Author Topic: Sharp Edge and the Blencathra Group  (Read 648 times)

harry_keogh

Sharp Edge and the Blencathra Group
« on: 12:30:57, 02/08/18 »
Did this one evening a few weeks ago. Perfect weather for it as I suspect that Mungrisdale Common would get a little soggy after a period of wet weather. Sharp Edge was fun but short lived. Unfortunately my photos didn't turn out very well, possibly due to the low sun. The best thing about the walk was that I had pretty much the whole of the Blencathra range to myself! Think I saw 1 fell runner and that's it.

Full trip report: Sharp Edge and the Blencathra Group

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Sharp Edge and the Blencathra Group
« Reply #1 on: 13:08:16, 02/08/18 »

Nice photos; lovely hills. I don't think that I have been along Sharp Edge. Halls Fell Ridge is a gem, but I think I descended to Mungrisdale a bit to the north, over Bowscale Fell, pub in mind!

PS - why can't they just be Fells rather than "Wainwrights"? (a general question not aimed at you in particular, Harry)
I must confess that I switch off a bit when I see someone referring to Wainwrights in a trip report.

Same in Scotland; why do they have to be Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds, Uncle Tom Cobleys whatever?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry_keogh

« Reply #2 on: 13:53:48, 02/08/18 »

Nice photos; lovely hills. I don't think that I have been along Sharp Edge. Halls Fell Ridge is a gem, but I think I descended to Mungrisdale a bit to the north, over Bowscale Fell, pub in mind!

PS - why can't they just be Fells rather than "Wainwrights"? (a general question not aimed at you in particular, Harry)
I must confess that I switch off a bit when I see someone referring to Wainwrights in a trip report.

Same in Scotland; why do they have to be Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds, Uncle Tom Cobleys whatever?

Well... I suppose either will do. Fell as a generic term, and Wainwright as the classification. I do like classifications but that's because I'm a total geek (and maybe also partly because I work with databases for a living).

To be fair, I did refer to the person I saw as a fell runner and not a Wainwright runner  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:03:29, 02/08/18 »
To be fair, I did refer to the person I saw as a fell runner and not a Wainwright runner  :)

:) that's all right then!

Please feel free to ignore me; the Wainwright thing is just a little pet hate of mine.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy