Author Topic: TR Day 2 Allen Crags, down Langstrath to Stonethwaite Sun 22 Jul 18  (Read 1312 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We had our breakfast and packed our gear. The weather was the same with clag everywhere and no views. We didn't fancy the planned route up Great Gable and Green Gable so when Karl suggested descending to Langstrath, we were pleased. We were ready before Karl and the lads so we left first, they would be quicker than us anyway and would soon catch us up, unless they did a few tops on the way down if the weather improved. We popped up onto Allen Crags summit before descending to Esk Hause and then toward Angle Tarn.

Beefy on Allen Crags

A peep of Bowfell in the mist

When we got to Angle Tarn, we couldn't see it!

On the way down by Angletarn Gill

It was nice to have a bit of a view

Looking into Langstrath

Looking back to where we'd forded Angletarn Gill

The Angletarn Gill path turns left where the walkers are. The gill in the cloud covered valley is Allencrags Gill. There is a route up that way too apparently, I've never done it looks very steep on the map.

Eagle Crag and Sergeant's Crag

We were able to cross Langstrath Beck shortly afterward there wasn't much water in it. We joined the path on the other side.

Looking down Langstrath

We thought the others would have caught us up by now. We were ready to stop for a break when we got close to Tray Dub.

The now obligatory bum shot for Pleb

Beefy got some water for our brews and we had something to eat.

Looking back to Esk Pike and Great End

The cloud was lifting from these tops. Karl and the lads caught us up here, they said they had stopped further up stream for a rest when they'd picked up water. They had a snack with us and then left us to finish our lunch. They were wanting some proper food and wanted to get a roast dinner in Threlkeld. We stayed to finish our lunch, the buses are every half an hour from Stonethwaite, so we said our farewells. Good to see you again Karl, thanks for inviting yourself to come along with us  :D

Tray Dub

The sun came out for a while here and it got hotter as we walked through the valley

Cam Crag

Eagle Crag from Johnny House

We walked through the campsite on the right of way instead of the lane. We used the footpath avoiding the road near the school for the first time, it is a nice path, better than the road.

Beefy on the footpath near Stonethwaite

We got to the road end with only 10 minutes to wait for the bus. Perfect timing. Day 2 was Pitch at 732m - Allen Crags - Esk Hause - Angle Tarn - Angletarn Gill descent - Langstrath - Stonethwaite Campsite footpath - Stonethwaite Road End 11.3km with 141m ascent, 781m descent. The weather wasn't great but we can't complain really, we have had great weather this summer so far.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
More cracking pics  O0
Was a great weekend, nice to see Karl and David again, and nice to meet Robert O0
Hope I didn't bug you with the drone  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Hope I didn't bug you with the drone  :D

You didn't bug me but you might have bugged David   ;)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed both reports and the photos April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Another great set of photos April.
Lovely shot of Bow Fell.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Langstrath is lovely; thanks for posting.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks sunnydale, Ridge and Richard  O0
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks for posting April; brings back memories of a walk I did down Langstrath in January O0

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks henry  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Tray dub looks interesting  O0
Unlike beefys bum  >:(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Tray dub looks interesting  O0
Unlike beefys bum  >:(

Pleb, I take the beefy bottom shots especially for you  :o
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed both days reports April - love the picture of Bowfell in the mist (not so keen on Beefy's backside - where is the clag when you need it?)

Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy