Author Topic: Waterproof trousers  (Read 4847 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Waterproof trousers
« on: 01:58:15, 14/04/06 »
I've got a pair of over trousers in my rucksack, but they are a real pain to use. By the time you've decided it's raining hard enough to put them on, emptied your rucksack trying to find them, and struggled for 5 minutes putting them on - you're already soaking wet.

Are there any waterproof walking trousers that are confortable enough to be worn all the time?

batfink21

Re: Waterproof trousers
« Reply #1 on: 12:25:23, 24/05/06 »

I wore my North Face 'Strider' waterproof over trousers with thermals underneath for two solid days of cold/dry weather after I soaked my walking trousers walking to the pub in the rain one night and couldnt get them dry!

They weren't as comfortable and had a tendency to slip down over my hips all the time but as an emergency measure they were fine.

I've also changed into them at the end of a walk and worn them driving home after particular muddy walks across Kinder Scout (and got some funny looks in petrol stations)

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 04:03:10, 31/07/06 »
you wont go far wrong with Berghaus paclite trousers.  Goretx pants that are totally waterproof and breathable (if you look after them), weigh under 200gm and have a side zip to the hip.  This means that you can get them on even if covered in [censored] and you will have no trouble stashing them in a side pocket/stretch pocket.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:25:41, 17/09/06 »
In reply to Chris the Administrator's original query, I've been searching websites today for new waterproof trousers, during which I recall one company is offering some Craghoppers trousers that are, allegedly, waterproof too. Maybe they are the answer to what he is looking for?
I binned my once-waterproof, once-breathable overtrousers 3 days ago after a typical wet Snowdonia day, when I found that underneath them my walking trousers were soaked.  My real gripe is this: I went in 6 shops in Betws-y-Coed and one in Conwy, to find I could buy any colour overtrousers I wanted so long as they were black.  OK, a few were dark grey, too.  Why only black?  I don't want to go up the hills looking like a motorcyclist!  My personal taste is for earthy colours that blend in, like brown, olive and green, and that is why I've been looking on the web, but all I can find is cheapo green ones, that I assume won't last long. Also you can't tell how heavy they are, not like going in a store and actually handling them.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:07:37, 30/09/06 »
Following my gripe about the apparent non-availability of waterproof overtrousers in any colour other than black, I am happy to report that today I went into a "family camping and backpacking centre" next to a garden centre on the A1057 between St Albans and Hatfield, where I found a rail full of overtrousers that were olive-green coloured, light weight, claim to be breathable, elasticated & adjustable waist, knee-length zips, adjustable ankles and only £12.99.  OK, so they might only last me a couple of years, but at that price who cares?  I'll need to have bought eight pairs before I've spent the three-figures that some that I've seen cost.  I was so pleased with finding them that I went next door and bought a nice plant to celebrate!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy