Author Topic: Walking in a group?  (Read 4476 times)

Edgarr

Re: Walking in a group?
« Reply #15 on: 14:21:21, 11/01/18 »
Mel:

I believe the field you are describing is roughly where I once saw a naked rambler (not totally naked - he was wearing a hat and a rucksack!) One of the very few occasions in my life where I literally didn’t know what to do next! After a brief pause, which felt more like a thousand years, I fumbled for my phone and found something interesting to do on it until he was out of my eyeline. I thought to myself “Well, you don’t see THAT every day” then carried on with my hike. Never a dull moment…  ;D

aw6334

« Reply #16 on: 15:19:01, 11/01/18 »
I'm considering joining a group, but the Ramblers (I assume) are a bit slow - I get that impression from the length of time it takes them to do a walk!  I know I can join other Rambler groups and not just my local, so maybe I need to investigate that more.

I generally walk alone plus  1 walk a week with a friend (we used to meet for coffee, now we walk instead), and I wouldn't mind walking with others, if I could find the right group who walk at the right speed, at the right time, on the right day......I'm not asking much, lol  ;)

Edgarr

« Reply #17 on: 17:10:46, 11/01/18 »
aw6334:

I generally walk alone plus  1 walk a week with a friend...

You are incredibly lucky. I have tried for years to get people I know to come for walks with me - no takers. Sheer laziness!!

It has always baffled me how others don't see the sheer joy of being, if only for a few hours, away from it all. No exhaust fumes, no shops, no loud and unnecessary noises, no PEOPLE; just silence and the all encompassing majesty of being surrounded by what is so often overlooked these days... NATURE! The exhilaration of a meadow or dale from up high. The rolling countryside, laid out as far as the eye can see. FRESH AIR, not the muck we breathe in in towns and cities. And its all FREE!!!

Our chosen hobby should be prescribed by doctors! Forget your sweaty gyms, filled with noise and nonsense! Just grab your boots and a map and GET OUT THERE!!!

Oops. Yes, well, there ya go. No-one I know cares about walking like I do. Boring gits!

aw6334

« Reply #18 on: 18:36:21, 11/01/18 »
aw6334:

You are incredibly lucky. I have tried for years to get people I know to come for walks with me - no takers. Sheer laziness!!

It has always baffled me how others don't see the sheer joy of being, if only for a few hours, away from it all. No exhaust fumes, no shops, no loud and unnecessary noises, no PEOPLE; just silence and the all encompassing majesty of being surrounded by what is so often overlooked these days... NATURE! The exhilaration of a meadow or dale from up high. The rolling countryside, laid out as far as the eye can see. FRESH AIR, not the muck we breathe in in towns and cities. And its all FREE!!!

Our chosen hobby should be prescribed by doctors! Forget your sweaty gyms, filled with noise and nonsense! Just grab your boots and a map and GET OUT THERE!!!

Oops. Yes, well, there ya go. No-one I know cares about walking like I do. Boring gits!

Haha ;D I agree, People these days need to be always "on" always being entertained, they can't just be alone with their thoughts for any length of time.

My, my, Edgarr, we sound like a right pair of old moaning and miserable farts! ;)

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:55:47, 11/01/18 »
Mel:

I believe the field you are describing is roughly where I once saw a naked rambler (not totally naked - he was wearing a hat and a rucksack!) One of the very few occasions in my life where I literally didn’t know what to do next! After a brief pause, which felt more like a thousand years, I fumbled for my phone and found something interesting to do on it until he was out of my eyeline. I thought to myself “Well, you don’t see THAT every day” then carried on with my hike. Never a dull moment…  ;D
That reminds me of a B&B on the SWCP when, over breakfast I asked the landlady who was a certain age, who was the artist was it her or her husband that painted the nudes around the wall.  She said neither I was the model - I didn't know where to look - well I did but I didn't! ;D ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:19:52, 11/01/18 »
Mel:

I believe the field you are describing is roughly where I once saw a naked rambler (not totally naked - he was wearing a hat and a rucksack!)

What? Didn't he have any boots on?  :o

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:21:57, 11/01/18 »
Perhaps they only looked above the waist!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:07:47, 11/01/18 »
I'm considering joining a group, but the Ramblers (I assume) are a bit slow ..

Don't assume!  If it's any help they allow 2 or 3 "try before you buy" walks with them free of charge to see whether or not it's for you.  In that respect, you've nowt to lose by giving them a go.

... I wouldn't mind walking with others, if I could find the right group who walk at the right speed, at the right time, on the right day......I'm not asking much, lol  ;) 

Aye, good luck with that.  Speed incompatibility is probably the main reason why so many of us walk alone.  Finding a group that ticks the right boxes for you is like looking for the Holy Grail.  Compromises generally have to be made.

Mel:

:o   Just so we're clear, I was meaning Deep Dale heading into Wharram Percy.  Is that where you are meaning ... obviously I'm asking so I can avoid that area.... of course.... you see  :D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:10:01, 11/01/18 »
Those scones are rather good aren't they Mel? O0 I usually stop off at Millington on the way back to my car at Bishop Wilton on a Sunday for a nice pot of tea and said scone. Sorry to trespass on your range but you couldn't eat them all surely?? :D
BTW I sitting on the fancy bench on the ridge above Millington having lunch about 4 years ago when what I presume was the naked rambler wandered past...boots and his map case strategically placed. Fair put me off my cheese and pickle roll. Didn't realise he was a regular in the area.

Edgarr

« Reply #24 on: 22:05:44, 11/01/18 »

aw6334:
I am happiest at my moaniest and most miserable best!

harland:
Haha! Amazing! That kind of thing usually happens to me too!

fernman:
Err, I didn’t look down as far as that… ! ::)

Mel:
Wowzers, it was a while back and, if I’m honest, I’ve tried my hardest to push it from my mind! He sauntered right past me, with not a care in the world, as I was navigating my way down a particularly steep slope somewhere beyond Millington. There were cows aplenty and it was a lovely sunny day, I remember that much for certain. I’m also pretty sure he wasn’t carrying any scones, although I might have accidentally caught a glimpse of his buns!!  ;D

johhnyp:
He’s a regular??!! Noooooooooooooo!!! :o

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:09:06, 13/01/18 »
Johnnyp and Edgarr, is this the guy you saw?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29800016

aw6334

« Reply #26 on: 17:58:33, 13/01/18 »

Don't assume!  If it's any help they allow 2 or 3 "try before you buy" walks with them free of charge to see whether or not it's for you.  In that respect, you've nowt to lose by giving them a go.

Aye, good luck with that.  Speed incompatibility is probably the main reason why so many of us walk alone.  Finding a group that ticks the right boxes for you is like looking for the Holy Grail.  Compromises generally have to be made.

Thanks - re the Ramblers I've been going by the time they say the walk will take - for example if they're doing an easy 6 mile walk starting at 10am, and they include a stop for lunch, I assume they are walking at a less than 2 miles an hour. I'm not sure my legs can work that slow ;D   Nevertheless, I shouldn't judge, I will go along to a few different groups to compare.

I was in a walking group early last year, I think I'm going to start going out with them again to start.

Thanks for the advice Mel!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:25:51, 13/01/18 »
No Mel; the one I saw was dark haired, chubby mid thirties I guess. As I recall he walked past me fully clothed in one direction ( from the Nunburnholme direction) then came back the other way later alfresco. Saw him coming but didn't actually gather my wits to say anything pithy other than "you'll catch your death" or something similarly stupid :-\

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 23:57:45, 13/01/18 »
aw6334, 2 miles an hour is fast for me  ;D   I did a try before you buy with a local Ramblers group and they certainly weren't slow!  I struggled to keep up, couldn't hold a conversation I was so out of puff and, as for seeing any of our lovely countryside?  It went by in a blur.  Not what this walking hobby's about for me.  As a group, they were lovely people but, needless to say, I've not been back!  Anyway, they managed to catch the earlier bus which was the reason for the ramp up in pace.  I couldn't help wondering what the point of the walk was if all they were doing was rushing to get back  :-\   Horses for courses though.  Just reading through this forum shows how many different reasons for getting out for a walk there is.

...Saw him coming ...

Possibly a poor choice of words given his state of undress  :D ;D   (sorry!)

Thankfully, I've never seen the chap, not in his au naturale state anyhow...though mebby I wouldn't recognise him with his clothes on!

Right, so, now I've lowered the tone suitably, I'm off  :D

Addingham

« Reply #29 on: 00:35:48, 14/01/18 »
Johnnyp and Edgarr, is this the guy you saw?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29800016

I thought he was still in the nick. ;D  Or maybe in a psychiatric ward nowadays. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy