Author Topic: Hello from West Sussex  (Read 977 times)

Hello from West Sussex
« on: 13:54:04, 03/04/20 »
Hello; I've been going Long distance paths for just over a year. Recently doing a lot more due to no cycling in groups.

I'm cooped up at home as you all are so was planning a solo bivi down the Mid Sussex Link this weekend. But as the polis are likely to be out enforcing I thought I'd stick out like a sore thumb with a rucksack containing a sleeping bag / mat so that will have to wait.

Having completed the High Weald, Sussex Ouse and West Sussex literary trails I think the Sussex Border path is next (in sections like the HWLT which took 5 days spread over a year!) so will be walking to Gatwick tomorrow
« Last Edit: 13:57:45, 03/04/20 by 33027 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from West Sussex
« Reply #1 on: 14:36:36, 03/04/20 »
Hello from Portsmouth. I've hiked the High Weald Trail, really good I thought, especially the section from Horsemonden to Tenterden, only because I knew this area well as a child. Hiking it as an adult bought back some good memories, especially of Cranbrook.

A tip about the Sussex border path, unless you are a person who must walk every inch of a route, my suggestion is don't bother with Thorney Island, boring, start or finish at Emsworth.

I too Bivi, I like it for stealth camping, in my case when I come out of a pub I really don't want to walk too far in order to sleep.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:05:36, 03/04/20 »
Welcome from Hove     :)     

A tip about the Sussex border path, unless you are a person who must walk every inch of a route, my suggestion is don't bother with Thorney Island, boring, start or finish at Emsworth.

Sorry to disagree with GWM but I enjoyed walking Thorney Island!   :)   I thought it was beautiful and serene, with a feeling of remoteness

« Reply #3 on: 18:29:25, 03/04/20 »
I did the last couple of sections of the Monarchs Way this year; found the Chichester to Amberley section rather underwhelming, so much of it is in woodland even though you almost reach the SDW. The bit from Amberley to Shoreham was however sublime! I just went straight from Steyning Bostal to the coast the trudge through the streets of Brighton and along the coast to Shoreham Harbour (nice though it is especially by bike) didn't appeal

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:15:24, 03/04/20 »
You may well be right but I obviously can't see it.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy