Author Topic: North wales Black friday non starter  (Read 3834 times)

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
North wales Black friday non starter
« on: 18:15:30, 30/11/19 »
I've had the week off and been itching to get out and do SOMETHING... anything! as long as it didn't involve work or fixing cars  ::) . A couple of cool walks with Daisy (in profile pic) highlighted the fact that I have fleeces/similar thickness coats and I have a thick down jacket for real cold, but I don't have anything in between and as "black friday" was approaching, that was all the excuse I needed for a couple of nights away  O0  I did my shopping, packed the car and I was on my way to Capel Curig! Hoping to beat rush hour around Manchester but still arrive fairly late because the rain was due to stop around 5 pm..... I beat the rain but not the traffic and the 4 hour journey took 6  :-[

It's been several years since I had a jolly like this to Snowdonia but the feeling of "belonging", or at least acceptance, flooded back and I felt a sense of pride wash over me that I know the area almost as well as I do the hope valley  :)  My plans changed quickly though as I found the campsite empty and then found out why - it was waterlogged! Every step squelched as I had a quick wander around and decided to join the "van lifers" out of town and sleep in the car instead! Fortunately I have a landrover and all of the back seats fold down flat, giving an ideal platform for my bed  8)  The temperature was dropping slowly and as I cooked my evening meal (steak fajitas again) it hovered just above freezing.

I'd had a bit of a quandary about sleeping bags when I packed my gear; one was good down to about 3 degrees (about the highest overnight temp forecast) and the other is ok down to minus 25  :o  which I felt may be way too warm  :-\  I opted for the latter and I'm pleased I did! It got pretty cool overnight, I'm not sure how cool but after breakfast the car said minus 1.

This little fella payed a visit, sadly I didn't have anything much to share;

And off I went on my shopping trip  ::)  Well, a bit of a fail really - no bargains to be had and nothing that really caught my eye, Cotswolds have 20% off everything except electronics but, being a bit of a gear-tart, I don't think I need anything else. When I'd finished looking, I decided it was a bit too late to set out on a walk and ended up twiddling my thumbs more or less until teatime.

The campsite was now frozen and a few had braved it but, as I'd found quite a quiet spot last night, I decided to take the easy way out again and sleep in the car. Tonight's meal was a camping favorite of mine as I can do it with one hob and one pan - bacon, beans and tinned baby potatoes  :coolsmiley:  That sorted, I spent a couple of hours absent mindedly pouring over the map and not getting anywhere before the draw of my down bag proved too much... at not far after 8pm it was already minus 1c and I was starting to feel it!

Only ravens for visitors in the morning, I left them my unused bacon as I doubted it'd be any good when I got home. I was sadly surprised at the rubbish left in the layby - a duvet that even the most desperate would have avoided and a full size range cooker for some reason!! Half way between plas y brenin and pen y pass  ??? 

Again, it was cold, even in the sun;

But the views were a sight to behold  O0

I turned the car around and as I set off I could see several ravens and no bacon ;D  I went back into town intending to have a plod across towards Moel Siabod but ended up making excuses and heading home  :-[  my get up and go seems to have got up and gone  ::)  if anyone sees it, please send it back!

I've always thought the area must be beautiful at Christmas and, having seen all the trees, grass and walls white with frost this morning - I really would like to spend part of Chrismas over there sometime.

Oddly enough, although nothing really went to plan, I've had a nice time and I'm already plotting to return soon - with a plan of where to walk this time though so I can just crack on rather than making excuses.
« Last Edit: 18:22:28, 30/11/19 by Sleepy »

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: North wales Black friday non starter
« Reply #1 on: 19:01:30, 30/11/19 »
As my mum used to say  A change is as good as a rest.

Sometimes it's enough just to get away for a change of scenery. I really should follow her advice
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:13:26, 30/11/19 »
As my mum used to say  A change is as good as a rest.

Sometimes it's enough just to get away for a change of scenery. I really should follow her advice

Go for it  O0  I certainly feel better, tired but somehow kind of "fulfilled"

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:50:47, 30/11/19 »
A walk that wasn't a walk, though I enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting. Nice little bullfinch! It's the sort of adventurous outing I used to enjoy - but not in those temperatures!

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:16:36, 01/12/19 »
A walk that wasn't a walk, though I enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting. Nice little bullfinch! It's the sort of adventurous outing I used to enjoy - but not in those temperatures!

Thankyou  O0  I do feel the cold, especially as I hate wearing close-fitting base layers but I'm always keen to get away on adventures - buying suitable gear and then seeing it work (or sometimes not) is all part of the attraction for me

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:46:12, 01/12/19 »
Brass Monkeys here in Dyffryn, and i did go for a walk towards Cwm Natcol this afternoon, but it was bitterly cold.
The walk is only six miles in length, from my front door, but there was one heck of a frost this morning, and as it gets dark early, only a quiet jaunt for me.

You certainly know its out of season, as i never saw a single person the entire walk, not even a local farmer.

The Rhinogs are usually quiet, but it was only me and a few brave and cold looking birds flying in the Harlech direction.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:47:39, 01/12/19 »
As you say, probably worth it just for the views alone. That last shot is a beauty. :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:42:53, 02/12/19 »
................... Nice little bullfinch!

Sorry to be pedantic - I looked but couldn't spot a bullfinch - he's a stonechat. I bet his beak was chattering in those temperatures.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:06:23, 02/12/19 »
Jac, you had me reaching for my dusty bird book, and I have to concede that you are correct.
In my defence, I haven't seen a bullfinch for a number of years and I don't think I've ever seen a male stonechat. You must admit, they both look very similar!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:31:48, 02/12/19 »
Jac, you had me reaching for my dusty bird book, and I have to concede that you are correct.
In my defence, I haven't seen a bullfinch for a number of years and I don't think I've ever seen a male stonechat. You must admit, they both look very similar!

Old country saying 'When you see a bullfinch it's going to snow'

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:58:17, 02/12/19 »
I wouldn't have known the difference  :-\  it's something I should work on!

I would have loved to see a quick flurry of snow though, but the sunshine was equally gratefully received  ;)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:43:12, 02/12/19 »
We occasionally see bull finches in the garden and surrounding countryside. The best sighting was about half a dozen males and a few females in the same tree. One of the males was much brighter in colour than the others, so we surmised that it must be a breeding pair and their soon to depart brood. We have never had bullfinch sightings followed by snow, but did once see them when snow was already several feet deep.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:24:03, 03/12/19 »
Funnily enough, I spotted two male bullfinches a few days ago while I was out walking. No sign of any snow yet though! :D

Nice pics sleepy O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:50:38, 05/12/19 »
Funnily enough, I spotted two male bullfinches a few days ago while I was out walking. No sign of any snow yet though! :D

Nice pics sleepy O0

:)  thankyou, I can't claim to be much of a photographer really but hopefully there'll be more in a week or so  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy