Author Topic: Query - Helvellyn from the Youth Hostel  (Read 1825 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Query - Helvellyn from the Youth Hostel
« on: 20:17:43, 24/07/18 »
In a few weeks time my sons (15 and 12) are going to make a rare visit to hills that aren't in Wales. We're staying at YHA Helvellyn and want to climb to the summit via Striding Edge  but I have a couple of queries:

1) is it possible/sensible to head straight to the summit of Birkhouse Moor from the YH? It looks steep and craggy and we might be better taking the path that follows the contour line round to the other side of Birkhouse Moor and going up from there. Can anyone who has done it advise?

2) If we get to Striding Edge and don't fancy it, what's the best option from there? My eldest and I did the Nantlle Ridge 2 years ago and Glyder Fawr/Castell y Gwynt/Glyder Fach last year but youngest was off cycling with his dad both times so I'm probably most worried about him.

Thanks for any advice.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Query - Helvellyn from the Youth Hostel
« Reply #1 on: 21:14:39, 24/07/18 »

Can't help you with Birkhouse Moor, but I imagine that if you follow the Red Tarn path at some stage you would be able to take a short cut up to the start of Striding Edge.

The obvious alternative to Striding Edge is Swirral Edge; a lot shorter. And return down the Keppel Cove path; very straight forward. Although in good conditions Striding Edge shouldn't give you much trouble; I took my mother up there when she was in her mid fifties and she had no bother.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:39:24, 24/07/18 »
Can't help you with Birkhouse Moor, but I imagine that if you follow the Red Tarn path at some stage you would be able to take a short cut up to the start of Striding Edge.

The obvious alternative to Striding Edge is Swirral Edge; a lot shorter. And return down the Keppel Cove path; very straight forward. Although in good conditions Striding Edge shouldn't give you much trouble; I took my mother up there when she was in her mid fifties and she had no bother.

Thanks. Having had another look at the map I can see that Swirral Edge then back via Keppel Cove would be a decent alternative. We'll only be attempting Striding Edge if the conditions are good and you're probably right that it will be fine. I really hope so.

This is what I was wondering about alternatives to get to the summit of Birkdale Moor:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YP87Gh6ubnBicU0YO34oF9aQWNK7GQnx

So I could do the orange dashed route, following the marked footpaths, I could take a fairly direct route up the purple dashed path, but that includes about 50m of ascent through a scree slope or I could take the solid pink route, following the course of a stream upwards. No scree on that last route and no very close together contours.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:50:58, 24/07/18 »
I descended from Birkhouse moor down to the path above Glenridding Beck (Chasing a Geocache) a couple of years back. I would estimate it was in the area of Bleacove beck. My recollection is that it was an unpleasant struggle. My intention was to drop down, pick up the cache, then re-ascend to bag the summit. I stayed down and bagged the summit the following year as I really didn't fancy the climb back up.. I was about 12 miles and 8 Wainwrights in by this point though..
« Last Edit: 22:03:53, 24/07/18 by Hillhiker1 »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:25:37, 24/07/18 »
It is possible to scramble up Birkhouse Moor, my son and I did it when he was younger than your boys.

Most of the way along Striding Edge you can avoid the very top. If you don't fancy it, and still want to summit, then head down to Red Tarn and up Swirral Edge which is much less exposed.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:26:43, 24/07/18 »
I descended from Birkhouse moor down to the path above Glenridding Beck (Chasing a Geocache) a couple of years back. I would estimate it was in the area of Bleacove beck. My recollection is that it was an unpleasant struggle. My intention was to drop down, pick up the cache, then re-ascend to bag the summit. I stayed down and bagged the summit the following year as I really didn't fancy the climb back up.. I was about 12 miles and 8 Wainwrights in by this point though..

Thanks. Maybe taking the longer route round is for the best. I'll see if they have any good advice at the hostel when we get there.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:27:52, 24/07/18 »
It is possible to scramble up Birkhouse Moor, my son and I did it when he was younger than your boys.

Most of the way along Striding Edge you can avoid the very top. If you don't fancy it, and still want to summit, then head down to Red Tarn and up Swirral Edge which is much less exposed.

That's two votes now for Red Tarn/Swirral, thanks. And encouraging to know it is possible to scramble up Birkhouse Moor.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:36:25, 24/07/18 »
Striding Edge is infamous but if you are used to walking in rough areas in Snowdonia then you will probably not even think twice about it.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:42:25, 24/07/18 »
Striding Edge is infamous but if you are used to walking in rough areas in Snowdonia then you will probably not even think twice about it.

Thanks. The most challenging ridge youngest has done is the narrow one at the top of the Rhyd Ddu path so he's not been tested much in comparison to my eldest.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:20:47, 25/07/18 »

Thanks. Having had another look at the map I can see that Swirral Edge then back via Keppel Cove would be a decent alternative. We'll only be attempting Striding Edge if the conditions are good and you're probably right that it will be fine. I really hope so.

This is what I was wondering about alternatives to get to the summit of Birkdale Moor:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YP87Gh6ubnBicU0YO34oF9aQWNK7GQnx

So I could do the orange dashed route, following the marked footpaths, I could take a fairly direct route up the purple dashed path, but that includes about 50m of ascent through a scree slope or I could take the solid pink route, following the course of a stream upwards. No scree on that last route and no very close together contours.

To be honest, I would ditch Birkhouse Moor altogether, and save your energies for Striding Edge! If conditions are good up high, and if you are feeling fit, you could extend your walk and have a fine promenade over the hills to the north of Helvellyn - Raise, Stybarrow Dodd and Great Dodd, returning via Sticks Pass to the Youth Hostel.

Either way, have a good time!

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:57:04, 25/07/18 »

To be honest, I would ditch Birkhouse Moor altogether, and save your energies for Striding Edge! If conditions are good up high, and if you are feeling fit, you could extend your walk and have a fine promenade over the hills to the north of Helvellyn - Raise, Stybarrow Dodd and Great Dodd, returning via Sticks Pass to the Youth Hostel.

Either way, have a good time!

That might well be a good idea thinking about it. I don't want to get drawn into Wainwright bagging anyway.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:16:51, 25/07/18 »

That might well be a good idea thinking about it. I don't want to get drawn into Wainwright bagging anyway.

Neither do I - no need for an arbitrary list to enjoy the hills.

I didn't even know what a 'Wainwright' was until I joined this forum. I did consider trying to count those that I had unwittingly climbed in the past, but I really can't be bothered. No point in bagging all the Birkhouse Moors and Hobcarton Ends that I have missed when the vastness of the Scottish Highlands is out there waiting for me - enough to keep me busy for a lifetime (and I'm not talking about Munro bagging).  :)
« Last Edit: 21:22:42, 25/07/18 by richardh1905 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:13:43, 25/07/18 »

Neither do I - no need for an arbitrary list to enjoy the hills.

I didn't even know what a 'Wainwright' was until I joined this forum. I did consider trying to count those that I had unwittingly climbed in the past, but I really can't be bothered. No point in bagging all the Birkhouse Moors and Hobcarton Ends that I have missed when the vastness of the Scottish Highlands is out there waiting for me - enough to keep me busy for a lifetime (and I'm not talking about Munro bagging).  :)

Fair enough but it's not merely some arbitrary list bagging which makes people "bag" Wainwright's - for me it's a motivation to explore.

Clyoung - I suspect your son will find Striding Edge a piece of cake.  Don't underestimate Swirral - you need to ensure you stay on line - there is some difficult ground either side. Though if you take your time it's a lovely route too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:04:47, 25/07/18 »

Fair enough but it's not merely some arbitrary list bagging which makes people "bag" Wainwright's - for me it's a motivation to explore.

Clyoung - I suspect your son will find Striding Edge a piece of cake.  Don't underestimate Swirral - you need to ensure you stay on line - there is some difficult ground either side. Though if you take your time it's a lovely route too.

Each to their own, pdstsp; I'm not having a go at Wainwright baggers, it's just not for me :)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 02:10:54, 26/07/18 »

Thanks for the warning.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy