Author Topic: My pole experience ( not for the faint hearted or those short of time)  (Read 8297 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
All this talk of stowing and storing poles, putting them in loops on the rucksack, etc, - please tell me I am not the only one who keeps their poles extended all the time, without ever compressing them. Is there anyone else?

Pitboot

I usually keep mine collapsed but in one hand. When they get in the way for any reason I hand them to my wife. :D

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
I usually keep mine collapsed but in one hand. When they get in the way for any reason I hand them to my SHERPA. :D

I've corrected that for you.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
All this talk of stowing and storing poles, putting them in loops on the rucksack, etc, - please tell me I am not the only one who keeps their poles extended all the time, without ever compressing them. Is there anyone else?

Well so far I've never stored mine, if I'm not using them I just carry them in my hand  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
My poles spend also most of their time extended.  I used to keep them in the car boot between trips but they don't quite fit across the new boot so they are now a "remember" item in the corner of the garage with the gaiters.  I usually plan my walks to I get to the car before the pub so I can chuck all my stuff away change out of my boots.  The instructions with my poles say they should be taken apart at intervals to prevent the build up of condensation and for cleaning.  A natty net storage bag is provided by the manufacturer.
If  poles are permanently extended and locked, there is a risk that the the products of corrosion on the lock screw or build up of fine debris round the internal slider (e'g. aluminium oxide dust) may prevent the poles unlocking on the day when you have to telescope them.  One other advantage of telescoping a 3 piece pole is that when you extend them again you can adjust the lock points of the mid and lower sections to get a pole of the same overall length, but with the locks in different places, thus spreading the wear.
When I was buying my poles from the inventor her husband told me that someone had sent back a pair because the locks kept slipping.  It turned out the purchaser had oiled the inside of the poles for some strange reason.  The poles were degreased and returned, presumably with advice on future care..
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
Mine get stowed if I do any scrambling.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Tried out my inherited poles for the first time this morning - a 4 mile mostly road walk with the dog. Even though they were the same length, I had a feeling that the pole in my left hand was too long - even when I swapped! And no it wasn't the camber on the road.  :D

Also, one of them rattles irritatingly when I place it on the ground - the inner telescoped tube rattling against the outer. Despite this the overall impression was positive, especially going up a short steep hill, and I shall persist.

Any advice on adjusting to the right length?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Tried out my inherited poles for the first time this morning - a 4 mile mostly road walk with the dog. Even though they were the same length, I had a feeling that the pole in my left hand was too long - even when I swapped! And no it wasn't the camber on the road.  :D

Also, one of them rattles irritatingly when I place it on the ground - the inner telescoped tube rattling against the outer. Despite this the overall impression was positive, especially going up a short steep hill, and I shall persist.

Any advice on adjusting to the right length?
Easy bit first - poles should not rattle.  Sounds like something broken or loose in the offending pole.  Take both poles apart, compare the bits and shake out the rubbish.  Do the locking bits and especially the plastic expanders have something missing?
As to the pole length issue:
If you were walking N or S then clearly you experiencing the Coriolis Force which is more marked in northern latitudes.
Or you have a dose of what pilots call the "leans" - common in cloud which you get a lot of up there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_leans
Or your shoulders aren't square to the ground.
Or one upper arm is a bit longer than the other, my poles have a left and right - perhaps you will need to have one too.
Or it might just go away with practice and good posture.
There is a lot on the net about pole adjustment - start with the a pole length such that when your elbow makes a right angle with your pole gripped and your pole tip touching the floor with the pole is vertical. If that is not comfortable for you you may be a hands high or hands low person - adjust accordingly.
http://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user-guide/basic-walking
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Mine get stowed if I do any scrambling.

Mine too.  Sometimes they are more of a hindrance than they are a help ::)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Pitboot

I've corrected that for you.

Mrs Tensing will be forever grateful. O0

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Ive got two pairs of Carbon Poles, and a singly light alloy one. I don't like poles! Ive tried and tried to get on with them, I know how to use them properly but on descents I can move faster and steadier without and on stepp ascents being an ex fell runner I prefer knee pushes.I do know many ultra runners that run with poles, but I cannot see how they benefit from that, maybe many runners and walkers who do use them do so because they seem to be part of ones neccesary equipment these days, afterall everyone has them don't they, well almost everyone.As for the Spine Challenger, John.During my 5 Spine races, I have made the Challenger distance 4 times with an average of 54 hours and have never used poles, although I always carry one just in case of an injury. Ive also walked it in the Summer carrying bivvy and cooking kit in 50 hours, without using poles. You are clearly a strong walker so I can't see you having any problem in finishing within the cut off time, but if you consider that poles may be a help, if only psychologically, then why not.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Cheers Dave, I'll see how I get on with them on the C2C but so far I'm not finding them that useful.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks ninthace - I forgot about the Coriolis effect.  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Tried out the poles whilst walking the Kirkwall Parkrun this morning (not running due to minor knee injury). Got on quite well with them - I tried Nordic style but the poles are ordinary walking poles with rudimentary wrist straps. Despite this, I got on well with them and completed the 3 and a bit miles (5k) in 43.58 minutes - a bit over 4mph (4.26mph), which is a lot more than my normal walking speed of 3mph on the flat. I'm not sure how this would compare with me just walking fast on the Parkrun, but I definitely got the impression that the poles helped in maintaining a good fast rhythm.

PS - dropped the height of the poles by 5cm and they felt good.

jontea

• Veteran Member
I'm a big fan of poles. I do think it takes quite a bit of time to get used to them.
I don't use the straps, I once fell while my hands were in the straps, I couldn't protect my fall, so I've never used the straps since.

Jon, I'm sorry but don't agree with your energy theory. Yes you have a certain amount of energy in your legs, but without poles you have wasted energy in the upper body. I don't think poles help in increasing pace, but the dispersion of energy throughout the body, means I'm able to walk further in a day with poles than without.

They do get stowed away for scrambling when both hands are needed.

I use a carbon fiber pole with quick clip adjustment, very light. I had Leki twist adjustment.....flipping rubbish!!!

I wouldn't be without mine now, they are like legs 3 & 4  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy