Author Topic: Water, the age old question.  (Read 2566 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Water, the age old question.
« Reply #15 on: 20:10:19, 19/06/18 »
Totally agree, maybe some shorter walks in warmer weather will allow you to gauge your requirements.
Just to show how variable people are I'll regularly get through just under 3lt in warm weather (4 x 600ml siggs + 400ml Flask with either hot or ice cold drink in it).
My walking buddy rarely gets through 1.2l for comparison.

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

tenmilesplus

« Reply #16 on: 23:42:31, 19/06/18 »
Thanks for all tour contributions..

The main reason for my water enquiry is that I haven't walked more than a marathon (26 miles) in a day before and I'm going to try and walk as much of the Test way as I can in one / two days which is 44 miles. Walking the marathon was an organised event for Alzheimers so there was no issues with food or water.. I did carry 2l with me to share with my Wife.. On a daily we generally carry too much, 10mile walk in Winter we would carry 2l with extra in the car but in the heat over 14deg I carry 2x 1l bladder and 2x700ml bottles with extra in the car, we always come back with about half.. We also don't eat much other than an apple or such..  Food wise I was hoping to survive on oat bars and beans in a re-sealable pot.

Any recommendations for a cheap water purifier ? I was looking through 'Walking Magazine' today and it's not difficult to spend over £100 and very few £30 or under.. I notice too that some are buy and use and others need extra filters or tablets etc.. 
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 06:16:35, 20/06/18 »
Thanks for all tour contributions..

Any recommendations for a cheap water purifier ? I was looking through 'Walking Magazine' today and it's not difficult to spend over £100 and very few £30 or under.. I notice too that some are buy and use and others need extra filters or tablets etc..

"Sawyer Mini" £20 (ish) or
"Soldier"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldier-Portable-Water-Purifier-Purification-Backpacking-Pump-Filter-Hard-Case-X/142803550656?epid=4014807247&hash=item213fc141c0:g:DKoAAOSw~oFXKKIe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-SAWYER-MINI-WATER-FILTER-KIT-Filtration-Survival-Purification-Straw/173363215911?epid=1085150918&hash=item285d40be27:g:iVcAAOSwYIhWl9wt

Do a YouTube search for "Sawyer Mini" & "Soldier Water Filter".

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:26:15, 20/06/18 »
So much depends on conditions how you are feeling and terrain.  On a recent 10 mile romp out to Cranmere Pool I only had half a ltd with me, as I wasn't planning on walking that far.  Got back a bit thirsty but not dehydrated.  On another recent 20.5 mile walk I took 3ltr with me and by the end of the day I was quite dehydrated.  Both warm days on Dartmoor.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #19 on: 22:31:35, 21/06/18 »
Well there is a charity alternative.. Check out the Roll out the Barrel Trust..

http://www.rolloutthebarrel.org/contact/fundraising/
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy