Author Topic: Wild ponies of the Rhinogydd  (Read 3691 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Wild ponies of the Rhinogydd
« on: 16:48:35, 30/08/17 »
OK, I'm cheating. It's a still from my dashcam taken as I drove up to the start point for a walk over Rhinog Fawr.

I stopped to get out and take a photo but they cantered off.

These ponies live on the Crawcwellt east of the A470 between Trawsfynydd and Bronaber. Not many people know of their existence.

Edit: Should have said west side of A470  (Dementia starting to kick in) :D
« Last Edit: 17:59:28, 30/08/17 by Penygadair »

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild ponies of the Rhinogydd
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:43, 30/08/17 »
Never seen them there, they must be hiding whenever I walk that way!

The trio below were not in the Rhinogydd but in the Moelwyns, high up on Y Ro Wen to the south of Dolwyddelan. There was a fourth one but it was camera shy.
My impression was that they were not so much feral but had simply been abandoned  some time ago.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:28:41, 31/08/17 »
Interesting, I didn't know there were ponies in either of those areas - I've not walked either area admittedly but I've read up on walks and never heard them mentioned.

I think that's a cracking picture, Fernman, and for a dashcam shot I think that turned out pretty good too, Penygadair.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:50:10, 31/08/17 »
Lovely! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:27:30, 31/08/17 »
Never seen them there, they must be hiding whenever I walk that way!

The trio below were not in the Rhinogydd but in the Moelwyns, high up on Y Ro Wen to the south of Dolwyddelan. There was a fourth one but it was camera shy.
My impression was that they were not so much feral but had simply been abandoned  some time ago.

Yes, I only saw them for the first time a couple of years back. Noticed flattened dung on the road at Cefn Clawdd and thought 'cattle - beware' but then realised that I was too high and the ground too poor for cows. Caught sight of them on the way back to Trawsfynydd.
As you suggest i think they may have been abandoned years back. The manganese miners at Cefn Clawdd used ponies for personal transport from Traws. That ended in 1930s so no job, no money to feed a pony, abandonment seems logical. Left alone they would obviously breed. Next time i see the retired farmer at Graig Ddu Isaf I'll probably get an answer about them.

Ponies on Y Ro Wen I had never heard of.  I'm intrigued.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:39:34, 31/08/17 »
Lovely couple of pics there Penygadair and Fernman  :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:41:57, 01/09/17 »
Very nice  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Thedogsmother

« Reply #7 on: 21:17:55, 15/02/18 »
Great photographs. I knew about the ponies above Rowen as I’ve done quite a number of lovely walks up there, but had no idea about the others up on the Rhinogydd and I don’t live far from Bronaber!

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:14:07, 18/02/18 »
They tend to hang around the minor road which goes off te A479 south of Bronaber up to Graig Ddu Isaf

I've also seen them along the minor road which goes off the A470 north of Bronaber up to Cefn Clawdd

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy