GPS Messenger/Tracker  (Read 962 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Spot Gen 3 GPS Messenger/Tracker
« on: 08:21:42, 17/01/20 »
Does anyone on here carry one?
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Spot Gen 3 GPS Messenger/Tracker
« Reply #1 on: 08:42:34, 17/01/20 »
Not familiar with it and not thinking of buying one, but the high proportion of poor reviews on Amazon would put me off, some for iffy performance, while some speak of high charges and bad customer support.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:55:44, 17/01/20 »
Does anyone on here carry one?

No, not me.
I carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) Not exactly the same features  but does what I need it to do with no on-going costs. Just sits on my shoulder strap ready to be deployed and never needs charging, just replace batteries every 6 years.

Works world wide, land sea or air, anywhere where you can see the sky it'll "call for help"

« Last Edit: 09:58:56, 17/01/20 by alan de enfield »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:31:39, 17/01/20 »
Unless you are really out in the wilds, Buddy Beacon on ViewRanger might suffice.  Granted it needs a data signal to work but that is usually available on higher ground in England and Wales.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:38:56, 17/01/20 »
That's the problem though, I've found quite a few places where mobile signal is non-existant, more recently Ribblehead viaduct and for a large part of the circular walk up and over Whernside :(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:49:10, 17/01/20 »
That's the problem though, I've found quite a few places where mobile signal is non-existant, more recently Ribblehead viaduct and for a large part of the circular walk up and over Whernside :(
  Granted but there is a difference between no mobile signal and do data signal.  The phone just needs a fleeting connection to outload current and past positions.  The breadcrumb trace will be intermittent but it gives people something to go on if you are missing.  Of course it is not as good as a dedicated gps/satellite tracker system but it is a whole lot cheaper.  In my experience, even in the Dales and the Lakes, there is often a connection on higher ground even when there isn't one on lower ground.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:01:09, 17/01/20 »
  Granted but there is a difference between no mobile signal and do data signal.  The phone just needs a fleeting connection to outload current and past positions.  The breadcrumb trace will be intermittent but it gives people something to go on if you are missing.  Of course it is not as good as a dedicated gps/satellite tracker system but it is a whole lot cheaper.  In my experience, even in the Dales and the Lakes, there is often a connection on higher ground even when there isn't one on lower ground.

I understand what you're saying with regards data and mobile signals, maybe my provider was having a bad day but for a lot of the walk I was actually getting a "No Service" message even with data roaming switched on, likewise a lot of the walks I do in Northumbria I get patchy service at best.  I'm not saying cost is no issue (if it wasn't I'd have invested in a Iridium or Thuraya 'phone) and I must stress it's not for tracking purposes but for the ability of the unit to get a message out that either I'm OK or that I need help.

It's paid for now anyways, will give it the 12 months to see how it performs, could be an expensive mistake or a life saver, hope initially it's the former but also hope it does the latter should I need it, if you get my drift :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:26:27, 17/01/20 »
I understand what you're saying with regards data and mobile signals, maybe my provider was having a bad day but for a lot of the walk I was actually getting a "No Service" message even with data roaming switched on, likewise a lot of the walks I do in Northumbria I get patchy service at best.  I'm not saying cost is no issue (if it wasn't I'd have invested in a Iridium or Thuraya 'phone) and I must stress it's not for tracking purposes but for the ability of the unit to get a message out that either I'm OK or that I need help.

It's paid for now anyways, will give it the 12 months to see how it performs, could be an expensive mistake or a life saver, hope initially it's the former but also hope it does the latter should I need it, if you get my drift :D
I take it you have already registered your phone with https://www.emergencysms.net/  It is not just for deaf and hard of hearing and could be a lifesaver.
Solvitur Ambulando

motorlaunch

« Reply #8 on: 16:09:44, 17/01/20 »
I have one which was purchased primarily for when backpacking in Scotland. Use it at the end of each day to send a message to family members. It is a pre prepared message saying that I have finished walking and am camped up for the night. It also gives them my co-ordinates so they know where I am. Never bothered with the tracking function and fortunately never needed the SOS function. See the main benefit being to reassure family members. If, after trying it, you do decide to cancel your subscription, do it at least a month before it is due or they will hit you for another year's subscription.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:55:43, 17/01/20 »
I have one which was purchased primarily for when backpacking in Scotland. Use it at the end of each day to send a message to family members. It is a pre prepared message saying that I have finished walking and am camped up for the night. It also gives them my co-ordinates so they know where I am. Never bothered with the tracking function and fortunately never needed the SOS function. See the main benefit being to reassure family members. If, after trying it, you do decide to cancel your subscription, do it at least a month before it is due or they will hit you for another year's subscription.

Thanks for the tip.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:26:00, 20/01/20 »
A year or two old but a comparison between SPOT and a PLB with an American viewpoint.

To summarise : "a PLB is about your safety, the SPOT is about your families comfort"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUQOWhyYAs

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy