Author Topic: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!  (Read 8393 times)

Roburite

Re: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!
« Reply #30 on: 08:44:34, 29/06/18 »
If you have a knee problem go for the poles. Don't just carry them around, as many do, really work them and feel the difference both uphill and down. (Four legs good)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:54:00, 29/06/18 »

...I am kind of committed to Dartmoor for this trip, but this is the first of many and I plan on there being many to come....

Go for it! I'm sure that Dartmoor will not disappoint.

But I do think that the eastern Lake District would be an ideal follow up trip as the transport links are so good (as are the fells themselves).

I have loads of questions I want to ask but keep holding back as that’s what the rest of the forum is for.... thank you for all your input.

Don't hold back; bring them on.

I and plenty of others will be happy to help. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:29:15, 29/06/18 »
I use poles, very useful for steep descents, three to four anchor at a time, better than just two feet. Also great for pointing the way, knocking fruit off trees, slashing stinging nettles and brambles, checking depths of water, helping to balance on rocks across streams, to poke or to 'tap' at difficult dogs, to ease cows out of the way and of course, for leaning on.

I used to own a pair of traditional poles but now use Pacerpoles, for me much, much better.

I sometimes leave them behind especially when I'm doing a 'flat' route.

Sorry, I know nothing about Dartmoor, I rarely get to Devon or Cornwall, too far for me to go.

JVB

« Reply #33 on: 16:57:02, 29/06/18 »

But I do think that the eastern Lake District would be an ideal follow up trip as the transport links are so good (as are the fells themselves).

I will be off again in august so could make this my second solo trip. Any recommendations?
normality never interested me....

JVB

« Reply #34 on: 17:06:13, 29/06/18 »
Question time?
I have a decent map and compass which I am comfortable with using but I love a bit of tech and as phones are so good nowadays are there any genuinely good GPS navigation apps people use? ive heard of ViewRanger but wasn't sure if this was a viable option. Do you get decent reception on Dartmoor. Or if money is not to much of a problem what would you buy?

Toilet etiquette? the one that takes more effort..... how to do it nicely?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 08:40:57, 30/06/18 »

Can't help you with the GPS app as I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech on the hill, but toilet etiquette I can.

WalkScotland - "Backpackers should always carry a little trowel with them (or in the winter you can alternatively use an ice axe). Dig a small hole, crap into it, and then fill it in once you're finished. Don't simply bury your waste under boulders."

I would add - don't 'go' near a water source (obvious but very important), and cut away a square of turf and put it to one side, before digging deeper if need be, so that you can replace it neatly once you have finished. Minimal damage - no one will know that you have been there! :)

As for a trowel, lightweight camping trowels are available, but I made one out of some 1/8" thick aluminium plate, super tough and only 66g (yes I'm that sad that I weighed it).
« Last Edit: 08:43:59, 30/06/18 by richardh1905 »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:51:39, 30/06/18 »

As for a trowel, lightweight camping trowels are available, but I made one out of some 1/8" thick aluminium plate, super tough and only 66g (yes I'm that sad that I weighed it).

I purchased mine off Amazon, (£1 inc. postage) it came in a small canvas pouch which is just big enough to include some toilet paper and a bottle of hand-sanitiser.

All up weight 170g

(I did subsequently get another one (without the pouch) for 11p inc postage. (well you couldn't not could you)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:03:13, 30/06/18 »

I will be off again in august so could make this my second solo trip. Any recommendations?

On reflection, Windermere Station may be a better finishing point than Kendal as it is nearer the fells; so you can stay high longer.

A quick route for a 1/2 night trip from Penrith to Windermere. One of many possibilities, and easily varied.

Penrith station, SSE by town streets to
Eamont Bridge, S under the M6 to the start of
Earl Henry's Drive, track S - SSW through woodland to the village of
Askham, then WSW by bridleway to Askham Fell.

You'll now be at the northern end of a long ridge of hills that leads pretty all the way to Windermere. Remarkably, a Roman Road runs along the length of this ridge; it is called High Street, as is the highest hill on the ridge. I'll leave it to you to sort out the rest of the route; as I inferred, there are many detours and variations that you could take, dependent upon how much time that you have (and the weather - if it turns nasty you could drop down and pick a lower route). You are unlikely to meet many people up there; these are quieter hills that are overlooked by the hordes. Plenty of opportunity for wild camping, I'm sure, whether on the ridge, or by one of the secluded tarns either side of the ridge.

Here's a thread about a recent wild camp in this area (not by me!) :

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36721.0

Finally, Bing Maps is your friend, you can view and pan around the Ordnance Survey 1:50000 and 1:25000 series maps, as well as in satellite view. Great for route planning.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=084e0c3b-4cfd-4a01-a83b-d3ae8a2bd291&cp=54.632507~-2.779578&lvl=13&style=s&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
« Last Edit: 09:52:48, 30/06/18 by richardh1905 »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:09:14, 30/06/18 »
Question time?
I have a decent map and compass which I am comfortable with using but I love a bit of tech and as phones are so good nowadays are there any genuinely good GPS navigation apps people use? ive heard of ViewRanger but wasn't sure if this was a viable option. Do you get decent reception on Dartmoor. Or if money is not to much of a problem what would you buy?

It may mean a bit of extra weight but I would prefer to keep my 'safety devices' separate, if you 'lose the phone' (drop it in a puddle, break it or get a flat battery) then you have also lost your GPS. Keep the phone safely in the pack, switched off until you need to use it.

Other opinions are available

I have a SATMAP Active 10 GPS unit which has a 3.5 inch screen (old eyes struggle with the tiny 2" screens on the Garmin and the like) It runs on SD cards which are taken from the Ordnance Survey mapping so are easily recognisable and usable for any one used to 'paper maps') and I have the Full UK at multiple levels :
1:10,000 (down to street names and shows individual houses and PUBS !)
1:25,000 (down to field boundaries, footpaths, streams, contours etc)
1:50,000 (equivalent to the old 1 inch to the mile - good for planning routes, shows footpaths etc)

The battery lasts around 14-16 hours on full power (one second position updates) but there are several power saving option where it will gives up to 100 hours use)

You can pick up a unit on ebay for around £50-£70
Various SD cards available on ebay or directly from SATMAP,

The cards directly from SAT MAP are not cheap but here's a link to show what's available -
You can buy "County", "Region", '"Long Distance Way", "North UK", "Central UK", "South UK" etc etc all at various scales.

https://www.satmap.com/maps.html
« Last Edit: 09:16:04, 30/06/18 by alan de enfield »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:36:08, 30/06/18 »
I use the Backcountry app when hiking in the UK and SityTrail when in France. The SityTrail app is particulary good, all the GR routes are highlighted in dark blue and if you vere off the trail your mobile phone will bleep you.

For personal business, all I can add is, when the time comes, make sure that when you lower your trousers its always a useful thing to have a good view of who might approach and from what direction. Nothing worse when a person suddenly appears in front or behind you.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:24:49, 30/06/18 »
Question time?
....are there any genuinely good GPS navigation apps people use? ive heard of ViewRanger but wasn't sure if this was a viable option. Do you get decent reception on Dartmoor.

I use Viewranger all the time on a dedicated cheap mobile smartphone (to keep my normal phone tucked away in case of emergencies).  Can't fault it.  It's free and it does come with free basic mapping.  The only thing that costs money is if you want to buy Ordnance Survey mapping. 

With regards to reception, it uses the location/gps function on the phone so you don't need the mobile data or wifi switched on.  I can't imagine you'd have any problems with reception because it's not a mobile phone signal, as such, that it uses for this.

JVB

« Reply #41 on: 08:34:19, 02/07/18 »
Apologies for the delayed replies and again thank you for all your input.

Trowel purchased and separate roll top with roll and hand sanitizer. Job done. Now to learn how to dig a nice hole.

Doing some research on dedicated GPS devices.  I want to use the camera on my phone and using that along with GPS I think will kill the battery rather quickly so having it separate makes sense.

The comments made about checking depth of water have got me thinking. You can obviously check how solid ground is as well. Novice anxiety here but I read that story about the guy who got stuck in a bog for 20 hours and was only spotted because of a drone fling over. Don’t fancy that much. Researching poles now.

Question? Bivvy bag? Tarp? Tent? What would you use at this time of year on your own?

Being a little on the short side,  I am finding it difficult to source some rip off trousers that don’t make me look like MC Hammer. My mrs has had a good laugh at me with the ones I’ve tried so far. Any recommendations?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:44:59, 02/07/18 »

Question? Bivvy bag? Tarp? Tent? What would you use at this time of year on your own?

Tent; remember that you are not just purchasing for this trip; if you go to the Lakes or further afield midges could well be an issue, and you may decide to camp in other seasons. Don't go for a super thoroughbred lightweight; a good all rounder would be a better choice.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:09:35, 02/07/18 »

Tent, Tent, Tent

As you are on your own, & maybe you don't want to spend a fortune (yet) I can fully recommend this Gelert One Tent.

On clearance at Sports Direct for under £30.

It really is a good strong tent and fairly light weight - mine weighs in (complete with everything) at 1.665kg

https://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-track-1-tent-783070?colcode=78307090&gclid=CjwKCAjwmufZBRBJEiwAPJ3LpssT0jNBd_dK5NA-D-hW77pn-3yMG-PhWLzAnoYiZmD3SMwjw6ab5BoCR6QQAvD_BwE

They also have a green version.

O' did I mention "get a tent".

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 09:31:10, 02/07/18 »

They also have a green version.

^ this. Dull green best for wild camping, without a doubt. Especially if you plan to go 'stealth' in future.

And "get a tent"  :)

As Alan's post demonstrates, you don't need to spend a fortune to be able to get out there and do it. My 'go to' wild camping tent is a simple 2 hoop 2 man tunnel tent; cost £60; a bit bigger than Alan's but I do like to be able to sit up; it is a bit heavier though at 2.1kg. Mine also has aluminium poles- I find that the metal collars on fibreglass poles can be a fiddle to thread through the sleeves (a pet hate of mine I must confess).

I prefer a solid inner tent, but I do like the option to have a full mesh inner door; feels less claustrophobic. The important thing is to be able to control the ventilation; if it is cold, I zip up the solid door.

Tents are a fertile subject of discussion; very much a case of 'each to their own', so I'm not going to recommend any particular model. Mine is no longer manufactured, in any case.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy