Author Topic: Coping with a medication need when hiking.  (Read 605 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Coping with a medication need when hiking.
« on: 14:42:41, 04/10/19 »
I only have one medical problem to deal with when I'm hiking and that is a Hiatus Hernia, (diagnosed about 10 years ago) which can be problematic for me when sleeping in a tent. When I lie down I have to be on my left hip to minimise the burning sensation as the gastric acid in my stomach seeps into the lower areas of my esophagus. The product which seems to be advertised most is Gaviscon which is more than £9 for 600ml, I buy Peptac liquid from Boots £3.61 for 500ml which works just as well for me.

When I'm hiking I use tablets and I keep trying this and that but have never found the tablet that works specifically well for me, so I just carry a small plastic container of Peptac, just in case I need a 'top-up' to avoid the discomfort. I've only made one mistake, forgot to wash the container thoroughly out first and the Peptac tasted foul, I mixed in with some shampoo! Ugh!

I've been offered a once a day capsule by my GP but I've always said no because I am not bothered by my problem when I'm up and doing so I work on the principle of why take medication when I don't need it, only take something when I do need it.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Coping with a medication need when hiking.
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:22, 04/10/19 »
 I have the same problem myself.These days I only use Peptac on rare occassions but in the past tried tables and Gaviscon without much success.Its best not to eat after 6pm and try and limit your alcohol intake.H2 blockers such as Zantac work well if taken before a meal.Proton Pump Inhibitors are taken once a day and are effective for around 12 hours.There are side effects to both these drugs so its best to stick to Peptac which is quite safe provided you are not on a low sodium diet.Most supermarkets have their own brand of Peptac which in my experience is just as effective as rip-off Gaviscon.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:02:49, 04/10/19 »
My wife suffers similarly and has Barrett's Oesophagus too, so control of stomach acid is doubly important for her.  She is now tea total too as a result.  She gets her bottles of jollop free on prescription along with her proton pump inhibitors.  However, when travelling, she carries sachets of Gaviscon liquid and Gaviscon tablets in her bag along with her pills .  They can be bought from any High Street chemist and contain an appropriate dose so no need for a measuring cup either.  Granted they are more expensive but they are lighter, more portable and more convenient.  The big bottle travels in her main luggage.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:49:50, 04/10/19 »
Did you mean 'tea total,' or did you mean 'teetotal?' If it's teetotal' I just can't bring myself to try it. I just convince myself that at 74 why should I even worry about it!

I don't like the habit but chewing gum works for me as well. Once I've eaten a meal I sneak off and chew some gum, any immediate symptoms quickly disappear, the same after drinking alcohol, I then dispose of it in the bin.

When I was first diagnosed my consultant told me that Hiatus Hernia sufferers affect those who are over mostly over 50 and young people who do weightlifting or overdo it in the gym.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:12:27, 04/10/19 »
No she drinks coffee too and the odd squash but the doc said to avoid alcohol.  Barrett’s can turn nasty and she hates the endoscope so she obeys Dr’s oreders
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy