Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276199 times)

Oldtramp

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1080 on: 20:30:29, 30/03/20 »
A new hazard has emerged in Norwich: speeding drivers, who hurtle along the empty streets at 60 mph.  I am far more frightened of these than of the coronavirus.   More positively 'my' swan is up to 4 eggs and I saw a kingfisher today, right in the heart of the city.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1081 on: 09:12:20, 31/03/20 »
Hopefully nature will benefit from fewer people/dogs roaming the countryside this spring.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1082 on: 11:19:57, 31/03/20 »
A new hazard has emerged in Norwich: speeding drivers, who hurtle along the empty streets at 60 mph.  I am far more frightened of these than of the coronavirus.   

Agree totally on this.

The boy racers are out in force around here. Turbos screaming and exhausts backfiring all time of day and night.
There is a motor bike roaring around the streets at all hours clearly try to outdo the souped up bangers. Never been enough police to cover Lincolnshire in the last ten years so no chance of getting these folks stopped.

Too little, too late, too bad......

mountaingal

« Reply #1083 on: 11:36:25, 31/03/20 »
I'm walking everyday from my door step with a few variations and extensions. Since I have nobody to chat with, I try to do mindful walking, listening to the wind and birds... ::)   I hear lots of birds these days. Wish I could identify more birds. Yesterday, I was walking in the nearby wood and heard an obvious sound of a woodpecker. While I often see Green Woodpeckers outside the wood and knocking sound of Woodpeckers in the wood, I'd never seen a Great Spotted Woodpecker. I persevered and rewarded with the sight of one with black, white and red on the tree. Amazing to see such a little beak high up on the tree making such a big noise travelling through the wood. It made my day O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1084 on: 11:42:36, 31/03/20 »
Woodpecker amongst my favourite bird sounds. Also melodious blackbirds as the light begins to fade, woodpigeons cooing in the beech trees, a blackcap singing it's heart out in some hawthorn scrub, skylarks trilling away on Hampsfell, the first owl of the night from the woods....

Miss the Orkney greylag geese, curlews and lapwings though - can't have everything.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1085 on: 12:33:38, 31/03/20 »
Woodpecker amongst my favourite bird sounds. Also melodious blackbirds as the light begins to fade, woodpigeons cooing in the beech trees, a blackcap singing it's heart out in some hawthorn scrub, skylarks trilling away on Hampsfell, the first owl of the night from the woods....

Miss the Orkney greylag geese, curlews and lapwings though - can't have everything.
Can't hear any of that at present for flamin' rooks and jackdaws!  Dawn 'til dusk.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1086 on: 12:48:37, 31/03/20 »
We used to go for a walk 2 or 3 times during the week and usually give the weekends a miss to avoid the grockles.  Now we are locked down, we try to get out every day for a bash round the lanes.  These walks are not necessarily as long as our previous trips but they are more frequent.  As a result, I have noticed we do not seem to be blowing as much going uphill and the trips are getting slowly longer so I assume we are actually getting fitter.  Not something I would have predicted beforehand.  Also, no planning involved, just open the doors and go.  That said, I am beginning to miss the moors and the coast.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1087 on: 18:18:20, 01/04/20 »
Last two days I have been walking between my back door and my shed.
I have nearly cleared it out.
Done my 10,000 steps though.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1088 on: 23:11:27, 01/04/20 »
Out for a walk with my daughter around the local Rows and lanes this evening. ( She's living at home just now)  Not done my sore calf any good though.  A few days of no walking for me I think.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1089 on: 12:18:54, 02/04/20 »
Now that the fields are dry, we did a figure of eight using the Two Moors Way and other paths to crisscross the village and surrounding countryside.  Mrs N remarked it was quite like old times in Cumbria, trotting through a succession of sheep's toilets - must be all that fresh grass but there were some mucky bums about.  Before we set off, I had a rummage through the ski kit box and found a set of silk liners to wear to deal with all the gates.
Solvitur Ambulando

mountaingal

« Reply #1090 on: 17:57:49, 02/04/20 »
today, I went in search of bluebells and lambs on my 6 miles or so walk from home. I saw lots of sheep but no lamb. I saw bluebells as I knew where they are. (posted in bluebell thread). Entering the golf course after the sheep field, I didn't see a single person, and had the entire golf course all to myself....imagining that's my land... ::)  Bonus of Covid 19. Golfers are not allowed but walkers are. I didn't have to dodge the usual flying ball :o

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1091 on: 18:58:16, 02/04/20 »
Entering the golf course after the sheep field, I didn't see a single person, and had the entire golf course all to myself....imagining that's my land... ::)  Bonus of Covid 19. Golfers are not allowed but walkers are. I didn't have to dodge the usual flying ball :o
Build a house or 300 on it.
I always think that golf courses are a waste of good building land.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1092 on: 15:58:33, 03/04/20 »
Another bimble round the lanes today as my knee was a bit sore from the rough ground yesterday.  We tried the walk we did recently for the first time as the lock down had reduced the traffic to the point where it was safe but we might not be doing it again.  The traffic is building up after the initial lull and it was fairly flying along.  The cars and vans were bad enough but nearly being blown through the hedge by a couple of feed lorries was unpleasant.  We went single file but the lorries did not lift off at all and we got covered in dust
Dartmoor was looking a bit dreich under the clouds but Exmoor was clear as crystal.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1093 on: 16:10:17, 03/04/20 »
Clear roads, faster average speeds.
I like roads where I can see around corners and curves.
But then I live in Cornwall, where pedestrians walk with their backs to the traffic.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1094 on: 16:22:38, 03/04/20 »
Clear roads, faster average speeds.
I like roads where I can see around corners and curves.
But then I live in Cornwall, where pedestrians walk with their backs to the traffic.
Round here it does not really matter which side I walk, most of the lanes are only one car wide so my back will be towards half the traffic anyway.  I go for the side that gives me the best chance of being seen.  If there is room for traffic in both directions at the same time, the road is treated as a motorway, with speeds to match, and are best avoided in normal circumstances.  For a while these roads were deserted as they are only used by local traffic but today it seemed everyone thought they were the only thing moving and seemed to be going even faster.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy