Author Topic: Cheddar Gorge circular walk  (Read 7813 times)

nesty

Cheddar Gorge circular walk
« on: 16:33:53, 27/10/17 »
I did this in July, but never got around to loading up the photos. I found it fairly demanding, (steep inclines). You start in Cheddar Gorge main street and work your way up one edge down across and up the other. Though the views are worth it!

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheddar Gorge circular walk
« Reply #1 on: 19:04:53, 27/10/17 »
Great pics Nesty.
I was intrigued as it;s been some years since I visited Cheddar Gorge; it was about the time Noah reached dry land.    ;D
All I remember is a cave with stalacmites, a skeleton in a glass case and towering cliffs, Thinking that I might like to look at it again and follow your route, I checked the website and found that my admission charge would be £16.95. Now I'm not mean...but!

Can I ask if the route you walked is outside the chargeable admission area?

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 20:24:59, 27/10/17 »
Great pics Nesty.
I was intrigued as it;s been some years since I visited Cheddar Gorge; it was about the time Noah reached dry land.   ;D
All I remember is a cave with stalacmites, a skeleton in a glass case and towering cliffs, Thinking that I might like to look at it again and follow your route, I checked the website and found that my admission charge would be £16.95. Now I'm not mean...but!

Can I ask if the route you walked is outside the chargeable admission area?

The walk itself & everything, I do is free. I am not a paying attraction guy! Means more money on beer!  O0

If you want to see the inner caves that is chargable. Though if you want to do soley the walk. There is a free way via public footpaths. 
They do a clever ploy. They make out to get to the ridge on the right of the Gorge (with Cheddar town centre behind you). You must pay to go up Jacobs ladder to get to it. then walk up.

No you don't. There is a public Footpath in Lynch Lane, off The Lippiatt, which takes you to the top of Jacobs ladder where the look out point is. Then you can continue up the ridge and then down across the road to the other ridge. All free of charge! 

« Last Edit: 20:30:07, 27/10/17 by nesty »

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 20:32:58, 27/10/17 »
Hi Nesty
Thanks, your photos provided me with a real memory jolt!  I grew up near Cheddar and as a child and in my teens did a lot of walking round those hills.  The rugged Mendips covers quite a small area but has some really interesting landscapes.  I remember walking from Burrington Combe (quieter than Cheddar Gorge but still impressive) across Black Down, past caves and swallets (local word for a wet cave!), bronze age barrows and Roman lead mines, to the Gorge and then down to Cheddar village.  The added benefit of long views across the levels to the 'sea' (well, the Bristol Channel, anyway) made for a great walk.  Must go back there sometime...
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 20:34:42, 27/10/17 »
The other side of the walk starts in Cufic Lane, just off Cliff Road.
Basically, you have the free option of starting here, or starting at the footpath in lynch Lane on the other side of the gorge, then completing the circular walk!

nesty

« Reply #5 on: 20:38:25, 27/10/17 »
Hi Nesty
Thanks, your photos provided me with a real memory jolt!  I grew up near Cheddar and as a child and in my teens did a lot of walking round those hills.  The rugged Mendips covers quite a small area but has some really interesting landscapes.  I remember walking from Burrington Combe (quieter than Cheddar Gorge but still impressive) across Black Down, past caves and swallets (local word for a wet cave!), bronze age barrows and Roman lead mines, to the Gorge and then down to Cheddar village.  The added benefit of long views across the levels to the 'sea' (well, the Bristol Channel, anyway) made for a great walk.  Must go back there sometime...

I did the Black Down walk as well. When staying in Cheddar. Though it was teaming down with rain when there! 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:34:20, 28/10/17 »
Lovely photos! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:00:35, 28/10/17 »
Great pictures, Nesty.  O0  Haven't been there since I was a child and we didn't do any walking then so stayed at the bottom of the gorge. What a beautiful place!

I always forget that reservoir is there - it looks very striking by the gorge in aerial photos.

nesty

« Reply #8 on: 13:06:39, 28/10/17 »
Great pictures, Nesty.  O0  Haven't been there since I was a child and we didn't do any walking then so stayed at the bottom of the gorge. What a beautiful place!

I always forget that reservoir is there - it looks very striking by the gorge in aerial photos.

I was staying in a campsite right by that (Axbridge) reservoir. There is a good walk by that as well called the Strawberry Line, which is the old taken out railway line.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:34:53, 30/10/17 »
Looks fantastic  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:08:56, 30/10/17 »
Stunning scenery, well worth the effort  O0
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:29:39, 30/10/17 »
Great photos O0

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:40:42, 30/10/17 »
Lovely photos Nesty and great tips for enjoying the walking without impacting on the beer fund  O0
Regards Keith

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:51:47, 30/10/17 »
Brilliant pictures nesty.  Cheddar Gorge is now on my to do list when I get to bagging the County of Somerset.  I never realised it looked quite so ... prehistoric. Thanks for posting :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:11:00, 30/10/17 »
Stunning photos nesty. I've been to Cheddar Gorge but only at low level.  It looks fantastic from high up    :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy