Author Topic: boots vs trail shoes  (Read 4783 times)

dustylee

boots vs trail shoes
« on: 02:26:33, 15/02/15 »
I am planning on walking both the Wicklow Way & the Dingle Way in June to July & am having trouble finding hiking boots that are really comfortable.  I have walked several parts of the Camino de Santiago in Keen Trail shoes without trouble & they are comfortable, so I am wondering whether I really need ankle-high boots or if trail shoes with good traction (& waterproof) will be enough.

Stephen Mac

Re: boots vs trail shoes
« Reply #1 on: 17:17:14, 15/02/15 »
Hi there. trail shoes would probably be fine but expect to have to cross plenty areas of bog with wet untracked ground. Plenty of changes of sock would be a good idea.

dustylee

« Reply #2 on: 01:51:34, 16/02/15 »
Thanks.   :) I will certainly have gators & everything water-proofed, but I know how important comfortable shoes are.  I have had some pretty horrible blisters on prior walking trips.   :-[

hikeview

« Reply #3 on: 09:33:38, 17/02/15 »
Dusty

Trail shoes will be fine for the Wicklow Way, much of the boggy sections have boardwalks to prevent erosion, the only bit where you could get wet are the sections through fields, a very wet track above Tinahely, and around the side of Djouce, almost everything else is on road, forestry road and sand/rock track. I have a description of the terrain on the following:

http://www.hikeview.co.uk/Ireland/WicklowPage.html

Let me know if you want some company at the Marlay Park end, I'm always happy for an excuse to bring the dog on the Wicklow Way.

HV

cbr6fs

« Reply #4 on: 09:58:00, 17/02/15 »
There can be a bit of confusion over terminology, do you mean trail shoes as in shoes that look and feel like cut down hiking boots, or do you mean trail runners which tend to look more like trainers/running shoes?

hikeview

« Reply #5 on: 10:33:32, 17/02/15 »
Fair point, I spotted that too, I intended my reply to cover both (having used both on the Wicklow Way).

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:38:07, 17/02/15 »
I walked for 12 days in trail shoes, they were great until it rained, had a bog or stream to cross, very easy to get wet feet! Also in mountains beware of cracking your ankle bones against rocks, very painful! Although I liked them I've gone back to leather boots because for me they are still the best all rounders. I could see myself using trail shoes again but would like it to be dry underfoot at all times! For me hiking shoes seem to have have thick stiff soles, a deep cut sole grip pattern like boots, are not so bendy as other trainer type shoes and usually have a wide band of rubbery type material (because we tend to kick stones as we walk) around the toes part of the shoe. My trail running shoes for example are running shoes with a deep tread cut, (I still fall over in the mud) a semi to stiff sole (helps when landing on tree stumps, etc) and they do not have a wide band of rubbery stuff (I dont tend to kick stones when I run just tree roots maybe) around the toes area. From experience I take the view now that like so many things in life there is also a load of marketing nonsense out there as to what separates one type of shoe from another. If I was to be a 'pure consumer', they would having me buying a separate pair of shoes for every type of weather, for every temperature range and for every type of terrain. For trail and hiking shoes my policy is to buy cheap but good. My trail shoes (Adidas, £35 and are great) are always thick with mud (why buy bright yellow, blue and orange ones, I only wear muddy ones!) whilst my trail shoes (not keen on all these furry materials either) they tend to be in the cupboard for months on end, so for me whats the point of spending £100 when I can buy a 'good' pair for about £40?

cbr6fs

« Reply #7 on: 11:33:59, 17/02/15 »
Personally i don't see the point in trail shoes.
They tend to have all the negatives of hiking boots with no real advantages either.

I've tried some of the brashers and north face trail shoes and found them to be VERY heavy, not waterproof but also take days to dry, don't breath well and offered very poor traction and grip.

We've hacked out the trail runners v boots discussion many times here, there area couple of recent threads were both sides put forward their opinions and experiences, so it's well worth searching and reading up.

I've hiked a fair bit around Eire and in my experience wet feet are an absolute certainty, i could have been wearing 4 season plastic boots and still the water would have found it's way in.

If you agree then it makes more sense to think about how quickly your feet and shoes can dry rather than worrying about getting them wet.
With traditional hiking boots and hiking shoes they take literally days even in a airing cupboard, so once your feet are wet there is absolutely no chance your feet will dry during your trip.

With trail runners it's best to go with the more open mesh type that don't have waterproof linings, these dry very very quickly. as they breath extremely well.
In my experience after hiking through a river crossing 3 hours and a change of socks later my feet were dry.

So it really comes down to if you believe you can keep your feet dry the entire trip.
If you can't then my advice is to go for some non lined trail runners, try on a few makes but try and stick to good brands, the most popular tend to be Inov8 and Salomon.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:15:49, 17/02/15 »
Dear cbr6fs, I basically agree with everything you have written. I hate wet feet, my only way of minimizing the problem is when it happens, fresh dry socks and new boot liners, I always carry a pair of extra Sorbothanes with me. As you say boots and shoes take a while to dry but a bit less chance I think, of wet feet with a boot.

cbr6fs

« Reply #9 on: 12:39:24, 17/02/15 »
Dear cbr6fs, I basically agree with everything you have written.

I think that's a first  :P

;D

I hate wet feet, my only way of minimizing the problem is when it happens, fresh dry socks and new boot liners, I always carry a pair of extra Sorbothanes with me. As you say boots and shoes take a while to dry but a bit less chance I think, of wet feet with a boot.

It's always a tough balance.
If i knew 100% i could keep my feet dry then i'd probably go for lined trail runners rather than the open mesh style i tend to use.

I have found that when i'm on a mission to keep my feet dry, i tend to hop around like a fairy, not particularly attractive look for a 90kg bloke  ;D ;D

In all seriousness i do tend to hop around and funnily enough fall over more when trying to keep my feet dry, as my mind is set on keeping away from puddles rather than the optimum position for grip.
So i tend to not worry about wet feet any more, takes a bit to dial that mentality into your noggin but after you do it makes hikes a lot more enjoyable as i'm able to take in the views rather than study each foot placement.

If it's likely to rain all day i'll throw on a pair of sealskinz, tend to find that the motion of walking tends to squeeze out most of the moisture inside the shoe, heat from my feet tends to clear out the bit that's left.
After a hour or two after it's stopped raining i'll swap out my sealskinz for my normal socks as the shoes tend to be nearly dry by then.

Works for me

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:22:10, 17/02/15 »
I too work on the principle that what works for me is the best way forward. The weakness of this approach is, that for me, it tends to costs more money as I make mistakes (in reality it wasn't the best way) and then I have to buy again.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:15:40, 17/02/15 »
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=29033.0

Its a long thread

Make your decision on whats right for you and what you feel comfortable and secure in  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:11:30, 18/02/15 »
Perhaps the best choice would be low boots based on trail running shoes, and with a Goretex membrane - which are in the Inov-8 range.

Rajboy

« Reply #13 on: 08:52:17, 18/02/15 »
That's a good suggestion, Altirando as I have a pair of Inov8  Roclite 286 GTX's for sale. Size 9.5.
Brand New and advertised at the mo'.
Anyone interested?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy