Author Topic: LDW Recommendations  (Read 3006 times)

Little Foot

LDW Recommendations
« on: 15:23:56, 01/02/20 »
Hi all. I'm in the process of doing the YWW but cheating, in that I'm doing various stages at various times. This is partly due to the small amount of daylight hours, the weather not being appropriate, having a younger one with me, and being a novice at this kind of thing. I work Sundays too, so barring the school holidays, Saturdays (when the lad isn't with his dad) are the only days for it.

Anyway, I plan on doing more days in the Feb school holiday, and in March when I have weekends off work, so hopefully I can cross the YWW off my list at the end of March and move onto something else.

Ideally I'd like to think about doing a path over the course of a few days, camping out. I'd be going around the end of May. I would like an area that has varied scenery, so in other words, I wouldn't want to trekking three days across moors. I've walked Malham Tarn to Malham, and around Castleton so don't want those areas.

I was thinking of doing a few days of the West Highland Way, or around Cairngorm but I'd worry about getting lost on the latter and it being a bit dull if it has vast areas of moor between the interesting parts. Some where that had a good history and was interesting on that score would be good.

I will be using public transport and I am situated in East Yorkshire, but would consider most places I can get to by public transport. I'd prefer the pace to be fairly easy to moderate. Some Hills to see good scenery would be nice, but nothing too hard that I'll need mountain rescue.  ;D

Any one have an ideas?

Butchersboy

Re: LDW Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 15:30:51, 01/02/20 »
The Cleveland Way is in your neck of the woods  O0

Little Foot

« Reply #2 on: 16:46:55, 01/02/20 »
The Cleveland Way is in your neck of the woods  O0

That might be an idea as the lad likes sea scenes. Any idea what it is like to camp en-route anyone?

I don't mind travelling out of the county if anyone has any personal prefs.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:08:37, 01/02/20 »
The West Highland Way is good for varied scenery and it isn't too demanding.  The other great advantage is that you can get on and off it easily by bus;  I have been doing it for a while as a series of one and two day walks using public transport.A bit closer to you, the Dales Highway can be done in sections using the Settle Carlisle railway, and it's easy to get to both the beginning and the end by train.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:45:24, 01/02/20 »
That might be an idea as the lad likes sea scenes. Any idea what it is like to camp en-route anyone?

The CW is a great route for variety but it's generally not that easy to find a reasonable secluded pitch, especially on the coastal section. As always on this type of route, there are some pretty good pitches here and there but never at the right time of day as you pass them!.
Our report isn't a lot of help as it was written up as a few notes long after the event, but might be of a little value.

Edit to add:- the WHW in May isn't recommended if if you don't like crowds.

Little Foot

« Reply #5 on: 19:46:32, 01/02/20 »
The West Highland Way is good for varied scenery and it isn't too demanding.  The other great advantage is that you can get on and off it easily by bus;  I have been doing it for a while as a series of one and two day walks using public transport.A bit closer to you, the Dales Highway can be done in sections using the Settle Carlisle railway, and it's easy to get to both the beginning and the end by train.

I've not heard of the Dales Highway, I shall look it up. Thanks for the info.

When I say varied scenery, I can also mean for it to be more interesting. I'm thinking of walks that will have little villages and historic sites and places to visit, so a 12 year old won't get too bored.

Little Foot

« Reply #6 on: 19:48:24, 01/02/20 »
The CW is a great route for variety but it's generally not that easy to find a reasonable secluded pitch, especially on the coastal section. As always on this type of route, there are some pretty good pitches here and there but never at the right time of day as you pass them!.
Our report isn't a lot of help as it was written up as a few notes long after the event, but might be of a little value.

Ok, I'll check that report out. I did think I'd seen something where a guy mentioned about the lack of camping places, but wasn't sure if I was remembering a different walk.

Thanks.  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:42:42, 01/02/20 »
Try Hadrians Wall. West to East. Plenty of Camping all the way along it. And apart from the first day/ two days to Carlisle there are plenty of easy escapes off to public transport.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Florence Lamb

« Reply #8 on: 20:52:56, 01/02/20 »
Plenty of campsites along Cleveland Way though....I guess you’re planning on wild camping?

Little Foot

« Reply #9 on: 22:15:20, 01/02/20 »
Try Hadrians Wall. West to East. Plenty of Camping all the way along it. And apart from the first day/ two days to Carlisle there are plenty of easy escapes off to public transport.

Sounds good. Wouldn't have considered there. Like the idea of scooting off to various places.

Little Foot

« Reply #10 on: 22:17:08, 01/02/20 »
Plenty of campsites along Cleveland Way though....I guess you’re planning on wild camping?

I was planning wild camping if I went to Scotland. I think I'd be a bit nervous doing it England first time, so would prefer sites, for the first trip or few, but depends on how remote we go.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:55:10, 02/02/20 »
I think Jimbob's suggestion of Hadrian's Wall is the best one especially if you have your lad with you. Get him to watch 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves' before you set off and take particular note of the scene on Hadrians Wall where Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman run down the wall to rescue a young boy from the Sheriff's evil men and then take some photos of 'that tree' that the film has made so famous. Everybody else has! It's situated, if walking west to east, just before Housesteads Fort, then take him there as well, my son when a boy was fascinated by the Roman toilets in particular.

There's the Once Brewed pub not too far away with a camping site and bunkhouse just along from it. If you are walking from west to east, there's a path from Hadrians Wall directly to it. Dead easy to wild camp, I've done it, I just slept on the Scottish side of the wall.

When I walked the route last April I came from Carlisle and was lucky to have sunshine every day, I thought that was most unusual.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:42:06, 02/02/20 »
GWM you make me smile, the Scottish side of the wall as you call it is mostly in  Northumberland and in the east nearly 70 miles south of the border. Of course on the West Side, half a mile south of the border at its closest you are in Cumbria and it would be dangerous to cross the Solway into Scotland.  Don't you remember the distance between the wall and Byrness then up to the border fence.

That wall may have been built to protect southerners from Northumbrians. 🤔
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:12:07, 02/02/20 »
That wall may have been built to protect southerners from Northumbrians. 🤔
  IIRC from my visits to the wall, there was more than one.  I think the furthest north was the Antonine Wall from the Firth of Forth to the Firth of Clyde but the Romans eventually decided on Hadrian's Wall as there was nothing worthwhile  beyond there, and it was all too much trouble!  No comment - I wouldn't presume  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:41:49, 02/02/20 »
I know that the northern side of the wall is in England, but the northern side of the wall is on the Scottish side as well even if Scotland is some miles away, but point taken.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy