Author Topic: Hilleberg Saivo vs Alpkit Kangri vs Alpkit Zhota  (Read 2186 times)

TravelsOfTheSolo

Hello all,

I wanted to gauge people's opinions on which tent I should get out of the following three;
Hilleberg Saivo / Alpkit Kangri / Alpkit Zhota

I will be using the tent solo wildcamping and want it "bombproof". I am 6'5' tall, of big build and like a bit of room to move about inside. I have had a Hilleberg Staika in the past, but that was far too small for me. I don't mind hauling the extra tent weight, if it delivers.

What would be your recommendations? Which would you say is the strongest?

Many thanks.  

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Hilleberg Saivo vs Alpkit Kangri vs Alpkit Zhota
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:10, 12/05/19 »
I very much doubt Alpkit can touch Hilleberg for quality, longevity and bombproofness.

TravelsOfTheSolo

« Reply #2 on: 19:37:21, 12/05/19 »
I was thinking the same to be honest, but thought I'd double check as the Alpkit is half the price, a tad taller, has a little window on the front porch door and the front door can be opened from the top.....just a couple of things that I really liked, but the "bombproof'ness" is key for me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:54:47, 12/05/19 »
There's a lightly used Hilleberg Tarra for sale for £400 on Facebook here in Orkney.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/582616421854506/permalink/2299955616787236/?sale_post_id=2299955616787236

PS - welcome to the forum.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:06:34, 12/05/19 »
I very much doubt Alpkit can touch Hilleberg for quality, longevity and bombproofness.
That, Sir, is a prime example of conjecture.
Alpkit, in general, seems to be a well respected company, with great customer service, from my own personal experience. They give me no reason to doubt their quality or longevity. I have no personal experience of their bombproofness.

My next upgrade will be to their new one person tent. Which if it is as good as their sleeping mats and their hunka bivi, will make it an extremely good buy indeed.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:09:02, 12/05/19 »
My next upgrade will be to their new one person tent.

Would that be the 'Soloist'?

TravelsOfTheSolo

« Reply #6 on: 21:11:23, 12/05/19 »
Hi,

Many thanks for the link, the Tarra looks like an incredibly strong tent. My only reservation would be size. From the pictures, it looks quite spacious inside, certainly larger than my old Staika. However checking the Hilleberg site, the internal dimensions show the Tarra and Staika as exactly the same? What are your thoughts, would I have much room being the size I am?

P.s. Thanks for the kind welcome.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:13:57, 12/05/19 »

Would that be the 'Soloist'?
Yep. In the blurb it seems quite versatile. When I decide to allow some daylight into the wallet and cause a plague of moths then I will pop into the shop to see it for real. No final decision until then. I'm never in a great rush to spend money. (Northern  genes :D )
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:24:42, 12/05/19 »
Hi,

Many thanks for the link, the Tarra looks like an incredibly strong tent. My only reservation would be size. From the pictures, it looks quite spacious inside, certainly larger than my old Staika. However checking the Hilleberg site, the internal dimensions show the Tarra and Staika as exactly the same? What are your thoughts, would I have much room being the size I am?

P.s. Thanks for the kind welcome.

It's not my tent that is for sale, and I have never seen a Tarra in the flesh.

From their website, the inner length is 210cm (7' in Imperial units), and the end walls of the inner are vertical, so it is all useable length.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:25:55, 12/05/19 »
Yep. In the blurb it seems quite versatile. When I decide to allow some daylight into the wallet and cause a plague of moths then I will pop into the shop to see it for real. No final decision until then. I'm never in a great rush to spend money. (Northern  genes :D )

Looks interesting. Might be tempted myself next year, as my current tent for solo wild camping weighs 2.2kg. They don't say much about the ventilation arrangements on the website.

(I do fancy the Wild Country Helm 1 though)

TravelsOfTheSolo

« Reply #10 on: 21:29:43, 12/05/19 »

It's not my tent that is for sale, and I have never seen a Tarra in the flesh.

From their website, the inner length is 210cm (7' in Imperial units), and the end walls of the inner are vertical, so it is all useable length.

I think I'll take the plunge and text him in the morning. Thanks again for the link.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:33:05, 12/05/19 »
A pleasure. The Tarra looks like a steal at £400.  :)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:43:58, 13/05/19 »
That, Sir, is a prime example of conjecture.
Alpkit, in general, seems to be a well respected company, with great customer service, from my own personal experience. They give me no reason to doubt their quality or longevity. I have no personal experience of their bombproofness.

My next upgrade will be to their new one person tent. Which if it is as good as their sleeping mats and their hunka bivi, will make it an extremely good buy indeed.

I'm not saying that they're terrible. Hilleberg are just famous for making very high quality, expensive tents trusted by expeditions the world over.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy