Author Topic: Anything about hiking that you can't or won't master?  (Read 1104 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Anything about hiking that you can't or won't master?
« Reply #15 on: 10:24:24, 07/09/20 »
Being respectful of 'the rightful' way as expected of a Rights of Way and those, who expect it it of me. That respect has not been earned, the corruption that drives my disrespect gives me much to seek, that is something worth mastering.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:41:45, 07/09/20 »
Any thing that I don't need to master I am petty unlikely to put effort into learning just for the heck of it.  Life is too short.  Any thing that could save my skin or make hiking simpler, more fun and I'm right on it.  So I think the fundamental answer from me is no, there is not anything I can't or won't master, but others may have different needs from hiking and therefore different skill sets. O0

PatrickJ

« Reply #17 on: 20:34:31, 07/09/20 »
I think for me it's going to be wild camping.  I like the idea of it but now I'm in my forties I just can't see me getting into it.  My kids are young and at the moment I can't get them into walking / hiking so whole weekend walks are not really an option anyway.
« Last Edit: 20:53:22, 07/09/20 by PatrickJ »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:36:12, 07/09/20 »
I appreciate that you have family commitments, and that wild camping is not for everyone, but don't let age be a barrier, Patrick.

Richard (age 59)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:52:20, 07/09/20 »
I have camped on sites and wild in the past. I can’t really see me doing this again. Long term injuries would make camping uncomfortable and it would be difficult getting in and out of the tent. Also, at the moment I would struggle to walk significant distances on consecutive days. I need my Achilles’ tendon to rest and my back is in one of its painful phases.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:27:24, 07/09/20 »
Whereas I would love to wild camp but can’t justify forking out for a backpacking tent in case I don’t like it/get scared/need toilet  ;D

Thedogsmother

« Reply #21 on: 22:10:18, 07/09/20 »
Walking with more than one pole. My coordination just isn't good enough and I don't think it ever will be!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:42:12, 08/09/20 »
I appreciate that you have family commitments, and that wild camping is not for everyone, but don't let age be a barrier, Patrick.

Richard (age 59)

I was 50 when I did my first wild camp. My regret is that I didn't discover it before.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:44:04, 08/09/20 »
I think for me it's going to be wild camping.  I like the idea of it but now I'm in my forties I just can't see me getting into it.  My kids are young and at the moment I can't get them into walking / hiking so whole weekend walks are not really an option anyway.

I was 46 when I did my first solo wild camp (and I am 52 now)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:43:36, 08/09/20 »
Apparently I can't/won't master the art of stepping out of the door for a walk at the moment.
this gas been forced on me recently. Almost the end if the holiday season though.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy