Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292381 times)

Magic girl

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #555 on: 11:19:08, 13/10/18 »
An arcteryx atom lt jacket reduced from £200 to £100 from trekkit and also 2 pairs of darn tough socks,they're the only socks i wear now they're so comfortable and they keep my feet warm in winter and cool in summer x

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #556 on: 11:36:45, 13/10/18 »
I bought the Regatta Men's Birchdale jacket. Would have preferred to get a Gore-Tex jacket to be sure of it's dryness properties but couldn't find one in 4XL (in the Birchdale I'm 5XL, this is the only clothing item ever I've been 5XL in, many of my t-shirts are 3XL, beware of it's smallness if you order one yourself). So far it's been out for a couple of hours around town in heavy, windy rain yesterday and kept me dry so I'm happy with it. I wasn't sure it's hydrostatic head of 10,000 would be enough but it seems to be.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #557 on: 13:29:48, 15/10/18 »
I decided to test out my Decachlon £9.99 long johns last night so spent a night in my tent in the garden. They worked well, soft and cosey, I bought the larger size, so the legs are loose fitting which I prefer to skin tight.

dank86

« Reply #558 on: 22:01:43, 15/10/18 »
Latest purchases are a pair of Scarpa r-evos and a sleeping bag liner

Ronin83

« Reply #559 on: 22:02:34, 15/10/18 »
Berghaus peak 3.3 tent. Tested it sat night. From about 3 or 4 am we had powerful winds and heavy rain. It did well and was very practical, light and easy to put up/down. Perfect for me n the missus.
Pleased with it so far.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #560 on: 11:39:49, 16/10/18 »
Its not a purchase as such, it a free app which I have used all this year. I downloaded Zello, a walkie-talkie app and I think its potential is really great. I opened it up and it offers the user the opportunity to have your own free channel. I called mine 'UK BACKPACKING' and when I've had the chance I've asked hikers to download it as well.

The time it worked best for me was during my last hike in the Pyrenees. I was going towards the Bay of Biscay and I met a bloke, Martin (from North London) who was walking to St Jean Pied du Por. He had never hiked before and his rucksac was SO, SO heavy! I helped him sort out what he needed and what he could send back home. We then had a few drinks and a meal together.

I also downloaded Zello onto his phone and about a week later we had a two way conversation about his hike and where he had made it too. He was in St Jean and was making plans to carry on through Spain on the Camino Francais trail. I haven't heard from him since then but am hoping to find out if he made it to the end? I also used it to talk to my niece, nephews and a couple of friends whilst en route as well, great fun!

The beauty of this app is that people, even groups of people can talk at the same time and no one needs to know anyones telephone number. In my case the link between us is just 'UK BACKPACKING, that's all anyone needs to know.'

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #561 on: 15:46:35, 18/10/18 »
A pair of Altberg Tethera boors, size 12W, some Ledergris, Smartwool walking socks and an Osprey Talon 44 backpack.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #562 on: 00:16:13, 01/11/18 »
OL44 and 126 ordered this evening, ready to continue our excursions along the SW coast path.

taxino8

« Reply #563 on: 21:39:50, 01/11/18 »
I’ve just ordered an Alpkit Skyhigh 500 sleeping bag.

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #564 on: 14:20:21, 05/11/18 »
In preparation for my Offa's Dyke Path holiday next year, I've today bought an OEX Phoxx II 2 man tent and a Vango Ultralite Pro 300 sleeping bag. Just buying the gear has got me excited for next year  :D
You have one life, make the most of it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #565 on: 15:03:27, 05/11/18 »
Off to Kukudrill's country for a fortnight. So just for fun and lightness in my baggage have bought some trailrunners ,.Decided to buy cheap to (a) see if I like wearing trailrunners for walking, if yes I will get some better ones and (b) for Airline baggage weight. So went to that den of iniquity Sports Direct and pestered the sales girl ragged until I got a pair that truly fitted me. ( She thought I was mad wearing two pairs of socks ( and I had walked 4 miles before I got to the shop,) In the end I bought the most comfy ones which were Karrimor Sabre. I used my usual waterproof spay on them as soon as I could and have now worn them in the house and outside for a week. They are super comfy, and remain bone dry no matter what I throw at them so far. They will get tested on the stony terrain in Malta.
Too little, too late, too bad......

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #566 on: 19:40:28, 14/11/18 »
Took the plunge and bought my first pair of leather boots today, Scarpa Delta Activ GTX. Normally I wear fabric gtx boots but I'll save them for the better weather and longer walks. Hopefully these will be as waterproof as people say as fabric ones in Winter usually end up soaking and it's a struggle to get them dry before the next days walk.

Got them at Go Outdoors with their price guarantee, reduced from just under £200 to £108.

Now, just have to get motivated, lose weight and get my backside near hills  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #567 on: 20:05:26, 14/11/18 »
Now, just have to get motivated, lose weight and get my backside near hills  O0

Ditto O0

jo90

« Reply #568 on: 21:23:34, 14/11/18 »
I treat myself to a zebralight H600fc. Got the chance to use it for the first time on Saturday night with a late night walk from Seathwaite up to styhead. It was just like having my very own personal sunshine on my head lighting up the way.🌞

wombat

« Reply #569 on: 18:01:12, 15/11/18 »
A Black Diamond Spot head torch, to replace my trusty 30 year old Petzl zoom O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy