Author Topic: Cyclists  (Read 9459 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Cyclists
« Reply #60 on: 13:19:24, 12/05/20 »
My tuppenceworth: My midweek daywalking circuits in the Chilterns often cross minor roads or follow them for short distances, and it is not uncommon for a lycra-clad cyclist or a pair to pass me. Now we are older blokes who have gone out to enjoy and exercise in the countryside, at a time when other poor souls are stuck doing 9 to 5, so I feel we have something in common. Why is it then, that on average only about one in four of them respond to my cheery nod or wave?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 13:29:33, 12/05/20 »
Must be a home counties thing - doesn't happen around here, they all say hello.  I often get a weather report too although I am not sure what the "it" is that it is nice weather for.
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 13:42:42, 12/05/20 »
I have found that most cyclists don't acknowledge me when walking (with honourable exceptions), but they do when I'm cycling, despite the fact that I am obviously tootling along and clearly not taking it seriously.  The funniest was when an elderly chap overtook me on a very steep hill (I was pushing my bike up it), and he encouraged me along, saying 'Nay, lass, you're doing very well, that isn't really a road bike'.  A few seconds later a younger chap pedalled past, grinned, and said ' I wouldn't mind, but that [censored]**r ahead is 82!'  I suppose he was about 20 years older, gave me hope for the future!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 13:55:33, 12/05/20 »
I always enjoy watching any guy who looks past his sell by date, go whizzing past without a care in the world and making it all look so effortless.
Then to realise it is an electric bike & the battery and drive wheel are so very well camouflaged within a great design of a bike.

I bought an electric bike one time, and when the governor is turned off, the speeds you could get up to were interesting to say the least.  ;)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 14:22:22, 12/05/20 »
Alas, I had the opportunity to have a good look at it at the top of the hill.  It wasn't electric, but it did have those thin tyres and was more streamlined than my ancient touring bike.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 16:14:10, 12/05/20 »
My tuppenceworth: My midweek daywalking circuits in the Chilterns often cross minor roads or follow them for short distances, and it is not uncommon for a lycra-clad cyclist or a pair to pass me. Now we are older blokes who have gone out to enjoy and exercise in the countryside, at a time when other poor souls are stuck doing 9 to 5, so I feel we have something in common. Why is it then, that on average only about one in four of them respond to my cheery nod or wave?

BINGO!! I've scanned this thread and was quite surprised not to find the phrase 'Lycra-clad'. You've made my day :-)

(funny how no-one ever refers to runners, swimmers, etc as 'lycra-clad').

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 16:24:31, 12/05/20 »
 ;D ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 16:57:21, 12/05/20 »
...(funny how no-one ever refers to runners, swimmers, etc as 'lycra-clad').

Well, since you mention it, I have a theory...  ;)

Perhaps it's because runners when running and swimmers when swimming are seen to be exercising. But (and I say this as a cyclist), cyclists tend to spend a lot of time coasting along with the wind behind them or coasting downhill and making very little effort or no effort whatsoever, all the while dressed like athletes. Just a thought!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 16:57:53, 12/05/20 »

BINGO!! I've scanned this thread and was quite surprised not to find the phrase 'Lycra-clad'. You've made my day :-)

(funny how no-one ever refers to runners, swimmers, etc as 'lycra-clad').
For a minute I thought you wrote lycra dad.
I know what you mean , there must be an `ist that describes that sort of prejudice. O0
Lycra cladism ?  :-\
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 17:03:54, 12/05/20 »
Well, since you mention it, I have a theory...  ;)

Perhaps it's because runners when running and swimmers when swimming are seen to be exercising. But (and I say this as a cyclist), cyclists tend to spend a lot of time coasting along with the wind behind them or coasting downhill and making very little effort or no effort whatsoever, all the while dressed like athletes. Just a thought!  :)

so... if you are exercising, you're NOT lycra-clad (even if you are). But if you're not exercising (which cyclists definitely are), you ARE lycra-clad?

Interesting theory.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 17:13:00, 12/05/20 »
cyclists tend to spend a lot of time coasting along with the wind behind them or coasting downhill and making very little effort or no effort whatsoever

If only the wind was always behind us, and the hills were always down  ::)

I'm going to hazard a guess... you don't exercise much, do you?

(just a theory)  ;)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 17:14:02, 12/05/20 »

so... if you are exercising, you're NOT lycra-clad (even if you are). But if you're not exercising (which cyclists definitely are), you ARE lycra-clad?

Interesting theory.

I said that cyclists spend a lot of time on their bikes coasting - as in sitting and doing nothing. Not all of the time, but a lot of the time. There are several routes near where I live during which I can freewheel for up to a mile without exercising at all.

Thanks!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 17:14:58, 12/05/20 »
I can freewheel for up to a mile without exercising at all.

I believe you  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 17:31:50, 12/05/20 »

If only the wind was always behind us, and the hills were always down  ::)

I'm going to hazard a guess... you don't exercise much, do you?

(just a theory)  ;)
In the Alps there is an entire summer industry based on taking cyclists to the top of big hills in lifts so they can freewheel downhill on special tracks just to be carried back up again.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 17:56:14, 12/05/20 »
Most cycling clubs will have a freewheeling event. See who can give the furthest with the crank tied up.
High Wycombe is great for freewheeling, can hit 50 MPH on either Amersham or Marlow Hill.
Faster if you gear it right and peddle.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy