Author Topic: Walking a marathon  (Read 1452 times)

pearcebuff

Walking a marathon
« on: 18:24:45, 23/03/18 »
Hello all, I am new to the forum and new to walking (long distances). I am planning to walk a marathon distance over roads / pavements in late July 2018. I  started walking yesterday , did 4 miles (feet aching a bit!). I wonder if i can ask what is best to wear / type  'footwear wise' for this task ? i wore skechers yesterday that have memory foam, they felt ok at start , then started to feel 'solid' at about 3.5 miles and I got  a smal blister below the big toe. 
I really want to give this my 100% and raise money for Prostate Cancer. Any advice on footwear and socks (+ any training tips) would be really appreciated - i am a novice.
Thank you all in advance.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking a marathon
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:08, 23/03/18 »
For tarmac/pavements?  I would say a pair of road running trainers - proper sports ones not fashion items.

I have a pair of Sketchers trainers and they are only any good for a couple of miles at a time.  I think they are primarily designed for use in a gym rather than in the real world.

Also, consider sports socks / walking socks which will wick sweat away and help prevent blisters.

You may also need to go up a half size or more too as your feet will expand when warm.

pearcebuff

« Reply #2 on: 18:53:28, 23/03/18 »
Thank you for your advice , i have been signed up to this for a week now- puirchased a pair of ASICS running shoes (gel), had great cushioning and felt pretty comfortable, I walked a hundred yards in them and it felt like my feet were being pushed 'outwards'? could not get on with them , i was told this maybe to do with my 'Gait'?

I feel that a pair of decent shock absorbing / supportive running shoes are the way forward.

Tin

« Reply #3 on: 19:25:46, 23/03/18 »
Footwear is a very subjective item to find what will work the best for an individual, having said that, for tarmac and general use I have found Merrells to be very comfortable for me. Good luck on your search and wish you well on your walk.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:05:38, 24/03/18 »
 Many good sports shops have the facility to film you on a treadmill so they can see whether you over or under pronate and then can select the right sort of running shoe to suit.
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:12:48, 24/03/18 »
Take a look at the Karrimor range.  They do some great well priced walking shoes.. Be sure to wear a pair or even two pairs of cotton sports socks, when you try them on.  That should give you a comfy base to build up your fitness from.  If you have blisters already take it easy and sort them out before you go pushing the miles.  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:06:50, 24/03/18 »
Trainers with good amounts of cushioning are the best footwear for hard tarmac roads.
Wearing heavy boots for mile after mile of a hard unforgiving surfaces, will cripple your calf muscles, even if the boots are a perfect fit.

Knowing the exact terrain your route will be taking, will make choice of footwear far easier, but a pair of comfortable trainers is what you need.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:26:36, 24/03/18 »
Running and walking shoes, but especially running shoes - you really have to get ones that suite your feet. There are models that are best for people who, over-pronate (feet rolling inwards) over supinate (feet rolling outwards) or those who's are Neutral. I have one foot that over-pronates and one that over-supinates, both only mildy so. To combat this I purchased a pair of custom made orthotic insoles and put them in to a Neutral shoe.
Sometimes I take these out especially if doing high mileage 40 mile+, and replace them with a pair of Sorbothane Double Strike cushioned insoles.
Whatever make sure the shoes are well cushioned.
If you felt that both your feet were being pushed out, your feet are either neutral or over-supinating and the shoes were meant for an over-pronator, or the shoes were neutral and your feet are over-supinating.
Over-pronator shoes have built in compensating features together with more of an arch support, which lifts the arch or inside of your foot.
Neutral shoes have a more of a flat foot bed.
If using a custom made orthotic insole, it is best to put them into a Neutral shoe.
Of course it also be down to the fact that the socks you were wearing are particularly slippery on a medium arch support insole, causing your feet to slide outwards (I have experienced this)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:56:37, 25/03/18 »
Be sure to wear a pair or even two pairs of cotton sports socks, when you try them on. :)

Surprised you suggest cotton socks. I wear running shoes for walking in all but the wettest terrain as I prefer a very light shoe with the ability to 'feel' the terrain  and I still always wear Bridgedale socks and most often with merino content. I find cotton socks just hold the wet, whether sweat or water, and then rub.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:33:22, 25/03/18 »
I have in the past found cotton socks next to my feet on long walks end up being like sandpaper  as well as wet and smelly. I now wear thin bamboo, silk, anything other than cotton next to my feet and merino thick socks above them,

I have also never had a problem walking on roads / paths in my heavy boots. I suppose its because I got really well fitting boots, orthotic insoles that suit my feet, and wear so many socks.  I have (touch wood) not been bothered by blisters but I do oil my feet before and after a walk with a mixture of Olive oil & T tree oil.
Better tell the army not to do route marches on roads in their boots, eh Dyffrynn.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy