Author Topic: I always shave in the morning!  (Read 3055 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I always shave in the morning!
« on: 10:42:09, 17/07/19 »
When on a hike I still shave every morning, I just don't feel right unless I do.

I use a Gillette Fusion, plus their blades. I've tried other razors and blades but none work well for me. Until now I have always bought a very small container of shaving oil from Boots. It works, I just put 3 drops on the palm of my hand and then rub it onto my face. I've never liked the 'oiliness' of it so am looking for an alternative.

Can anyone recommend some other brand for me? It just has to be in a small container, last up to a fortnight or more and weigh very little. Thank you.

Pitboot

Re: I always shave in the morning!
« Reply #1 on: 12:26:54, 17/07/19 »
Good old Erasmic shave cream, dob some on with a bit of water, lather up, shave, then wipe with a towel or tissue. No oily residue and a nice clean feeling afterwards.
Comes in 75 ml tubes, lasts a lot of shaves. I've used the stuff in many environments all around the world. Can be used as an emergency hand cleanser too.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:30:52, 17/07/19 »
I rather liked the scent of Castrol R when watching stock car racing. Though I can't speak for it's facial lubrication effectiveness.
« Last Edit: 15:07:35, 17/07/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:43:14, 17/07/19 »
I just feel so dirty and unkempt, if i have not shaved every morning.
A beard or so called designer stubble, is a sign that its owner lacks self esteem, they look like a typical down and out, and that's not meant to be nasty.

Ive no idea what a beard or stubble is meant to prove, all it proves is that its owner is insecure about their appearance, and want to hide behind this facial hair.

A baby faced complexion, shows its owner is serious about how they look, and is proud about how they look after their appearance.

A beard or facial hair just ages a person.
« Last Edit: 14:50:45, 17/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:29:41, 17/07/19 »
Well Dyffryn  I have never shaved, I have always kept my beard tidy like many people do. I am an extremly confident person and have never lacked self esteem or been mistaken by anyone sane as a down and out.Many ex RN colleagues will be extremly upset to hear your opinio s on this matter. Those of us with a modicum of social skills know that you are either being extremely nasty or are just plain stupid.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:35:16, 17/07/19 »
Sorry, laughing my socks off at DA's post  :2funny:

Now, must dash.  I'm just off to plait my goatee..

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:48, 17/07/19 »
I always have a 'real' (wet) shave at home, but when pitched in a tent I can't do with that messy faffing about. I use a Wahl battery shaver, as someone on this board recommended once (can't find the post now), it's 90g rechargeable and will easily last a week.

Those of us with a modicum of social skills know that you are either being extremely nasty or are just plain stupid.

DA's post may be a bit sweeping and brusque but I think I understand the essence of it. I'm reliably informed that at one time some firms would not employ a man with a beard, at least one that would come into contact with customers.

Years ago in my workplace, I knew several clean shaven men who grew a (neat) beard when they were promoted to a certain level. They really believed that it gave them an aura of credibility and respect for their years of experience. Actually it just made them look twenty years older to me. Wanting to look older is beyond me, life's short enough.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:39:46, 17/07/19 »
Ive no idea

That part of your post made the only sense  ;)

I love beards, I wish I could grow one myself  :D

Those of us with a modicum of social skills know that you are either being extremely nasty or are just plain stupid.

O0

I want one  :( Where did you get yours?   :D
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:51:19, 17/07/19 »
The thread is rapidly drifting here from the OP's question, but I'll risk one more...

I was about to ask what the ladies here thought about it. Must be like kissing a brush?  :-\

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:51:39, 17/07/19 »

In this age of equality and diversity, I think it's bang out of order that you can't.  You should complain, or sue someone  :D

Buy genuine fake beards at www.scruffysods.com

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:55:59, 17/07/19 »
The thread is rapidly drifting here from the OP's question..

Blame DA. 

I was about to ask what the ladies here thought about it. Must be like kissing a brush?   :-\

It's great.  We can go foraging for last night's tea in it and everything   :-X

But back on topic.  I wax.  Lasts for weeks.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:02:11, 17/07/19 »
Buy genuine fake beards at www.scruffysods.com.

;D

I was about to ask what the ladies here thought about it. Must be like kissing a brush?  :-\

I can't say I have ever noticed any difference when beefy has his beard or when he shaves it off.

But back on topic.  I wax.  Lasts for weeks.

I epilate but not when I'm wild camping, there isn't a power source. Like waxing, lasts for weeks  :)
Hate will never win

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:14:28, 17/07/19 »
Sorry, laughing my socks off at DA's post  :2funny:

Vision now permanently implanted in my poor head.  Thanks for that Mel.  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:23:39, 17/07/19 »
I used to use shaving oil when travelling, a little goes a long way.  Day to day I use an electric razor and always shave before setting out for the day so I have no goatee to plait, unlike Mel.  However, I am working on the hairs now sprouting out of my nose and ears since they stopped growing on my head and I reckon if I stopped my barber trimming my eyebrows as well I could achieve some impressive facial topiary.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:27:35, 17/07/19 »
You're welcome BuzyG  O0   :D

April - I have an epilator too - it's rechargeable.  Can't quite remember why it fell out of favour with me to be honest.  Might dig it out again and save missen a fortune  O0

Ninthace, no! don't trim your ears, nose, brow hairs.  Let them grow.  Just think, in winter you'll have no need for a scarf  :D   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy