Author Topic: Pointless Stiles, Gates and Finger Posts or Unusual / Interesting Landmarks  (Read 36929 times)

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Think this may have been done before but can't find the thread. The guys n girls that maintain the paths n trails that we all enjoy walking...........but where have you walked and seen Stiles, gates and finger posts that serve no point or unusual / interesting landmarks.

Just for a bit of fun........

These are along the section of the Yorkshire Wolds Way from Sherburn to Filey.

There is no other way to walk  ???

« Last Edit: 15:34:56, 11/02/14 by C2C09 Shaun »
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

Mel

• Veteran Member
Ahhh, you found another curly bench  :)   There's 6 of them altogether  O0

There's lots of quirky things to find on and near the YWW  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
All I'll say is this is somewhere on the YWW way too ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
Gate-maze near Wentbridge....

angry climber

• Account Closed
I can't find it on the Internet but there are two signs in Dublin that's says it all.

The first on the front says "one way" and on the back it says "your going the wrong way"

The other is "your going this way" and on the back " you have been there already"

Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
All I'll say is this is somewhere on the YWW way too ...

I'll keep an eye out for it and see if I can duplicate your photo  :)
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Here's a pointless ladder style spotted on my Ridgeway walk:

Where there's a will ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member

Does look like there used to be a bit of fence on the right which may have fallen into the stream who knows
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Bohemian Brummie

They must have planned to partition this field at some point by building the start of a stile, but then abandoned the idea.  :P

Britain http://goo.gl/vLmtw0 Midlands http://goo.gl/xq3TDW
2013 Walks 48 - Miles 1016.0
2014 Walks 25 - Miles 0648.0 -16.7M (05:37H) +35.7M (12:22H)

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
On today's walk saw this pointless stile

wiki2

anyone know the name of this type of gate?

Jac

• Veteran Member
if I remember my I-Spy book correctly it's a'Sqeeze Stile'
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

midnight rambler

There's an old stile that's been gradually rotting away in the middle of a field at South Heath (near Great Missenden) for at least 15 years to my knowledge. I suppose nobody could be bothered to remove it, and it isn't in the way.

Mick wmexile

Please keep fingers crossed for me, I've not put photos on this forum before so hoping this comes through. About 5/ 6 weeks ago walking in area between Cat n Fiddle and Teggs Nose I came across this fingerpost (SJ 9597 7531) that made me smile. Only had mobile with me so hope its clear enough, or even there  :o
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Lots of these anomalous styles about, they exist where there was once a field margin to cross. Hedges die out, post and wire replace them, then they get knocked down. The loss of our small dairy herds have meant that many larger areas of purely arable cultivation, without the need for stock proof fields boundaries. This has increased the hidden loss of hedgerows, which I am afraid is aided by the RSPB's attitude to hedge management. Well maintained thorn hedges are cheap stock proof field margins, but for a period of their life they need to be cut in the spring, banned by RSPB, weed species and overgrown thorn hedge plants soon get knocked out by cattle, leaving an isolated stile in the stealthily enlarged field.

Course the other cause is blind bureaucracy feeding an unquestioning factor, 'who' today, with targets to meet, will question a docket that says put up a stile where it is not needed. A fence line is on a map somewhere in town hall, overweight buttocks in swivel chair clicks a print command. One more sturdy decision towards early retirement.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy