Author Topic: Mevagissey to Fowey  (Read 4561 times)

thorpey182

Mevagissey to Fowey
« on: 15:22:46, 27/06/18 »
Hi all,

I'm spending some time in Cornwall soon and I fancied walking the Coastal Path from Mevagissey to Fowey, and then back on the ferry. Is that feasible to do in a day? I've never done the Coastal Path before so not sure what to expect.

Thank you!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Mevagissey to Fowey
« Reply #1 on: 21:58:37, 27/06/18 »
Hi Rich
I just had a quick look.  It looks about 15 ish miles, mebbe a little more. You would need to do a proper check the route to get a more accurate figure.   My experience of Cornwall's coastal paths is that they are very much up and down.  Nothing too severe,up 200 ft, down 100ft, then back up again.  Constant, and very tiring if it's hot.

If you are fit, like many members of this forum, I am sure this is doable.  I am not so fit, and if I was walking it, I would have to start early cos it would take me all day, and the ferry staff would probably have packed up and gone home by the time I got there. 

Hopefully another member of the forum knows this area better than I and can give you more info.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:28:44, 27/06/18 »
 I would say your planned day is not too hard by SWCP standards and doable in a day (not sure about ferry times). The hardest work is at the start; to Charlestown. There are the usual ups and downs through fields and often stepped; so not too rocky. There are plenty of stopping points too eg Pentewan. It is not a remote section. You then follow golf courses and park type areas to Par, where there is a bit of an industrial landscape, but it is all pretty flat.
Beaches and then a slow climb to Polkerris follow. The up and down follows from here; mostly up to Gribben Head with good cliff views. It is then a nice undulating but generally downhill run along the estuary to Fowey with a significant suburban walk in at the end.
The real work is the next leg to polperro.
Not a bad day if the sun shines O0

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:36:09, 27/06/18 »
About 17 miles :D

thorpey182

« Reply #4 on: 23:34:55, 27/06/18 »
That's some fantastic information! Thank you very much. I'll set off early just so I have the whole day to walk if needs be, and I'll double check the Ferry times as that would be a tad embarrassing!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:49:50, 27/06/18 »
No problem. Just had a quick look at my swcp notes. It took me around 3.5 hrs to get to Charlestown. Then around 4.5 hrs to Fowey

Roburite

« Reply #6 on: 08:52:53, 29/06/18 »
Whenever I use public transport with a linear route I try to ride out and walk back so there is no danger of missing the connection and getting stuck miles from my base. Wouldn't this be the best way to use the ferry?

thorpey182

« Reply #7 on: 14:52:40, 29/06/18 »
That's a very good idea...I'd not though of that. I've found the timetable and the last one from Fowey is 1810, but better to be safe that sorry. Thank you!

RogerA

« Reply #8 on: 14:54:54, 29/06/18 »
Others have given you a good idea of distance - as they say its a part of the SWCP I know very well and have walked that route more than once
I will say though that for my money I far prefer the other direction - Mevagissey south past Portmellon and Chapel Point through Gorran Haven and round the Roseland penninsula past Dodman point (theres a photo of Dodman point in the link in my signature) then onward past the folly castle at Caerhaeys.
You could then bus back from Portholland (that makes about 9 miles walk) or you could make circular and cut back across country via Gorran Churchtown through the valley and woods to Portmellon - shorter but no less up and down taking it up to 16 miles (buses at several points on that route back if you need). Carrying on past Portholland makes the buses more difficult (e.g. Veryan / Trewithian) as they tend to want to go via St Austell to get to Mevagissey.
Hope that helps,
[Edit: If helpful this link should show you an elevation profile and some photos to give you an idea of what that section of the cornish coast path is like - not quite the section you're planning - I'll see if I can dig that out and add later https://www.komoot.com/tour/21884487 ]
« Last Edit: 15:17:08, 29/06/18 by RogerA »

thorpey182

« Reply #9 on: 09:26:06, 30/06/18 »
They are some fantastic photos! Thank you very much. I'll have a look at the West bound route too, I've got a week down there so hopefully I'll be able to cram a few different walks in here and there. I can't believe I'd not considered using Public Transport before!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:03:35, 25/07/18 »
If you are still to do this walk and can afford a hour for lunch, then be sure to take a stop at the Polkeris Inn.  Great little pub and not too expensive. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy