Author Topic: TR - Cold Moor, the Wainstones & Urra Moor  (Read 4294 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
TR - Cold Moor, the Wainstones & Urra Moor
« on: 21:11:18, 21/01/19 »
A short outing in the Cleveland Hills just before Christmas.

https://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2018/12/cold-moor-wainstones-urra-moor.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Cold Moor, the Wainstones & Urra Moor
« Reply #1 on: 08:16:45, 22/01/19 »
Some nice photos here and in your blog. Dave. I hadn't realised that there were sandtstone outcrops in the North York Moors. I don't know this area well, although I did climb Roseberry Topping as a child - quite a dramatic little hill in your shots.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:23:58, 23/01/19 »
Very nice photos Dave O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 22:45:53, 06/01/20 »
This is my regular walk. In summer it's beautiful. There are quite a few routes from chopgate also a good circular that you can do. I've looked many a time for the stone age carvings on the rocks but never found them. On one walk though when I went a different route I found the woof stone which is near the wainstones it looks more like a wolf than a dog. If you carry on over garfitt gap follow the Cleveland way over to cringle moor you will find the lordstones and a nice cafe.

rambling minster

« Reply #4 on: 12:09:40, 22/01/20 »
really enjoyed your photos, Dave.

They bring back great memories as I walked this as part of the Cleveland Way, my first long distance walk back in 2009

It's a great walk in August/early September when the heather is in bloom - the gentle hum of insects was a constant soundtrack to my walk along the ridge. Also saw my first ever slow worm on this stretch

Z3man

« Reply #5 on: 20:38:01, 07/03/20 »
I walk these routes on a regular basis.

Going from Clay bank over to Carlton bank via the Wainstones gives you four decent size hills to go up and down, it is the best walk in our area. It gives you a very good workout and is the perfect training ground for doing the mountains in the Lake District.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #6 on: 17:11:17, 22/05/20 »
I've just completed this walk this week. I was surprised that I did not ache or pull a muscle as it's a good workout. You could do the route starting clay bank round or village hall.  There was available spaces at Clay bank. I parked village hall. Not many walkers out and about just at wainstones area. Plenty of room for social distancing  O0 .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy