Author Topic: West Highland Way  (Read 10820 times)

Sevenup

Re: West Highland Way
« Reply #45 on: 20:56:22, 16/03/20 »
That’s a fair point

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 21:33:49, 16/03/20 »
Because of the virus. If it gets bad I think some might close for a bit (and also the issue of travelling by train from London). I realise there are more important things, but hiking might be one of the last things to do (if it doesn't involve travelling).

Mystic Mel says it'll be all over and done with by June.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 07:28:11, 17/03/20 »

Mystic Mel says it'll be all over and done with by June.

I do hope so, I've a flight booked for the end of July. Fingers crossed SAS don't go bust before then.

Vincent82

« Reply #48 on: 10:08:37, 27/03/20 »
Where are you going Owen? It is a hiking trip?

I've received emails from hostels saying they're closing for now. I read on this forum that YHA is closed until 31 July.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 10:17:31, 27/03/20 »
I was going to walk from Narvik to Sarek but I cancelled my flights on Monday. It's not likely we'll be traveling again before then.

Vincent82

« Reply #50 on: 14:39:18, 27/03/20 »
I went to Abisko last year, which should be on the way. It's beautiful there. Hopefully you will have a chance to go when it gets better.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 17:27:58, 27/03/20 »
Yes, Narvik is just over the border from Abisko. My route would have crisscross between Norway and Sweden before crossing Sarek to kvikjokk.  It might be possible I'd guess to go in the Autumn if things improve. Certainly be less mosquitos then.

Another option would be a ski tour, we'll just have to wait and see.

Vincent82

« Reply #52 on: 09:43:25, 19/04/20 »
Hi, so I've looked at the Loch Lomond national park website and it looks like the restricted areas for wild camping are quite small, and it's possible to get a permit anyway. Has anyone done that?

Not sure it would make a difference though, I think my June trip will be cancelled and it would be too difficult to go this year.

Vincent82

« Reply #53 on: 11:48:26, 18/06/20 »
It seems that hotels (and tourism) would start again on 15 July in Scotland (and 4 July in England).  Has anyone considered going on the WHW or other long distance paths this summer using hotels?

I'm a bit worried that they take bookings now but cancel later if they are not ready to open properly.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 13:42:55, 18/06/20 »
I think they are ready to open already (“covid compliant” seems to be the buzz word) – they’re just waiting for the nod from the government (hopefully next lockdown update) to actually allow people in.  It was mentioned on the news this morning (interview with caravan site owner) that they are taking provisional bookings now but anyone should be prepared to cancel/change their booking if needed.

As for booking anything now in anticipation, I’m not booking anything until we are told overnight stays are allowed again.  To be honest, I just can’t be bothered with the idea of faffing around changing/cancelling anything.  I’d rather wait a bit until it’s a confirmed “goer”.

The subject is also being discussed generally here (page 2):  http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40419.msg583444#msg583444

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy